New Mwc Thread

meangreenbob

Funny to see a TCU fan throwing stones about the quality of a stadium...and remind me again why half this board was congratulating them and calling for a co-championship? Another few years of success and their douchebaggery will be much more than SMU's.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

mwc board of directors meets in las vegas jan. 24 & 25, and expansion discussion is on agenda.interesting that of texas schools mentioned on mwc forum, utsa was 1st choice and we were last should smu,utep, and houston be unavailable and mvc expand into texas.

UTSA is first on fans list. :rolleyes: The school might not be first on the list of the people that ultimately make the decision.

Would be interesting to know the real school backgrounds of those poo-poo'n UNT.

Thankfully, we have a Prez' at UNT who has swam with the NCAA sharks and consultant Chuck Neinas who I would bet will be called upon when needed to help our case.

Anyone else don't think the MWC would prefer an 8 million populated North Texas Metroplex in their league compared to 2 schools whose populations together don't touch our school's home base and 2 new WAC schools that might find it difficult to handle a lawsuit expense of trying to get out of the WAC? :lol: Cooler heads I predict will prevail with all of this and those heads won't be consulting the MWC smack boards, either.

GMG!

PS: One of the most ironic aspects of all this is how SMU is (apparently) going to have to make a choice of which either choice could catapult our athletic program to the league they do not choose. Can justice possibly be any sweeter and to have it served to them in such a way that they have no control whatsoever?

GMG!

:gym: PS: Who is pushing these 2 other Texas schools with no semblance of NCAA FBS suceess or any past legacies such as an Abner Haynes Sun Bowl era in Mean Green Country, a Mean Joe Green Era that all but beat Frank Broyles NCAA National Championship contender in 1968 or even a Hayden Fry Era with Hayden Fry type successes on an national scale?

I would still be interested to know just who it is on a MWC smack board who are suddenly enamored with TSU (SM) who never drew good football crowds in winning years and a would-be football school who has yet to tee it up at all, namely UTSA?

Anyone else think all this a tad strange? And why the hell aren't they touting Midwestern State out of Wichta Falls, Texas, while they stumble all over their apparent sports stupidity of Texas college football? :blink:B)

And now TCU'ers suddenly having a little Mean Green problem on the MWC board? Come on, Frogs, what goes up will come down and the UT Longhorns should humble yall maybe just a bit on that subject?

Give the TCU of old about 4 or 5 .500 or less W/L football seasons and then lets see just how sweet the Big East becomes for them and how long those "snow-filled" trips East will suddenly become.

TRUE STORY: One TCU'er told me that what was happening between those 2 Texas Interstates at UNT's Mean Green Village was one of the reasons they very (seemedly) & quickly drew up their stadium "do-up" plans and he was as serious as a heart attack when he said it. I doubted him and told him "no way" on any of that and he said it truly was a reason of several--(they would never say it was their top reason no matter what, of course). Then he asked me didn't I think the timing of TCU doing all this sorta' aligned with our turning of the dirt for our new stadium when that took place? I told him "you don't have to say anything else to convince me on that now." :) NOTE: BTW, the TCU guy I mention had taken some hours at UNT so he knew our situation well, but he worked for a TCU firm and.......he also booked me for one of his employees wedding receptions.

GMG ! !

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's apparent that the people making those comments are stuck in the northern reaches of the country and have no idea what goes on in Texas. They have no problem talking like they know what's going on, however.

It really is interesting to see the TCU elitism coming out when they are literally only a few seasons removed from bringing in 10k fans a game to their stadium.

I work with many TCU alums and just this week one was telling me that they hated SMU because they were the "rich" kids. But he said he is going to have to start changing his tune, because TCU tuition and fees have more than doubled since he graduated and the price of a TCU education is about comparable now to SMUs.

UNT football will get better, you can count on it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I doubt UTSA gets a MWC invite. My guess is at the very least they will want to invite somebody that has some stability of having a football program....preferably FBS. UH, UTEP, SMU and UNT are the logical choices they should look at. While it may seem my thought is biased but my logical choice for the MWC to go if they want to expand in Texas (and why wouldn't they want to) is you go after UH and UNT. Both are huge public universities and the ability to cater to about 12-14 million people all together. It just really seems like a no brainer to me.

