Dodge is Gone - Canales named Interim

Harry

--- We and he had great hopes... it didn't pan out. His style didn't translate to college game.... It appeared that he ignored the defensive side and special teams thinking that his offense could overcome anything... I think his problem goes back to originally hiring too many assistent coaches with no college experience that did not understand how much different the game is and how much more talent exists at this level... I wish him well as he appears to be a very decent person.

--- This time we had a offense only philosophy, the last last time we had a coach with defense first and a rather boring offence... [which worked better?] I will say this year we weren't seeing the ridiculous high scores allowed.... finally.... but still wins were not coming. This year wasn't all his fault, lots of injuries, but with the history of his past years.... it was going to happen.

George commented: He made his own mistakes (high school staff), but program was way down from what people know when he took it over.

I love Georgio, but if people didn't know the program was "way down" back then, a big reason was that he always wants to be the Mean Green coach's pal.

I will not be "dancing in the streets", and I do consider myself a proud member of the Mean Green nation. I do not celebrate others misfortune. TD did what he thought was best to turn around the fortunes of the Mean green. It didn't work out. For that I am truly sorry, but I see no reason to "dance in the streets" over this situation. I'll be 100% behind Coach Canales and the next head coach of the Mean Green, but i will also thank Coach Dodge for his efforts and wish him well going forward. It is also time to wish Coach Canales well going forward.

GO MEAN GREEN!

People have been known to dance in the streets when a hopeless situation becomes hopeful. That is what has happened today. I wish Coach Dodge the best, but this is not a funeral moment, this is a rebirth moment, and should be treated as such.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

I will not be "dancing in the streets", and I do consider myself a proud member of the Mean Green nation. I do not celebrate others misfortune. TD did what he thought was best to turn around the fortunes of the Mean green. It didn't work out. For that I am truly sorry, but I see no reason to "dance in the streets" over this situation. I'll be 100% behind Coach Canales and the next head coach of the Mean Green, but i will also thank Coach Dodge for his efforts and wish him well going forward. It is also time to wish Coach Canales well going forward.

GO MEAN GREEN!

I truly don't see it that way, the Mean Green nation is a much bigger then Dodge and we needed something, this is a step in the right direction and I and most my friends are very happy about it. Coaches get fired it is not a funeral it is a step forward and a new opportunity to lead our team to a much better place. So get worked up if you like, I am excited about the future again. I already Danced in my office but it is not on Dodge's grave it is for the movement forward by our AD.

• Upvote 1

I truly don't see it that way, the Mean Green nation is a much bigger then Dodge and we needed something, this is a step in the right direction and I and most my friends are very happy about it. Coaches get fired it is not a funeral it is a step forward and a new opportunity to lead our team to a much better place. So get worked up if you like, I am excited about the future again. I already Danced in my office but it is not on Dodge's grave it is for the movement forward by our AD.

Agreed. This is bad news for Dodge, good news for North Texas.

And, personally- If bad professional news always came with over $1 million in gross compensation... I think I could bear the pain.

• Upvote 1

Good luck to Coach Dodge and his family. I agree with the comment that Coach Dodge has been one of the classiest coaches since Coach Fry in the recent UNT past. This just had to be a very hard decision for RV and for Coach Dodge, but I am guessing that it was handled very professionally and that you will not hear anything negative from Coach Dodge.

Thanks for all you did to try to turn the program around, and I am very sorry that it did not work out for you. I will always remember how open you were to talk with and how you really wanted UNT to succeed. I am sure we will see you as a D1 head coach again one of these days, and I wish you all the luck going forward.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Exactly what I wanted to say! It was time for this change but that doesn't give me any pleasure. Negative things just continued to snowball for this man...sometimes you just need a fresh start to get back on track. He obviously gave the best he could bring under the circumstances with which he had to cope. Thank you, Todd Dodge, and good luck to you!

• Upvote 1

Is there any chance the coaching change will cause UNT to dump the Southlake Carroll-looking uniforms and go back to something more traditional with the right shade of green?

In TOTAL Agreement! Get rid of those Puke-Green, Southlake Carroll, Todd Dodge Uniforms, ASAP!! We were Kelly Green before, so let's go back to it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sucks that Dodge ball didnt work, but high school football is not the same as college football. Good luck to you coach dodge, you will dominate the high school ranks again im sure. I respect you for how much class you showed during your tenure here. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Sucks that Dodge ball didnt work, but high school football is not the same as college football. Good luck to you coach dodge, you will dominate the high school ranks again im sure. I respect you for how much class you showed during your tenure here. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

I agree. Wish it had worked, but it didn't for a host of reasons. Most people I know liked him as a person and wish him well in his future endeavors. As for UNT. It is time to move on.

He's done with High School football. I echo the sentiments of most on this board...Best of luck to coach Dodge. Thanks for trying and I hope you can take what you've learned here at UNT and use it in your future endeavors. This was the best move for both parties I think.

Now Canales is the man, so most of you clammoring to see this will get your wish. I don't want to hear any of the injury excuses for coach Canales that were rebuffed for Dodge. Coach Canales, make lemonade. If not, you're out of here too.

• Upvote 4

Is there any chance the coaching change will cause UNT to dump the Southlake Carroll-looking uniforms and go back to something more traditional with the right shade of green?

I agree! One of the biggest problems with the dark shaded green was that it showed up black when being televised on TV. That was because of the poor lighting at Fouts. The lighter shade eliminated that problem. However, the lights at the new stadium will require that many of us wear sunglasses.

Now we can change back to the darker shade and it will look good.

We need to change our colors back to Hunter Green. It will be good for sales of UNT apparel as well.

Edited by meangreenbob

He's done with High School football. I echo the sentiments of most on this board...Best of luck to coach Dodge. Thanks for trying and I hope you can take what you've learned here at UNT and use it in your future endeavors. This was the best move for both parties I think.

Now Canales is the man, so most of you clammoring to see this will get your wish. I don't want to hear any of the injury excuses for coach Canales that were rebuffed for Dodge. Coach Canales, make lemonade. If not, you're out of here too.

Give me a break...canales has been OC for 6 games...not 3 1/2 years...having won a total of 6 games....I think this guy has talent...don't expect him to win with what is left, but it will be interesting to see what he can do as a temp replacement for TD. I think he did a hell of a game against Clemson and not so sure waht was going on with Army game...anyway...guess well see !

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1