What Does Thompson Bring?

H-towngreen

Now that we know Derek Thompson will be leading the team for this season and hopefully several more. Let's look at what he brings to the table.

I think that the biggest thing that will help is that while Thompson is a big guy in the pocket he is still very mobile. So Canales might be able to call more zone read plays, thus opening up more lanes for Dunbar. It's pretty apparant that this kid has a cannon for an arm. He will be able to go out there and make all the throws required. As far as his accuracy, judging by what we've seen of him in game action you can't question that. I'm still pissed Darius dropped Thompsons bomb that would have been a sure fire TD. My last point is that I really believe that the team will rally around and support DT as he is the leader of this team from here on out.

• Upvote 2

Thompson brings a ton to the QB position and I think we'll reap those benefits these last 10 games. I'm guessing Tune didn't lose the QB position out of camp and you have to honor the Senior if he does that. But Thompson is clearly gifted athletically and hopefully he can couple that with sound decision making and we may have our best QB in years in Denton.

• Upvote 1

Now that we know Derek Thompson will be leading the team for this season and hopefully several more. Let's look at what he brings to the table.

I think that the biggest thing that will help is that while Thompson is a big guy in the pocket he is still very mobile. So Canales might be able to call more zone read plays, thus opening up more lanes for Dunbar. It's pretty apparant that this kid has a cannon for an arm. He will be able to go out there and make all the throws required. As far as his accuracy, judging by what we've seen of him in game action you can't question that. I'm still pissed Darius dropped Thompsons bomb that would have been a sure fire TD. My last point is that I really believe that the team will rally around and support DT as he is the leader of this team from here on out.

So he's a flawless leader of men? Got it. Dodge, youre saved!

• Downvote 4

We'll see what he brings Saturday. But one thing we know he brings is a "want-to" attitude. A "want-to" help the Mean green win just like Nathan, Micah, Ford, JJ, etc., etc. all brought to the team before their injuries. Thompson is a big kid (but so is Nathan) that can move pretty well and can throw on the run (all qualities I believe Nathan had as well). He is young and fairly inexperienced, but can make up for that with good decisions...plus some decent blocking by the patched up O-Line could really help as well.

Hopefully, we will witness the "coming of age" of Thompson as this season's newest leader at QB.

GO MEAN GREEN! The Mean Green Nation is in full support!

We'll see what he brings Saturday. But one thing we know he brings is a "want-to" attitude. A "want-to" help the Mean green win just like Nathan, Micah, Ford, JJ, etc., etc. all brought to the team before their injuries. Thompson is a big kid (but so is Nathan) that can move pretty well and can throw on the run (all qualities I believe Nathan had as well). He is young and fairly inexperienced, but can make up for that with good decisions...plus some decent blocking by the patched up O-Line could really help as well.

Hopefully, we will witness the "coming of age" of Thompson as this season's newest leader at QB.

GO MEAN GREEN! The Mean Green Nation is in full support!

Using "want-to" in place of "can do" feels a little bit patronizing, no?

Only pointing it out because I know you would never, ever mean it that way.

Edited by Quoner

I think he brings a lunchpail. I think he studies a lot of film, comes early, stays late, and never takes a play off. He's a real blue-collar guy with a great work ethic.

As Mike Tirico said about the white kick returner for the Jets on MNF, "He looks like he wouldn't have any athleticism, but he works so hard."

Rice was among that 8. I look at that game and think though, "we played as bad as we could and lost by 1" If the coaches can clean up the special teams and stop trying to get cute then all is not lost.

Saw some of Black Dynamite last night last night on cable... cracked me up. Black Dynamite still ain't bad enough to take on the Shogun of Harlem tho...

shonuff.jpg

Edited by All About UNT

If the coaches can clean up the special teams

:lol: You know that's been a work-in-progress for 4 years now. Kicks and coverage are more unpredictable than ever.

As for Thompson he reminds me of a QB with linebacker frame, tall but stocky. Not as agile as Tune but harder to arm tackle and can bull forward for 3 yards if he needs to. I think he'll do fine after getting used to "real" action again. He's basically had less than 10 plays in an actual game since high school. His arm is a cannon.