I doubt UTSA gets a MWC invite. My guess is at the very least they will want to invite somebody that has some stability of having a football program....preferably FBS. UH, UTEP, SMU and UNT are the logical choices they should look at. While it may seem my thought is biased but my logical choice for the MWC to go if they want to expand in Texas (and why wouldn't they want to) is you go after UH and UNT. Both are huge public universities and the ability to cater to about 12-14 million people all together. It just really seems like a no brainer to me.

why would HOUSTON even consider mwc? we are 700 miles away from albuquerque; they would be about 900. neither school's fans travel to games as it is, and its not nor will be a bcs conference. why leave cusa? just asking.

why would HOUSTON even consider mwc? we are 700 miles away from albuquerque; they would be about 900. neither school's fans travel to games as it is, and its not nor will be a bcs conference. why leave cusa? just asking.

I don't think Houston would jump until they know what Big East is doing. Even if Big East decides not to expand, I think it would be tough for any CUSA team except UTEP to switch. With TCU, Utah, etc leaving I don't see how MWC gets AQ spot plus CUSA just signed a new deal with ESPN. I think only real advantage MWC has over CUSA is that it is now about as stable as you can get (unless you are Big 10 or SEC). CUSA does have risk of losing teams if Big East/ACC/SEC expand (SEC won't take CUSA team but SEC takes somebody from ACC who steals from Big East who takes CUSA).

Being in a conference because a few fans can travel to games is the worst reason to go about it. This is a different time now....if fans can figure out a way to go LA or AL, TN etc then they will figure out a way to go to NM or ID if they want too. And so few fans(especially ours) even travel to road games. The MWC is clearly the better conference overall.

I look at this like I look at a draft...rather than drafting for need the proper way to go about it is drafting by the best available player. The MWC is better...they may not have the best TV deal but that can all change...nothing is ever a lock.

Green Mean was looking at it from the MWC's perspective; not Houston's. Those two markets have more viewers than any currently in the Mountain West. From his perspective he thinks that the MWC should look at the potential TV dollars.

I agree with you that it is highly unlikely that UH will consider (strongly) abandoning a conference that they help found to explore the lateral unknown.

UNT, however, is totally different. It would allow the MWC to continue in the fifth largest market. Our number of students and alumni approximately doubles the total for SMU and TCU combined, giving them an even greater presence. Further, our leaving the SBC would not disrupt CUSA or the WAC.

On the other hand unless one could talk BYU into returning (million to one odds), the WAC or CUSA would be impacted when picking a 12th team. If Utah State were chosen as the twelfth team it would wreck the WAC unless Benson could talk Montana and Montana State into joining. If UTEP were the other team, CUSA would either take LaTech (again causing a problem for the WAC) or a Sun Belt team such as Troy or Middle Tennessee.

Edited by GrayEagle

Green Mean was looking at it from the MWC's perspective; not Houston's. Those two markets have more viewers than any currently in the Mountain West. From his perspective he thinks that the MWC should look at the potential TV dollars.

I agree with you that it is highly unlikely that UH will consider (strongly) abandoning a conference that they help found to explore the lateral unknown.

UNT, however, is totally different. It would allow the MWC to continue in the fifth largest market. Our number of students and alumni approximately doubles the total for SMU and TCU combined, giving them an even greater presence. Further, our leaving the SBC would not disrupt CUSA or the WAC.

On the other hand unless one could talk BYU into returning (million to one odds), the WAC or CUSA would be impacted when picking a 12th team. If Utah State were chosen as the twelfth team it would wreck the WAC unless Benson could talk Montana and Montana State into joining. If UTEP were the other team, CUSA would either take LaTech (again causing a problem for the WAC) or a Sun Belt team such as Troy or Middle Tennessee.

I have to believe that if UTEP left CUSA that we would be the replacement pick over Louisiana Tech. I know SMU would be vehemently against it, but common sense should overrule them...I would expect more competition from Troy or MTSU.

