Coach And Players

THOR

coach canales, dunbar, prior, white, ak47, some cheerleaders and scrappy are here at savannah elementary school participating in our awards ceremony. they are giving out stickers, chatting with parents/students, and helping us give awards. very cool and another great community showing by them. they are leaving here to go back to the athletic center then on to the airport. i thinks it's great that they are doing this for the community and on the morning before leaving for a game! the kids are loving it!

• Upvote 6

Personally, I don't think he should be campaigning for the job like this.....by visiting Savannah Elementary. These kids have no clue what other candidates are being talked to. Does every one of them get to talk to Savannah Elementary?

Only at North Texas......

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

I really doubt this is a Canales campaign move. I did hear that the Principal at the Elementary School is on the UNT Hiring Committee for the new HC, so maybe that is why Canales did this. Canales's intentions are so horrible, the nerve of this guy. I mean taking College Football players to a Elementary School to hand prizes to little kids, and talk to them about the importance of school and reading is such a horrible move by Canales. What a manipulative and selfish Political move by Canales to do such a thing in the community of Denton the morning before Canales goes on the road for probably the biggest game of his 5 game stint at IHC. Must some of you always try to attack Canales, even with something so positive as this?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I really doubt this is a Canales campaign move. I did hear that the Principal at the Elementary School is on the UNT Hiring Committee for the new HC, so maybe that is why Canales did this. Canales's intentions are so horrible, the nerve of this guy. I mean taking College Football players to a Elementary School to hand prizes to little kids, and talk to them about the importance of school and reading is such a horrible move by Canales. What a manipulative and selfish Political move by Canales to do such a thing in the community of Denton the morning before Canales goes on the road for probably the biggest game of his 5 game stint at IHC. Must some of you always try to attack Canales, even with something so positive as this?

I think you missed the sarcasm

http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56918

Sorry... I did miss that one. I agree with you, Canales is doing some good things in the community, with the students, and on the field with the team. Why People want to take that away from him is beyond me.

Be Careful though with your posts, you could be known as a "Canales Booster"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Sorry... I did miss that one. I agree with you, Canales is doing some good things in the community, with the students, and on the field with the team. Why People want to take that away from him is beyond me.

Be Careful though with your posts, you could be known as a "Canales Booster"

Right. By doing what any school would expect their head coach to do, some here are offended. And, yet, some of those same people didn't like the standoffish approach of Darrell Dickey.

I like Canales' willingness to play the part, even without the guarantee of the job. I hope he can lead the team to beat MTSU and ULM to make a more solid, tangible case for his candidacy. But, I have no problem with him doing what he would otherwise be expected to do as head coach.

• Upvote 4

You guys are comical.

Scenario One: Interim head coach figuratively sits on ass and does not actually DO HIS JOB as the leader of the program, because, well..he's an interim coach, and it might look like campaigning for the job. How dare he want to be here.

Scenario Two: Interim head coach takes opportunity to bust his ass and do what should have been happening for the last 50 years at UNT and tries to improve the program in any way he can while he has the job.

He ain't just auditioning for this job. I hope everyone keeps that in mind.

• Upvote 5

coach canales, dunbar, prior, white, ak47, some cheerleaders and scrappy are here at savannah elementary school participating in our awards ceremony. they are giving out stickers, chatting with parents/students, and helping us give awards. very cool and another great community showing by them. they are leaving here to go back to the athletic center then on to the airport. i thinks it's great that they are doing this for the community and on the morning before leaving for a game! the kids are loving it!

For the love of all that is good please stop this madness. UNT does not need to grow it's fan base or try and excite the locals. Oh please, when will it stop????

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

You guys are comical.

Scenario One: Interim head coach figuratively sits on ass and does not actually DO HIS JOB as the leader of the program, because, well..he's an interim coach, and it might look like campaigning for the job. How dare he want to be here.

Scenario Two: Interim head coach takes opportunity to bust his ass and do what should have been happening for the last 50 years at UNT and tries to improve the program in any way he can while he has the job.He ain't just auditioning for this job. I hope everyone keeps that in mind.

More like 32 years. This is something that Hayden might have done, but I don't ever remember him going to an Elementary school. He (along with group of spirited students) did go out to small towns around Denton and asked the locals to support the program. He made it clear that he wanted to be THEIR UNIVERSITY FOOTBALL PROGRAM.

I'd be willing to be that Coach Canales would do exactly the same thing. And if he does, I'll be glad to drive the bus.

Okay now, posts designed to be dismissive of Hayden Fry's legacy in 4, 3, 2, 1.....

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Lance Dunbar should be ashamed of himself! Shamelessly trying to secure the tailback spot. I bet these elementary school kids dont even know the other candidates! And, everyone knows, these small children (much like the SGA) get to cast a vote on who is in the starting lineup (or is head coach).

Only at North Texas.

• Upvote 2

Personally, I don't think he should be campaigning for the job like this.....by visiting Savannah Elementary. These kids have no clue what other candidates are being talked to. Does every one of them get to talk to Savannah Elementary?

Only at North Texas......

You beat me to it. That's what I get for sleeping in. Just because this shamless campaigning, if Canales gets the job, I may not renew my season tickets.

You beat me to it. That's what I get for sleeping in. Just because this shamless campaigning, if Canales gets the job, I may not renew my season tickets.

You're kidding right? Please, for the love of sanity, say you're kidding.

And you know mdh was being sarcastic, right?

Edited by emmitt01

cheerleaders/drumline/scrappy has come out to our school for numerous pep rally's in the past 4 years, but a coach and the players have NEVER come out before. the kids absolutely loved it!

Players and coaches used to go to local schools, charity events and church under Dickey.

Cut it any way you want...this is really great. Those elementary kids probably got a big kick out of the event, and the university may have won over a friend or two. This is EXACTLY the sort of thing that needs to be done to bring the community and the university closer together.

I applaud the program for taking the time to volunteer to do this sort of thing. Thanks, Coach Canales for attending yourself and taking some players with you.

I'll bet the UNT group had as much or more fun than the kids at Savannah.

Radio...thanks for letting us know!