Unt Cracks Top 25 in next few years?

football fan

Almost a believer...one more week and I'm in.

I'm a believer in Chico, but i'll believe future top 25 talk when I see how we stack up against K-State. I'd love to see us fired up in that game and put a scare into them. Obviously win the thing, but my kool-aid is all JJ's now.

I'm a believer in Chico, but i'll believe future top 25 talk when I see how we stack up against K-State. I'd love to see us fired up in that game and put a scare into them. Obviously win the thing, but my kool-aid is all JJ's now.

We are not going to compete with K-State. Period. I don't care who the coach is, we do not have that kind of talent. Whether or not we can be a future top 25 team is not only going to take great practice week and game day coaching--which we have certainly seen from Coach Canales--it is going to take great recruiting.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Under Coach C, this may be a reality within 3 years!!!! Believe it people!! We have a diamond in the rough in our very own hands as we speak!! I sure hope we don't blindly give him away. Any believers out there?!!

Would be a kick in the junk if ULL or another Conference mate picks him while we search for our Superstar

IF we beat ULM...and IF we do not lose to KSU by something like 65-7...then I am just not sure how we could NOT hire Coach Canales. The dude is just awesome...and he has given us some hope to boot.

Did you all ever stop to think what even a decent college coach could do in the belt in a down year with a North Texas team. There is no reason not to do a full search or to think that Canales is the second coming. I don't want this head coaching job just handed to no one.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Under Coach C, this may be a reality within 3 years!!!! Believe it people!! We have a diamond in the rough in our very own hands as we speak!! I sure hope we don't blindly give him away. Any believers out there?!!

Seriously? I hope you are being sarcastic. We beat a 3-5 MTSU team and those wins were against Peay, ULL, ULM. We beat a 1-6 WKU and that win was against ULL.

You're predicting a top 25 in 3 years based on this? I'm all about being optimistic but lets also try to be realistic.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

tap the brakes on the national championship. do you realize the teams we beat are well under .500?

• Upvote 2

Not tap dancing, but my only hesitation is not knowing just how poor an in game coach Dodge really was... Likewise, not knowing how badly the team had tuned him out. Regardless of what you think of Canales, this turn around has been nothing short of staggering when you consider the last several years (or just the first half of this season!). What the higher ups have to decide is how much of that is because we've gone from miserably led to adequately led, or if Canales is REALLY that good.

I could take over an Olympic weightlifting competition from an infant and look pretty good. I still wouldn't be the right guy to represent our country in weightlifting. Point isn't to trash Dodge - point is, some important people are going to have to dig deep and determine just how far gone this thing was under Dodge in order to accurately evaluate Canales' performance. WHY is it so much better with the same players and coaches? Is it removing Dodge or adding Canales... or, most likely, what percentage of both? Would appointing DeLoach or Peterson interim HC have yielded significantly different results? We have to answer these questions as best we can.

I love what Chico has done as much as anyone. If someone had told me we'd do this a month ago, I'd have thought they were certifiable. But this is a huge hire, and we may well be picking him over established names like Jim Leavitt, etc... tough, tough call.

• Upvote 6

We are not going to compete with K-State. Period. I don't care who the coach is, we do not have that kind of talent. Whether or not we can be a future top 25 team is not only going to take great practice week and game day coaching--which we have certainly seen from Coach Canales--it is going to take great recruiting.

Agreed...UNT is not at the level of K-State at this point and time. Top 25? Probably several years from that, but I like your outlook. Another good win for the program today!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

So our standards should be based on Dodges track record?

no, but he has proven that he should be considered for the job. the boys are responding well to him, clock management is what it should be, and the team is winning. no complaints can be found.

There is only one team in the Sunbelt that has an overall winning record and a Canales lead team lost to them by 6 points and was in a position to win until the end. That WKU team we rolled just beat Ark. St. which happens to be one of the better teams in the Conference. MTSU has not had the season they wanted but they were a preseason favorite and are as loaded as anyone in the Belt. What's more is this team is so plagued with injuries that I am surprised they could hang with anyone much less win.

All of this might not seem special to many on this board but it has my attention in a big way. If we beat LA Monroe I think Canales deserves the job.

On a side note. Those of you that said you would leave if Canales is hired. Be sure to follow through on that. I will be here regardless and will be happy to help cover the lost donations.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2