Riley Dodge Is Our Qb

Harry

This guy has too much heart and a lot of ability. He has earned this with the season he had. I think Coach Mac understands this. Riley had a very nice finish to this last season and I think it is his job to lose. GMG!

What's the saying .... Not sure what "it" is, but I know it when I see it- and Riley's got "it".

With all this kid has gone through and the way he keeps coming back - never count him out

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would think it would be wise to allow the new coaching staff to evaluate all aspects of the program and decide who is going to start and play where

while I am sure Riley is a fine young man, I like the dedication he showed by staying on and playing and from his dads comments and support of his son is is not hard to see the Dodges are a good family.....but the facts are that his own father as head coach and Chico as OC has both decided that someone else was going to be the starting QB this year and that someone else was also going to be the second string QB this year......and only when both were injured did Riley again get the call.....and while he played well......that says nothing about how much better or poorer the two that were pegged above him would have played if available...nor does it say much about the issues that Riley faced in previous seasons.....the ability to last a full season

which is why it would be wise to allow the new coaching staff and the existing OC make the call as to who starts and plays where

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Let me say just 1 thing.... Riley's ability to be quarterback has never been drawn in the question for this next year.. but OUR responsibility for his health is. We cannot allow him to suffer an injury next year that would deny him from enjoying life as a healthy adult. When going up against teams like Alabama we risk serious injury to Riley though his warrior nature is one to deny that. Don't mean to sound cheesy but we run that risk by playing him next year as starting QB.

Edited by All About UNT
  • Upvote 1

Let me say just 1 thing.... Riley's ability to be quarterback has never been drawn in the question for this next year.. but OUR responsibility for his health is. We cannot allow him to suffer an injury next year that would deny him from enjoying life as a healthy adult. When going up against teams like Alabama we risk serious injury to Riley though his warrior nature is one to deny that. Don't mean to sound cheesy but we run that risk by playing him next year as starting QB.

I'm pretty sure he understands the risks involved in being an FBS quarterback and he wouldn't be here if he didn't want to play.

This guy has too much heart and a lot of ability. He has earned this with the season he had. I think Coach Mac understands this. Riley had a very nice finish to this last season and I think it is his job to lose. GMG!

Riley's own dad didn't start this season with him at quarterback because of his injuries. I think McCarney should go into next season with no preconception of who should start.

Coach Mac said the past is the past, and what's done is done. Clean Slate for everyone. In other words, Riley's accomplishments and faults in the past do not matter and Coach Mac and the new staff will evaluate in Spring Ball and Two-A-Days to put the best 22 players on the field who will help the team win.

• Upvote 1

Just a guess, but this will mainly be Coach Canales' decision. Under Coach Canales' total control the mean green scored on the average 33.8 points a game.

Just guessing again, but I think that Coach McCarney will mainly be focusing on improving the defense in the off season. IMHO the offense doesn't need his attention.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Riley has busted his a$$ off this season, but its going to be a great battle for the starting job. Whens the last time UNT has had 3 qb go in to battle for the starting job?? We wont know for sure about tune getting a medical redshirt for a month or so ive heard. The rule is that you cant play for more than 20% of the teams games, so it equals 2.4 then you round it up so mathematically Tune should get one more year but you never know with the NCAA

They are going to pick the best QB for the job including IMO one or two new quarterbacks. Riley will be very hard to beat, he had a great year considering he started out as a WR and was very rusty at the beginning but got better has the year progressed. The only reason Riley didn't start this year is because they didn't think he had recovered from injuries. Tune looked very good this year and if he gets a medical redshirt, he will certainly be in the mix. Thompson played only slightly more than his wasted freshman year, remains basically an unknown.

Thompson.... wasted freshman year, remains basically an unknown.

I beg to differ on it still being a "wasted freshman year". Since it is probably 99% sure he will get a medical redshirt for 2010, losing that year of eligibility in 2009 is no longer an issue. That one drive in 2009 against Arkansas State did wonders for his confidence and showed everyone that he has potential to be a good QB.

• Upvote 1

I do not disagree with the positive things that have been said in this thread regarding Riley. If our defensive tackles were as competetive as Riley, just think where we would be. Unfortunately, you are always one play away from losing your starting quarterback, or any other player for that matter. With Riley, the chances of him being injured are much higher just because of his size, and due to previous injuries. Coach Mccarney is not going to have as much time to turn this thing around as Dodge did, nor do I think he wants the time. That said, I do not believe Riley will be the starter next year.

