We Are Witnessing The End...

JayDub

Ladies and Gentlemen, could Monday be the end? Will it be a resignation?...or an old-fashioned firing?

I doubt a resignation will come. I wouldn't resign if I was him. It will cost him almost $200k to resign because of how his contract is written. RV has to make the move.

I doubt a resignation will come. I wouldn't resign if I was him. It will cost him almost $200k to resign because of how his contract is written. RV has to make the move.

I will get flamed but I do not think RV has it in him to fire TD before December 1st, since it would be an admission that he made the wrong hire.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I like RV and appreciate some of the things he's done but if this is the case, RV needs to head out the door with Dodge.

Guys, Rick won't make the same mistake twice. I've got more faith in him than I used to. It took alot of guts for him to call a guy like me cold and call me to the carpet for some of my criticisms of Dodge after the 2008 season.

But, you know what? Rick heard me out. Whether he believed the criticisms I brought up on that day, I don't know. I know he believes me now. The results are too overwhelming not to.

I didn't support what he did when he hired Dodge back in 2006, but I respect that he took the gamble and the criticism for it. He kept moving forward with the stadium plan - which, considering the meat of it has taken place in what is now three years worth of awful economic times - and has been more successful than I imagined. I didn't believe it would happen until it started physically happening.

Give Rick a break. With the money at the time, he did what he felt he could. He wants to win as badly as we do. He gambled and lost this time. But, deal him in again. With the stadium as a chip, he'll come up a winner this time.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Ladies and Gentlemen, could Monday be the end? Will it be a resignation?...or an old-fashioned firing?

RV owes the students, who pay for most of this, BETTER than what we have here....ALWAYS in the bottom 10 in 1A...this is nothing less than total mismanagement on RV's part...many of these students come and go from UNT and having never seen a winning game...just pathetic and his inaction is worse. How could anyone who is competent in his job allow this disaster to go on this long...how!

Edited by houstonmeangreen
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

I think the move, whatever it is, has to be done by Monday. The stands were pathetic in the 2nd half tonight. Once the stands get that bare and apathetic, the change has to come immediately. I bet on reassigning him within the Athletic Department, at least until the end of the year. I heard some rumblings that SLC wants him back. It that is the case, I think he goes back. Hand the reigns over to Canales or DeLoach for the rest of the year. They have a bye this coming Saturday, so they can use this off week to adjust to the change. I hate to say this because of the overall improvements in the program itself, but he has to move on.

Listening to the postgame interview tonight, you could pretty much hear the realization in Dodge's voice that he knows it's over.

I think the move, whatever it is, has to be done by Monday. The stands were pathetic in the 2nd half tonight. Once the stands get that bare and apathetic, the change has to come immediately. I bet on reassigning him within the Athletic Department, at least until the end of the year. I heard some rumblings that SLC wants him back. It that is the case, I think he goes back. Hand the reigns over to Canales or DeLoach for the rest of the year. They have a bye this coming Saturday, so they can use this off week to adjust to the change. I hate to say this because of the overall improvements in the program itself, but he has to move on.

Listening to the postgame interview tonight, you could pretty much hear the realization in Dodge's voice that he knows it's over.

And, you could pretty much see in RV's facial expression and body language that he know's it's over; I just didn't see any stress there.

i was all for giving dodge another year (this year),especially with the changes we saw on his staff. But Emmitt was right. I respect RV for taking the risk in the first place. So much good has happened in the past 4 years despite this horrific football experiment. I wish Todd and his family nothing but the best in the future. It is time to read the next chapter. I trust RV and we are going to make a splash. The SBC is ready for the Mean Green to come back.

GMG

The most pathetic looking stands that I have seen here since the Abilene Christian game many years ago and we actually won that game in overwhelming fashion. Time for a change. I wish he would just quit, but we all know that money is top priority in this day and age, Really a sad and depressing situation that we have gotten ourselves into with this failed experiment.:(

• Upvote 3

Give Rick a break. With the money at the time, he did what he felt he could. He wants to win as badly as we do. He gambled and lost this time. But, deal him in again. With the stadium as a chip, he'll come up a winner this time.

How many years does he need? He has had plenty of years to produce. We have lost scholarships, had a slew of atheletes in jail, been the bottom of football, passed by in conference reallignments and a we suffer from his huge hand picked gamble. He gets too much credit for the stadium and AC. You should thank the student body and the UNT administration, not RV. He is a completely mediocre AD. Schools like FIU and WKU with WAY less means and advantages, somehow have ADs that produce more than ours.

If Dodge gets punished for having to learn on the job, then RV should feel the same pain. He appears to still be learning on the job too.

