Lets Just See Where Everyone Stands...

MeanGreenTexan

**WARNING** This poll is public, so people will be able to see which option you picked.

Don't wuss-out now folks! Put your name on your opinion.

I would expect everyone who has contributed to the pages and pages of threads to put their name on one of the 4 most cited options. If you haven't been participating in the threads and are just waiting to see, then vote only if you want to...

Of course, if there's another option that I'm just not thinking of right now, feel free to post.

I think this will give everyone (maybe even RV :ph34r: ) a clear understanding of where GoMeanGreen.com, as a whole, stands on Chico as of today (11/12). I also hope it clears up a little confusion of "You're either Pro-Canales or Anti-Canales", as I imagine the middle two choices will dominate this poll.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

Of course...this poll is null and void as of tomorrow evening.

I don't think it changes much after tomorrows game. However, some people might change their minds after tomorrows game, and that's fine, you can always change your answer.

I think the only edit I would have to make is removing the "MT" from the "...If he can beat MT & LAMo..." option.

I think its only fair that Chico does whatever he does, and then gets stacked up against the other candidates. He could win the next three games and there are still 3 or 4 coaches I would rather have than him. He IS the current interim head coach, so if he so desires to apply for the job, I don't see why it would hurt to consider his entire resume, and then make a decision. If he is not the best option, then tough luck for Chico. We just don't know what the true options are just yet. It's all rumors and "insider" info.

If we are going to hire an assistant coach from anywhere, and Chico wins two of the last three, I would hire him.

I went with #2, but I'm somewhere between 2 and 3. I would be very satisfied with him as a hire if he beats MUTS and ULM. But that doesn't mean it would be impossible for a better candidate to seek the job. I don't care who it is, hire the best candidate. Just get us wins, and do it in a way that enhances rather than detracts from UNT's respectability.

• Upvote 2

To be open and honest: I made a slight edit to the 3rd option, removing the clause: "I don't care about the other candidates" as this probably does not reflect this school of thought.

So to differentiate between option 2 & option 3:

2) you're more concerned with what other coaches we could possibly hire.

3) you're more concerned with Chico proving he can win games.

I think options 1 & 4 speak for themselves.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

I'm somewhere between option two and three. It's still amazing to me that people want almost a perfect record for the rest of the season before they would put Coach Canales on an equal basis with other candidates.

Many still don't get it. The accomplishments of most of the other candidates were achieved in systems with much greater resources, greater traditions, and more supportive athmospheres and/or cultures than here at North Texas. Whatever Coach Canales achieves, he's achieving under very adverse circumstances (numerous injuries and the turmoil of the head coach being fired).

The fact that Coach Canales has seen all of our warts and still wants to be the head coach scores a big + in my book.

• Upvote 2

I am impressed with what I have seen from Coach Chico so far, and I already opined in another thread that I think the man is qualified to be considered. I'm coming around to the idea stated previously in this thread that if we hire an assistant from any program, Coach Chico has earned the inside track.

I'm just holding out to see what options we have to consider when Neinas checks his traps and delivers the results of his hunt.

The fact that Coach Canales has seen all of our warts and still wants to be the head coach scores a big + in my book.

I like Canales, I don't want to come across as being anti-Canales. But there should be no points given for wanting this job. Name another HC position Canales will be offered this season. Of course he wants this job, it's his only opportunity to become a HC.

Agree CE.

I voted option 2.

I acknowledge this is just speculation, but I think it is a worthwhile exercise to question where you think the team would have finished had Coach Dodge finished out the year. Then, put that up against where Coach Canales finishes.

The exercise gets to some fundamental questions: Does passion from the top matter? Did the changes that Coach Canales put in place, which appear to have affected the attitude of the team as a whole, matter? Does attitude, self-respect and "lock the gate" matter? Or is this all just coincidence?

Same players and assistants (adding a couple of players coming of injury), different head coach.

Did he make a difference?

GMG

One benefit to hiring Canales is continuity. Whatever momentum/foothold he currently has in the program would carry over into next season. Everything would start over with an outside hire in place and we would probably be 2 years away from any progress.

Now, continuation of "bad" is not what we want..........

Although hardly a scientific poll, there seems to be a trend developing here; at least, for the moment.

I just hate that this has turned into a personality contest rather than our hiring a new HFC based on some real longterm success. You can look at a photo of Coach C and guess that he's truly a nice guy, but gol' darn it, we have a whole slew of nice guys who have come thru that Athletic Dept. who aren't even in the business anymore. Plus...how many of our last 6 hires got jobs in the Big 12, Big 10, SEC, Big East, etc, etc, etc (hows about none) :blink:

Yet the whole idea of using a very short SBC season to determine any coach selection (if that is truly whats happening here) kinda' shows we have more problems in Denton than just deciding on a new HFC.