I beg to differ on it still being a "wasted freshman year". Since it is probably 99% sure he will get a medical redshirt for 2010, losing that year of eligibility in 2009 is no longer an issue. That one drive in 2009 against Arkansas State did wonders for his confidence and showed everyone that he has potential to be a good QB.

If he does get a medical redshirt, it has nothing to do with his freshman year? First, I don't think you get medical redshirts until your original elegiblity is up. So he will be a junior next year with the possibility of getting another year after his senior year. If he had not been used as freshman, he would be a sophomore next year with the possibility of getting another year after his senior year. In other words, he gets another year to replace his injury year, he still lost his first year for one drive.

• Downvote 1

If he does get a medical redshirt, it has nothing to do with his freshman year? First, I don't think you get medical redshirts until your original elegiblity is up. So he will be a junior next year with the possibility of getting another year after his senior year. If he had not been used as freshman, he would be a sophomore next year with the possibility of getting another year after his senior year. In other words, he gets another year to replace his injury year, he still lost his first year for one drive.

not true...he didnt use his red shirt freshman year and got hurt his sophomore year and will use his RS for that...so he should be a RS Sophomore this coming season with 3 full ellagible years.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I would think it would be wise to allow the new coaching staff to evaluate all aspects of the program and decide who is going to start and play where

while I am sure Riley is a fine young man, I like the dedication he showed by staying on and playing and from his dads comments and support of his son is is not hard to see the Dodges are a good family.....but the facts are that his own father as head coach and Chico as OC has both decided that someone else was going to be the starting QB this year and that someone else was also going to be the second string QB this year......and only when both were injured did Riley again get the call.....and while he played well......that says nothing about how much better or poorer the two that were pegged above him would have played if available...nor does it say much about the issues that Riley faced in previous seasons.....the ability to last a full season

which is why it would be wise to allow the new coaching staff and the existing OC make the call as to who starts and plays where

Unless you have inside information, those are not the facts. According to all reports, the decision to move to WR last spring was Riley's and Riley's alone. If he had not made that decision, it is certainly possible that he could have won the #1 or #2 QB spot.

Obviously, Coach Mac and Coach C will make the call, not posters on this board. We are just throwing out our opinions. Personally, I like Tune to start if he can somehow get another year of eligibility. But Riley made a strong case for himself this season to be the starter going into spring.

Unless you have inside information, those are not the facts. According to all reports, the decision to move to WR last spring was Riley's and Riley's alone. If he had not made that decision, it is certainly possible that he could have won the #1 or #2 QB spot.

Obviously, Coach Mac and Coach C will make the call, not posters on this board. We are just throwing out our opinions. Personally, I like Tune to start if he can somehow get another year of eligibility. But Riley made a strong case for himself this season to be the starter going into spring.

I was under te impression that the decision was made by the staff. Riley just gracefully agreed to do it.

Riley was a soldier who excelled under difficult circumstances this season. We get to hit from ground zero again next season, a ground from which Tune and Thompson were our top guys.

I still like Riley as a WR/utilty guy who provides a change of pace package...wildcat/zone read/whatever.

If anything his durability will always be in question under center.

While I think Riley is the best we've got I think it's an open tryout with Mac in town. I think he will win the starting job, but I'm sure whoever is backup #1 will need to be mentally and physically prepared to grab the reigns if Riley is unfortuantely knocked out again. Riley is the definition of tough, no quit in him.

I was under te impression that the decision was made by the staff. Riley just gracefully agreed to do it.

I did some quick Internet searching, and I could not immediately find anything concrete one way or the other. I sure thought I remembered it being solely Riley's decision, but maybe not.

If anything his durability will always be in question under center.

He proved himself to be more durable this season than Nathan Tune or Derek Thompson.

I did some quick Internet searching, and I could not immediately find anything concrete one way or the other. I sure thought I remembered it being solely Riley's decision, but maybe not.

He proved himself to be more durable this season than Nathan Tune or Derek Thompson.

by "his decision" if it was "his decision" I would hope it meant it was a decision between "you can play receiver and probably see significant playing time or you can play QB and probably see a lot of pine"

and Riley decided to play

I would really hope a D1-A coach would not leave the decision about whether or not to play any particular position up to a player and especially at the QB position.....I further feel to do so specifically in the case of an important position like QB and with the particular player being the coaches son would set a pretty bad precedent for the rest of the team

hey coach I weigh 350 and im 5'-10.5"......but I can punch it in on the goal line!

Coach Mac said the past is the past, and what's done is done. Clean Slate for everyone. In other words, Riley's accomplishments and faults in the past do not matter and Coach Mac and the new staff will evaluate in Spring Ball and Two-A-Days to put the best 22 players on the field who will help the team win.

Yep.