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

How many years does he need? He has had plenty of years to produce. We have lost scholarships, had a slew of atheletes in jail, been the bottom of football, passed by in conference reallignments and a we suffer from his huge hand picked gamble. He gets too much credit for the stadium and AC. You should thank the student body and the UNT administration, not RV. He is a completely mediocre AD. Schools like FIU and WKU with WAY less means and advantages, somehow have ADs that produce more than ours.

If Dodge gets punished for having to learn on the job, then RV should feel the same pain. He appears to still be learning on the job too.

So have FIU & WKU built new AC's? New tennis complex's? New soccer fields? Womens sports facilities? Started softball etc? New football stadium? The dude has advanced us night and day overall from where we were when I was a student. And considering what the overall state of NT athletics were when I was at NT in the mid to late 90's I'd have to say he has accomplished more than any AD in our history.

You can't hit a home run at every at bat but I feel like RV has always swung for the fences. (Hell, just hitting .300 will get you in the HOF and RV's average is well above that even with the Dodge experiment.)

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

So have FIU & WKU built new AC's? New tennis complex's? New soccer fields? Womens sports facilities? Started softball etc? New football stadium? The dude has advanced us night and day overall from where we were when I was a student. And considering what the overall state of NT athletics were when I was at NT in the mid to late 90's I'd have to say he has accomplished more than any AD in our history.

You can't hit a home run at every at bat but I feel like RV has always swung for the fences. (Hell, just hitting .300 will get you in the HOF and RV's average is well above that even with the Dodge experiment.)

DITTO....For some folks, the next beat is RV

Women's sports facilities? It is probably a result of Title IX compliance. Softball being played in the Denton public park? Where is the baseball he started promising us 8 years ago? AC? Go look up where the remaining funding came after DD's BFF Matress Mac gave his 1M. It is well documented that the football stadium is on the back of the students to get it going. Even that took two elections to pass. The AD couldn't get the propaganda correct on the campus.

That isn't saying those things aren't good or impressive. I don't think the AD should get the credit though. Since you were a student in the late nineties, the school has added a few new colleges (Honors, Engineering, etc), grown from 26k to 36k, expanded the housing and campus. It is almost unrecognizable. The whole CITY is expanding, yet the AD can't capture all those new students, their parents, Denton residents and all the new alums? Has the MGC blown up with the increased of alums and students? Where is this fund raising that was advertised as his strength? I guess we do have some restaurants the sponser the games and now we have American Airlines as a sponsor. 10 years in the making and we finally have a big game day sponser. Whew.

It is a back handed compliment to say he is our best AD ever. Shaq is a pretty fast dude, for guys that are 350lbs. That doesn't make him fast. RV has done some things here and taken credit for even more, but that doesn't really make him a good AD.

But to answer your question, yes, FIU, WKU, Troy, FAU and MTSU all have built new ACs and fields in the last decade. They are playing with a way smaller deck of cards than us.

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Women's sports facilities? It is probably a result of Title IX compliance. Softball being played in the Denton public park? Where is the baseball he started promising us 8 years ago? AC? Go look up where the remaining funding came after DD's BFF Matress Mac gave his 1M. It is well documented that the football stadium is on the back of the students to get it going. Even that took two elections to pass. The AD couldn't get the propaganda correct on the campus.

That isn't saying those things aren't good or impressive. I don't think the AD should get the credit though. Since you were a student in the late nineties, the school has added a few new colleges (Honors, Engineering, etc), grown from 26k to 36k, expanded the housing and campus. It is almost unrecognizable. The whole CITY is expanding, yet the AD can't capture all those new students, their parents, Denton residents and all the new alums? Has the MGC blown up with the increased of alums and students? Where is this fund raising that was advertised as his strength? I guess we do have some restaurants the sponser the games and now we have American Airlines as a sponsor. 10 years in the making and we finally have a big game day sponser. Whew.

It is a back handed compliment to say he is our best AD ever. Shaq is a pretty fast dude, for guys that are 350lbs. That doesn't make him fast. RV has done some things here and taken credit for even more, but that doesn't really make him a good AD.

But to answer your question, yes, FIU, WKU, Troy, FAU and MTSU all have built new ACs and fields in the last decade. They are playing with a way smaller deck of cards than us.

So...in fairness I give plenty to the school but I am not sure that they have everyone's phone number cause I am called at least once a week by a line that I saved as "UNT Phoneathon" and trust me...outside of my closest friends and fam it is the number that dials me the most.. 2nd Bold.....lets leave weight out of it...thats just tasteless ;)

Edited by ColoradoEagle

If the guys in charge at the athletic complex want to get some of the heat off themselves and win back the fan base, they need to reassign Dodge on Monday. It's a by week. That would give Canales two week to play mad scientist. We will probably be no better, but we need to make the change, so we can start the search for a new coach.

• Upvote 1