The Late Non-Fumble Review

UNTflyer

Was that a coach's challenge or a booth review? I'll tell you for those who didn't see Rick V was absolutely livid before the review. He stormed down from the press box and onto the field, and it appeared he was looking to rip somebody's head off.

For a second I felt like the mood in the stadium was bad enough that the stands might flood the field and hang an officiating crew. I have never seen a crowd get that mad and ugly that fast.

Not sure if it was a challenge or not, but I loved the "NCAA rules prohibit showing a replay of a call being reviewed" slide we showed on the "big" screen.

Before the review, the play was shown twice and all 309 of us still left in the stadium saw the error.

Seems rare that the stadium attendees get to see the blatant bad call before a play is challenged.

GMG

For a second I felt like the mood in the stadium was bad enough that the stands might flood the field and hang an officiating crew. I have never seen a crowd get that mad and ugly that fast.

It was terrible call.

Riley was down, players were starting to unpile, in the process of getting up he lets go of the ball, someone picks it up starts running with it.

Someone failed to blow the play dead when they should have, once the shenanigans started happening, I guess they figured replay would get it, so no use blowing a possible play dead, but it was a huge mistake not to blow it dead properly.

It was dangerous, the players around it saw he was down, and had begun helping each other up, then all of a sudden people start hitting each other, someone could easily have gotten hurt.

PS: That first punt to ULL, it looked clearly like the ball hit a ULL player. Did they discuss that on TV?

The reason I ask is because I was wondering if RV was running to the field to scream at Dodge for not challenging the play. He was clearly looking for somebody on our sideline, but by the time he got there the review was underway.

And it was a terrible call, one of the worst I've ever seen.

Edited by UNTflyer

It was terrible call.

Riley was down, players were starting to unpile, in the process of getting up he lets go of the ball, someone picks it up starts running with it.

Someone failed to blow the play dead when they should have, once the shenanigans started happening, I guess they figured replay would get it, so no use blowing a possible play dead, but it was a huge mistake not to blow it dead properly.

It was dangerous, the players around it saw he was down, and had begun helping each other up, then all of a sudden people start hitting each other, someone could easily have gotten hurt.

PS: That first punt to ULL, it looked clearly like the ball hit a ULL player. Did they discuss that on TV?

that ball hit one of our players... they threw the bean bag and marked the ball where it hit our player, instead of where it was downed.

The reason I ask is because I was wondering if RV was running to the field to scream at Dodge for not challenging the play. He was clearly looking for somebody on our sideline, but by the time he got there the review was underway.

And it was a terrible call, one of the worst I've ever seen.

I'd actually say that call was the worst part about the whole night because if it had stood, then I don't know what would've happened. It wasn't just a bad call, it was bad judgment and a lack of professional effort on the part of the refs for it to even NEED to be reviewed.

It was an extremely angry crowd because of an extremely bad call. The TV review that was played - before the challenge stopped it - was so clear I can't see how the refs could have seen it as a fumble.

I was amongst the loudest of the crowd, and that was the main reason everyone was mad. That the ball was clearly down and should have been spotted on the 11 was so obvious, the crowd was shocked and very angry that the ref's were even considering anything else.

But the LaLa team had been doing stuff like that(grabbing a ball and pretending there was a fumble) all night long and they obviously had been so well coached to do that that it almost payed off for them. According to TD (in his interview with GD), they also had been "barking signals" at the line when we had the ball, and that was what caused the center to have some false starts. It all seems like cheap tactics, but it almost got them a cheap turnover, and they DID make us commit three penalties with their antics.

Obviously their coaching staff coached them well to do what they had to do to get an edge.

Was that a coach's challenge or a booth review? I'll tell you for those who didn't see Rick V was absolutely livid before the review. He stormed down from the press box and onto the field, and it appeared he was looking to rip somebody's head off.

The pace RV went down those stairs was funny. He wanted a piece of a ref I think. Those refs were beyond horrible all night. Another reason I want us out of this bush league.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I was amongst the loudest of the crowd, and that was the main reason everyone was mad. That the ball was clearly down and should have been spotted on the 11 was so obvious, the crowd was shocked and very angry that the ref's were even considering anything else.

But the LaLa team had been doing stuff like that(grabbing a ball and pretending there was a fumble) all night long and they obviously had been so well coached to do that that it almost payed off for them. According to TD (in his interview with GD), they also had been "barking signals" at the line when we had the ball, and that was what caused the center to have some false starts. It all seems like cheap tactics, but it almost got them a cheap turnover, and they DID make us commit three penalties with their antics.

Obviously their coaching staff coached them well to do what they had to do to get an edge.

I'm pretty sure that barking out or signals is supposed to be a penalty on them...so pretty bush league for them to be doing that stuff.

It's pretty embarrassing when your Athletic Director rushes to the field because of a blown call. It was a bad decision of the refs not to blow it down, but come on? Seriously RV? Was Deloss Dodds running out of the Cotton Bowl press boxes when some of those officials made bad calls in the UT/OU game?

• Upvote 2

I'm guessing RV simply reached his boiling point considering the amount of S!@# he has witnessed thus far.

I'm guessing RV was upset because he was sitting for 3 plus quarters in the S hole that is the Fouts Field Press Box and he had had all he could take..

Next year can't come fast enough, for soooo many reasons.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Props to the video booth crew for getting several different angles that clearly showed Riley was down on the ground. They replayed that play twice.

Still, why didn't someone from our bench call a time out so Dodge could go chew on the refs to force them to review that play?

I still can't believe they missed the ULL player that had a knee down on the ground when catching that punt. Un-Be-Liev-Able.

• Upvote 1

Simply pitiful job by the referee crew last evening. It has been quite awhile since I have witnessed such an incompetent crew. Where did they get those guys? How do you miss that non-fumble...that knee on the ground on the punt, the fact that ULL was calling signals while on defense to draw UNT offsides, how did they miss an excessive celebration call on ULL after one TD that made the call against UNT at Clemson earlier this year look even more stupid??????

For me, I was glad to see the fire in RV's eyes and the fact that he cared enough to head to the field.

While UNT lost the game on their own, due to penalties, a poor offensive and defensive scheme, etc., etc., the ref crew was just TERRIBLE! They should go back to pee wee football to get some experience before screwing up another college game.

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing RV was upset because he was sitting for 3 plus quarters in the S hole that is the Fouts Field Press Box and he had had all he could take..

Next year can't come fast enough, for soooo many reasons.

Ummm....RV is the person that brought Dodge back. Many of us were tired of seeing this three years ago. If he is tired of it he has no one to blame but himself.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5