Gotta Give Smu Credit

Harry

Those future games we have scheduled with SMU don't look quite as appealing as they used to. SMU is starting to look like a serious football program again.

This weekend they beat Tulsa at home in front of a good crowd, and its still early but they've positioned themselves to compete for the CUSA crown and bowl. You have to hand it to June Jones, he's done a terrific job rebuilding that program.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/topstories/stories/101010dnsposmulede.2814865.html

Those future games we have scheduled with SMU don't look quite as appealing as they used to. SMU is starting to look like a serious football program again.

This weekend they beat Tulsa at home in front of a good crowd, and its still early but they've positioned themselves to compete for the CUSA crown and bowl. You have to hand it to June Jones, he's done a terrific job rebuilding that program.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/topstories/stories/101010dnsposmulede.2814865.html

19,000+ is not a good crowd for a team coming off a bowl win and a legit shot at winning their conference this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

i dunno... 6,000 undergrads, 4 other dfw games plus a ranger game.... not so bad.

19,000+ is not a good crowd for a team coming off a bowl win and a legit shot at winning their conference this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

He'll be gone from The Hillside soon enough. Then, we'll see if their donors "pony up" twice for another coach of Jones' caliber.

Many high profile jobs will likely come open after the season - Georgia, Arizona State, UCLA, Minnesota, Miami, Colorado, Mississippi, etc. Jones' phone will be ringing off the hook by mid-November.

Having played and coached for the Atlanta Falcons, you gotta like Georgia's shot to get him. He'd fit in anywhere out west where's he's from as well.

Similarly, Mike Leach's quirky personality would be a good sell at Arizona State, Miami, and Colorado. As well as he did with Texas Tech out in the middle of nowhere, he'll be really dangerous recruiting to places that actually have interesting surroundings. The Pirate bit would go over well in Miami especially.

• Downvote 1

He'll be gone from The Hillside soon enough. Then, we'll see if their donors "pony up" twice for another coach of Jones' caliber.

I imagine they will. If the ponies would have stayed in the tank after shelling out all that cash, it would be a different story. But they definitely have seen a return on their investment.

i dunno... 6,000 undergrads, 4 other dfw games plus a ranger game.... not so bad.

You hit the nail in the head. Putting SMU down from a local rival standpoint is great and all but when you diss them without properly thinking then that is just simply moronic and you're no different than that douch hoopmanx. 19K for a school of that size even with no other DFW games is still great at this point in the program. This is just the second season in which SMU is seeing some quality football again. Give it time and they will reach the top 25. As for JJ leaving...that could be but if that happens then SMU will still have a great budget to bring in another great coach so anybody that thinks SMU isn't here to stay is dead wrong.

• Upvote 1

You hit the nail in the head. Putting SMU down from a local rival standpoint is great and all but when you diss them without properly thinking then that is just simply moronic and you're no different than that douch hoopmanx. 19K for a school of that size even with no other DFW games is still great at this point in the program. This is just the second season in which SMU is seeing some quality football again. Give it time and they will reach the top 25. As for JJ leaving...that could be but if that happens then SMU will still have a great budget to bring in another great coach so anybody that thinks SMU isn't here to stay is dead wrong.

Who,s to say the SMU alum won,t pony up and pay to keep him. He may like Big D.

• Upvote 1

Who,s to say the SMU alum won,t pony up and pay to keep him. He may like Big D.

Oh I agree...I don't know if he will want to leave at this point. My only guess is that he will be able to command a similar if not little better salary and may want to take a job from a BCS school. But if you ask me it would be risky leaving. You coach SMU, live in Dallas, getting paid like the big boys without being in a top level conference which allows you to win your conference and be BCS busters easily. I mean hell if I am JJ there has to be an offer which I cannot absolutely refuse for me to live his very cushy gig here.

UNT and SMU need to play a regional opponent with traveling fans to get anywhere close to 30,000 for a home game but...

...I believe when we move into our new stadium our fan base will increase dramatically and moreso with a year in and year out winning football program (led by a name coach) plus IMHO......... our fan base will be significantly larger than SMU's as it should be with our much larger constituency that have UNT ties.

The buzz created by hiring said name coach is tantamount to having 11 impact football players on your offense. Remember what Jerry Jones said hiring Jimmy Johnson was comparable to--how many #1 draft choices?

Probably not the best illustration, but if a movie star moved into your neighborhood, how long would it take for all your neighbors to know about it, talk about it, want to see it all firsthand, etc, etc, etc,? The right name coach coupled with the debut of our new stadium could be quite a sports story here in the Lone Star State and beyond.

An unemployed name coach wanting back in the profession may not demand as much salary-wise initially as we'd think. (I think Fry would have coached for free at North Texas when we hired him). Yet if we got a name HFC at UNT I would hope his contract would have a $2 million buyout; that is, if he left UNT before Year 5 his new bosses would need to go to the bank. I thought $1,000,000 at one time but the schools who most likely would come a-callin' the $2 million would be nickels and dimes. (Should I draw up a projected new name UNT HFC's contract now)? LOL!