In my heart of hearts, I cannot see Chuck Neinas backing any of this looking at hires of his from schools who used his services in the past. What is the magicical mystery part of all this some of us are missing here with Canales?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

BTW....I would have voted for option 2. But all the Canales-connected posters who have been on here constantly doing his bidding.....drove me to vote for the last option.

But I fully expect he will get the job.

I think the new President and his Board of Regents will have their say soon and not one of them is a poster on GMG.com if you can only imagine that. Do they even know that this board is going to put Chico's contract together or should we even bother to tell them. :rolleyes:

"IF" Canales actually got this job, it will have been the easiest HFC's job to get at a school our level (with "3" Sun Belt wins for the hiring criteria for crissakes'?) since an Offensive Coordinator with a multi-school journeyman's resume' (exactly like Chico's looks like) got our UNT job and he, too, without any skins on his wall, either, and that would be.......oh! wait a minute, that was Darrell Dickey! :huh:

DD got his job from a "one man search committee, ie, our then Athletic Director. Seems Helwig wasn't around too long, either, after that "QB sneak" of a hire as I recall. That hire was one that also split the M G Nation smack down the middle, but the stakes were not as high, that is, we weren't trying to show the UNT academic community that this $78 million stadium was not a wasted investment which showing them the same ol' 6 and 7 of what they have seen the last 4 decades of Mean Green football might make them think such.

This is not only our most important hire in history, but the ramifications will have far-reaching affects (I believe)for many on the UNT payroll. They need to get it right and Neinas might help them do it if only they will listen to one who does have a success rate with HFC recommendations. I know UNT's new Prez' and our Board of Regents will be listening since this is also happening under their watch, too. Not your everyday kind of HFC's hire even at North Texas.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I think the new President and his Board of Regents will have their say soon and not one of them is a poster on GMG.com if you can only imagine that. Do they even know that this board is going to put Chico's contract together or should we even bother to tell them. :rolleyes:

"IF" Canales actually got this job, it will have been the easiest HFC's job to get at a school our level (with "3" Sun Belt wins for the hiring criteria for crissakes'?) since an Offensive Coordinator with a multi-school journeyman's resume' (exactly like Chico's looks like) got our UNT job and he, too, without any skins on his wall, either, and that would be.......oh! wait a minute, that was Darrell Dickey! :huh:

DD got his job from a "one man search committee, ie, our then Athletic Director. Seems Helwig wasn't around too long, either, after that "QB sneak" of a hire as I recall. That hire was one that also split the M G Nation smack down the middle, but the stakes were not as high, that is, we weren't trying to show the UNT academic community that this $78 million stadium was not a wasted investment which showing them the same ol' 6 and 7 of what they have seen the last 4 decades of Mean Green football might make them think such.

This is not only our most important hire in history, but the ramifications will have far-reaching affects (I believe) many on the UNT payroll. They need to get it right and Neinas might help them do it if only they will listen. I know UNT's new Prez' and our BOR's will be listening since this is happening under their watch, too.

GMG!

Point taken Plum... To those doing the hiring Process....

DO NOT HIRE CANALES. If you do there will be a great divide in the Mean Green Nation, and 50% of the fans will no longer support the program, or anyone associated with Canales.

• Downvote 1

One benefit to hiring Canales is continuity. Whatever momentum/foothold he currently has in the program would carry over into next season. Everything would start over with an outside hire in place and we would probably be 2 years away from any progress.

Now, continuation of "bad" is not what we want..........

You do realize we are 2-7 with him as a coach on this staff, right?

Don't think a "continuity" argument is the best way to go here.

Point taken Plum... To those doing the hiring Process....

DO NOT HIRE CANALES. If you do there will be a great divide in the Mean Green Nation, and 50% of the fans will no longer support the program, or anyone associated with Canales.

Check the poll, ElToro6, does it look like only 1 or 2 don't agree with you and your apparent sole choice? :)

Canales has done nothing except hold a few pep rallys in Denton, given away a few T-shirts and mini-footballs and the only school I can think out of 120 in the FBS that would fall for this Professor Harold Hill (the Music Man) new guy in town leading the parade of, well, the one printed in Old English at the top of my Bachelor of Science degree.

BTW, what school is at the top of your degree?

Empty suit/empty resume' (just sayin).

GMG!

PS: This "so called" national search hire will be costly to many if its the wrong hire--trust me because the ones who ain't postin' hardly at all on this subject are the ones who are the most pissed. One of them even wants his $25,000 stadium donation back if this most low profile hire happens and that because of all this "trick or treat" charade going on, too, and there will be others just like him if this school mucks up another hire and you know what--we have a history of doing that quite, quite well.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

You do realize we are 2-7 with him as a coach on this staff, right?

Don't think a "continuity" argument is the best way to go here.

Good point, and just think last year he was part of a staff that went to a bowl game and won. I'm actually starting to feel sorry for Canales. He went to a bowl game the last three years at a BCS school and now what does he have to look forward to after this season?

Edited by SAM Coach
  • Upvote 1