Darrell Dickey Hired....

megagreen

I know most members of this board prefer to see the Dodge years as some aberration on the grand rise of NT football, but from the outside looking in Dickey was the only guy to win at North Texas since Hayden Fry. Of course, if he doesn't perform at TSSM he may have used all that up.

EDIT: FONTS!!!?!?!?!!!

Sir. Your statement above is an oxymoron. You cannot be a moderator of this board as well as an outsider looking in. Sir. :bow:

Please don't ban me. Sir.

And 4 consecutive New Orleans Bowl trips ... :thumbsu:

GO MEAN GREEN !!!

Ok, (and hopefully for the last time) four bowl trips, a record setting conference winning streak, two national rushing champs, and who was it that came around to hire him away from us?

Thats what I thought.

Even Jerry Moore, with an 11-11 record, got hired away from us.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Ok, (and hopefully for the last time) four bowl trips, a record setting conference winning streak, two national rushing champs, and who was it that came around to hire him away from us?

Thats what I thought.

+1 for you Sir...and, I do hope it is "for the last time".

Thats what I thought.

No one has hired away Johnny Jones, ergo, we should fire Johnny Jones.

No one has hired away Johnny Jones, ergo, we should fire Johnny Jones.

This is the football forum. I don't know about basketball or how fast b-ball coaches are fired and/or hired away when they are successful.

Besides, does Johnny Jones have a bunker mentality, and encourage his team to have the same? Does Johnny Jones actually try to win all of his OCC games?

Because I don't know how many times I heard non-UNT people (and many UNT alums) say "and who did North Texas actually beat during that time that amounted to a hill of beans?"

Edited by SilverEagle

I just don't see how dickey keeps getting these offensive coordinator jobs?!

D-A-D-D-Y

(But what the heck, these days you have to use what you can use--would anyone on this board turn down their own dad's recommendation if it helped you get you a nice paying job)?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 2

Dickey exited this place with multiple health problems in spit of all his success here. If RV and Administration been able to push up time line on new stadium and better pay or appropriate pay for Dickey's assistant coaches the Dickey era might not have ended. As far as Dickey being against the fans I just didn't see it without some cause.

Most on this board were critical about his recruiting tactics, play calling, and many other aspects of his coaching here. Someone posted about DD's bunker mentality. I believe posts on this board and Scotties old board led DD to use contents of those postings as motivation of his players. Based on content of posts I'd have used them as motivating tool also. As far as black jerseys are concerned this may have arose our of issue DD had with RV although I can't remember all the facts leading up to the situation. Prior to black jersey's I don't believe I'd ever seen DD disrespect our fans or media, but if I'm wrong I'm sure another poster will correct me. If y'all say DD disrespected fan because maybe DD thought MGC and other donations to AD were lacking based on his football team success then you may have a misguided point.

I would agree with DD that AD donations from a university with 34,000 plus students at the time were deplorable and UNT fan base and booster should have been contributing much more. Base on this I believe many felt that DD was taking a personal shot at the students, and alumni. I'd submit that DD was only stating fact about UNT Athletics fund raising.

Dickey leaves enter Dodge!!! You'd have thought this we the second coming of the savor. Everyone was positive and kicking DD a%^ on this board about all the horrible things he'd done or was as a person. If I didn't know better I'd have thought DD did something like Dave Bliss at Baylor (Dickey did far from it). The "Todd Dodge" coach that could do no wrong was here and thank God for it (not all felt this way but the majority did). Past that when TD brought all these assistant HC want a bee collage coaches in it was only going to help UNT's recruiting. The faithful had enough of UNT's Stealth recruiting tactics.

I still think many respect Todd Dodge here more than Darrel Dickey and that's a horrible shame. Todd Dodges 5 and something record against Dickey's 4 conference championships, 26 games conference win streak, 2 national rushing leaders in consecutive years (OH did I say National-as in all of the US?), NO Bowl appearances and so forth.

Past that DD actually has assistance coaches leave his staff for other collage coaching position with BCS schools. Man, how can that happen if DD was so undisciplined with his football team? If this discipline issue were true it would have bleed over to his assistant coaches and no one would have wanted to hire him. Ok, RF our OC had no business going into the stands no matter what the fan said about his team or his mother. I Digress.

Now enter new stadium, UNT get the money needed to solve all it's ill's, get high profile coach, good enough pay to attract good assistance, and finally a new stadium which is the centerpoint for recruiting quality players.

Man, don't you know DD wishes he could have survived until this year as coach. Todd Dodge almost did with a 5 and something record.

DD good luck with coach Fran.. With any luck y'all can build a winner and Fran will be hired by a BCS school and you can ride his coattails back to a good HC position or AC with BCS school.

Not saying DD was the coach for UNT, but based on his accomplishments at UNT DD has to be the most unappreciated HC we ever had that actually produced for UNT. Coaches that didn't produce squat here at UNT get more respect than DD and that's a shame. :notfair:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Dickey leaves enter Dodge!!! You'd have thought this we the second coming of the savor. Everyone was positive and kicking DD a%^ on this board about all the horrible things he'd done or was as a person.

People keep saying that everyone on GMG was positive about the Dodge hire. It's not true. I went back and looked at those discussions. There was an outspoken group of people who thought it was a terrible idea to hire another high school coach (which has happened only three times since 1980 at the top college level).

People keep talking about DD's assistants leaving in droves. Since I was not around during the "good old days", could somebody tell me who left for a BCS school besides Deloach? And who left for another FBS school besides Leftwich and Deloach?

I think Kitchens left for Alabama or Arkansas?

And 4 consecutive New Orleans Bowl trips ... :thumbsu:

GO MEAN GREEN !!!

Did you realize that in those four consecutive New Orleans Bowl trips that he won exactly two against conference foes with winning records...an 8-3 Muts team that started the streak and a 7-5 New Mexico State team. Furthermore, if Troy and Florida Atlantic had been conference members when we lost to them during that period none of it would've happened. Worse yet, the first trip was with a losing record.

Did you realize that in those four consecutive New Orleans Bowl trips that he won exactly two against conference foes with winning records...an 8-3 Muts team that started the streak and a 7-5 New Mexico State team. Furthermore, if Troy and Florida Atlantic had been conference members when we lost to them during that period none of it would've happened. Worse yet, the first trip was with a losing record.

Which is probably why the sleeping Giant didn't wake up.

Furthermore, if Troy and Florida Atlantic had been conference members when we lost to them during that period none of it would've happened.

What is the point of engaging in what-ifs to denigrate the past accomplishments of your alma mater? Is UNT's history of football accomplishments not sorry enough already without coming up with scenarios where it would've been worse?

• Upvote 1

I would be curious to know how many bowls there were during our run, vs the current landscape.

What type of schedules are we facing now; it seems like there are fewer body bag games.

I don't mean to dispute whether or not the Belt is stronger, just want to see if there are variables out there that are inflating the records of current Belt teams. Factors that the 2001 - 2004 teams could not capitalize on and on paper make them seem worse.

That 2001 MUTS team was on fire until the Denton game. Their offense was average a ridiculous number at yards/snap.