GMG!

Seeing what happens inside of that program up close I can say that June leaving in the next few years is not the given that some here think. Our new stadium will help, especially when it comes to the upcoming series with the Ponies. However, one thing I would like to see is more TV coverage. I want to say just one or maybe two of SMU's games are not on TV this season. They also have a pretty good week to week behind the scenes show on FSSW and CBSCS called 'The Climb'. Also ESPN is doing a 30 for 30 on the '09 season.

UNT is on the tube 4 or 5 times?? Not good enough at all. Sure the Belt doesn't have it together at all when it comes to a TV deal, but the school needs to approach 21 or 33 or something. I know this is an old argument on this board, but considering NT is an elite Radio, TV, and Film school it maddens me to know that our fans who can't make it to Denton or a road game have to rely on Jub and Hank or MG Premium.....which let's be honest.....ain't all that premium.

As much as some SMU folks irk me, they do seem to have their crap and $ together now.

Seeing what happens inside of that program up close I can say that June leaving in the next few years is not the given that some here think. Our new stadium will help, especially when it comes to the upcoming series with the Ponies. However, one thing I would like to see is more TV coverage. I want to say just one or maybe two of SMU's games are not on TV this season. They also have a pretty good week to week behind the scenes show on FSSW and CBSCS called 'The Climb'. Also ESPN is doing a 30 for 30 on the '09 season.

UNT is on the tube 4 or 5 times?? Not good enough at all. Sure the Belt doesn't have it together at all when it comes to a TV deal, but the school needs to approach 21 or 33 or something. I know this is an old argument on this board, but considering NT is an elite Radio, TV, and Film school it maddens me to know that our fans who can't make it to Denton or a road game have to rely on Jub and Hank or MG Premium.....which let's be honest.....ain't all that premium.

As much as some SMU folks irk me, they do seem to have their crap and $ together now.

First of all, I think the MGRN of Jub & Hank is premium and I don't know about the other thing you mention--haven't visited it in a while. I've listened to many college football broadcasting teams across the Southwest beginning with Kern Tips and Dave "All Time Homer" South in the old SWC Exxon Network back in the 60's and believe me..........we have a very good broadcasting team with George Dunham and Hank Dickenson; quite frankly, not sure why they haven't won some statewide awards I understand are out there for collegiate football broadcasts.

One year we had all our games televised but the team sucked that year so........do you highlight a football program that is not on top its game by televising it? I have no idea about that.

Name Coach? I think at this stage of our football history we may be forced to go with a name coach and that is where we're at now on the eve of a new stadium opening and our location where UNT may have to do a bit more to get the much needed local or statewide media attention. Now there will be different degrees of what we will all call a name coach, but we need one that will all but give North Texas the "you mean UNT was able to hire HIM" response.

Name Coach? Don't know if that coach is out there right this minute but things change fast in the NCAA but please........I don't think we recycle (again) from our losing past and that should be a given. As we know, this hire will be a totally different kind of hire than we've ever had in our history in light of whats being built between the 2 Texas interstates.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

SMU would beat us by 30 if we played today.

I don't think so, Tim. They only rattled off 21 points against a Tulsa defense which was ranked #118 going into the game. Our defense - even with injuries - is better than what Tulsa is throwing out on the field in 2010.

Let's not get overexcited about SMU. They're not exactly blowing out anyone. Jones will win enough to earn a ticket off the Hilltop, but these guys are hardly world beaters yet.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

First of all, I think the MGRN of Jub & Hank is premium and I don't know about the other thing you mention--haven't visited it in a while. I've listened to many college football broadcasting teams across the Southwest beginning with Kern Tips and Dave "All Time Homer" South in the old SWC Exxon Network back in the 60's and believe me..........we have a very good broadcasting team with George Dunham and Hank Dickenson; quite frankly, not sure why they haven't won some statewide awards I understand are out there for collegiate football broadcasts.

One year we had all our games televised but the team sucked that year so........do you highlight a football program that is not on top its game by televising it? I have no idea about that.

Name Coach? I think at this stage of our football history we may be forced to go with a name coach and that is where we're at now on the eve of a new stadium opening and our location where UNT may have to do a bit more to get the much needed local or statewide media attention. Now there will be different degrees of what we will all call a name coach, but we need one that will all but give North Texas the "you mean UNT was able to hire HIM" response.

Name Coach? Don't know if that coach is out there right this minute but things change fast in the NCAA but please........I don't think we recycle (again) from our losing past and that should be a given. As we know, this hire will be a totally different kind of hire than we've ever had in our history in light of whats being built between the 2 Texas interstates.

GMG!

Not bashing Jub and Hank at all. They are greatness and dear friends of mine. I was referring to the online video stream. Sorry to confuse you.