I have to believe that if UTEP left CUSA that we would be the replacement pick over Louisiana Tech. I know SMU would be vehemently against it, but common sense should overrule them...I would expect more competition from Troy or MTSU.

I don't believe that UTEP would ever leave CUSA without another Texas team going with them. At least that's what their fans say; I don't know about their administration.

One other thing...if SMU was so vehemently against our joining the same conference then why would they schedule six games with us beginning in 2014? Again, their fans might be against it but who can speak for their administration? Also, I'm not so sure that Tulsa would vote against us and maybe not even Rice.

I don't believe that UTEP would ever leave CUSA without another Texas team going with them. At least that's what their fans say; I don't know about their administration.

UTEP's president made a statement to the effect of "We want to stay with the Texas teams" when the massive conference upheaval hit.

One other thing...if SMU was so vehemently against our joining the same conference then why would they schedule six games with us beginning in 2014? Again, their fans might be against it but who can speak for their administration? Also, I'm not so sure that Tulsa would vote against us and maybe not even Rice.

Well I think you could argue that SMU wants to get the attendance boost and local rivalry of UNT without giving up the conference advantage of being in CUSA.

Fortunately, men who are making business decisions and not fans who think their mid-major is better than yours will be the folks who decides who is in what conference when this is all over.

We have a lot to offer and anyone educated on what we're doing and what direction we're going will see the business case for UNT. I have faith in our leadership in this move.

• Upvote 1

It's apparent that the people making those comments are stuck in the northern reaches of the country and have no idea what goes on in Texas. They have no problem talking like they know what's going on, however.

It really is interesting to see the TCU elitism coming out when they are literally only a few seasons removed from bringing in 10k fans a game to their stadium.

I work with many TCU alums and just this week one was telling me that they hated SMU because they were the "rich" kids. But he said he is going to have to start changing his tune, because TCU tuition and fees have more than doubled since he graduated and the price of a TCU education is about comparable now to SMUs.

UNT football will get better, you can count on it.

Well, I have attended TCU games since 1985, and I don't remember a season with only 10k fans in

our stadium. :unsure:

GO FROGS!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

Well, I have attended TCU games since 1985, and I don't remember a season with only 10k fans in

our stadium. :unsure:

GO FROGS!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

PF, Coach Patterson actually did say "wasn't that long ago we were having 10,000 fans around here" in a feature sports article in the FW Star Telegram. I think it was Jennifer Briggs (whatever her last name is now) column and probably 4-6 weeks ago. If I can find it in FWST archives I will post it but...Coach Patterson did say it in that article because I couldn't believe he would want to say that at all. (Of course, he could have been exagerating that low number, too, is the other side of the coin).

ON ANOTHER FRONT: Not fully sure why some TCU'ers are throwing UNT under the bus on the MWC board other than for the fact that many of us would understand why TCU would "NOT" want UNT to take their place in their soon-to-be former conference.

Sorta' funny how our having a new stadium on the horizon has changed a few attitudes toward North Texas from Cowtown as would be very easy to predict would happen since Fouts was hardly a program threat of a stadium for any other Texas collegiate competitor of ours, but now that that old program killer of a stadium is no longer our home, we seem to have developed some new critics from an outpost that previously was not a critic at all. :rolleyes:

I also think astute college sports fans in the DFW Metroplex would certainly be able to understand all the reasons why TCU could suddenly have these "negative" attitudes now toward North Texas with our new stadium's debut happening this September; that is, except 1 or 2 on this very board who for whatever reason have mostly negative takes on anything North Texas wants to do to elevate itself; that is, 1 or 2 who don't even accept our enormous, burgeoning constituency numbers as a reason to say we actually have pull or a presence in the Metroplex. Last I checked, good TV ratings come from large constituencies who may not always show for the game but do get counted as viewers from the Nielsen TV ratings group. Our new stadium will convert some of those longtime TV viewers (only) to actual "butts in seats" fans at our Mean Green Stadium. Mark it...

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen