Defense ?

greenblooded43

Same bad tackling and schemes again for 2010.Gave up another 423yds and 35 points,back to the averages again for the last 3 years!!! Glad QB Parker had a bad day or they would of scored 50 plus.Inside LB's are undersized !!!!!!

Our offense have set UNT records all over the place the last 3 years

If we hold Rice to under 400yds and 35points that will be a first in 3years.

Edited by greenblooded43
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 15

Same bad tackling and schemes again for 2010.Gave up another 423yds and 35 points,back to the averages again for the last 3 years!!! Glad QB Parker had a bad day or they would of scored 50 plus.Inside LB's are undersized !!!!!!

Nice

Did you really feel this was post worthy?

Clemson's players are bigger, faster, and stronger. Our defense made several stops, and I think they are continuing to improve. Yes we missed too many tackles, but Clemson didn't beat us because they were able to control the ball. Most of their points came from big plays, and quick strikes.

North Texas controled the time of possession because Canales called a good game, our players fought from start to finish, and the defense made stops.

• Upvote 1

Gave up another 423yds and 35 points,back to the averages again for the last 3 years!!!

Yes, and in previous years that has been given up against Sun Belt teams. This time we gave it up against an elite ACC team. Compare what our defense has given up in previous years against teams from BCS AQ conferences:

2008, against K-State (a team that was nowhere near as good as this Clemson team is expected to be):

45 points, 471 yards

2007, against OU:

79 points, 668 yards

You really cannot see any improvement there? Not that more can't be made, but at least acknowledge that we are definitely moving in the right direction.

Glad QB Parker had a bad day or they would of scored 50 plus.

I believe the pressure the D was able to get on him and the overall good coverage (with a couple obviously glaring exceptions) had something to do with the "bad day" he had.

Rice does not look to have a bad team, but they are nowhere near as good as Clemson. If the D gives up that much, they will not have played anywhere near as well as they did in this game.

And honestly, what statistic is this supposed to refer to? Yes, our D has given up a lot of yards and points in recent years, but we have held several teams under 400 yards and 35 points.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Canales is the next head guy at NT! sooner or later

I guess it could happen but if we change head coaches I see a clean sweep, we have money now.

The guy coaches in one game and already he is the next head coach wow.

If we get a new Head Coach I want RV to go to the Market and find us a proven head coach to get this show rolling.

And we should not have to worry about any of this for a while hopefully, Dodge is our man now!

Destroy Rice, payback is hell.

• Upvote 1

I think had we not had Canales, the time of possession would have been flipped the other way, and Clemson would have at least scored 50, maybe more. I do see some improvement on defense, but watching linebackers not wrap up people when they tackle them is getting really old. I don't think Craig Robertson had a very good game outside of the big interception. There were also a few plays where our D-line was blown back 5 yards.

I'm excited about this season, as I saw signficant improvement yesterday on both sides of the ball. I really want revenge against Rice after they embarassed and whipped us a couple of years ago.

Also, I think there is a good chance we may not have Dunbar next year. Yes, I think he is that good.

Canales is the next head guy at NT! sooner or later

Please don't circle the wagon just yet. Offense has not really been our problems most of the last "3" years, now has it? Any kind of formidable defense the last 3 years and we wouldn't be talking about an Offensive Coord. being a future possible coach at UNT. Quite frankly, defense concerns most of us for this year.

YET.........if Canales is part of a losing staff this year, you really think UNT moves up an assistant coach from that kind of scenario? I don't see the Holy Tribunal of our Prez', AD and hired hand consultant (Neinas'coaching suggestions) allowing that to happen.

Our new stadium probably means a bigger name coach (how about UNT reviving "insert sublimenal a recent former TTech coach's" career--just like we did a fired from SMU Hayden Fry's); yet, I can see a possible new HFC in Denton retaining Canales if his presence continues to impress this Fall. But you don't hire a new HFC from a losing coaching staff unless just possibly you're.........well, nevermind, I'll just bite my tongue.

GMG!

PS: If Dodge wins 6 I really think he will be back although 7 has been said to be the magic number. I think more on this board want Todd Dodge back than those who do not. He did bring discipline, sobriety and other things back to this program that I think coupled with 6 wins this Fall would get him a new contract.

PS2: Look for a future game versus Clemson at UNT's New Stadium @ The Mean Green Village in the future. We have an AD who can make such things as that happen.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Please don't circle the wagon just yet. Offense has not really been our problems most of the last "3" years, now has it? Any kind of formidable defense the last 3 years and we wouldn't be talking about an Offensive Coord. being a future possible coach at UNT. Quite frankly, defense concerns most of us for this year.

YET.........if Canales is part of a losing staff this year, you really think UNT moves up an assistant coach from that kind of scenario? I don't see the Holy Tribunal of our Prez', AD and hired hand consultant (Neinas'coaching suggestions) allowing that to happen.

Our new stadium probably means a bigger name coach (how about UNT reviving "insert sublimenal recent former TTech coach's" career--just like we did a fired from SMU Hayden Fry's); yet, I can see a new HFC in Denton retaining Canales if his presence continues to impress this Fall. But you don't hire a new HFC from a losing coaching staff unless just possibly you're.........well, nevermind, I'll just bite my tongue.

GMG!

PS: If Dodge wins 6 I think he will be back although 7 has been said to be the magic number. I think more on this board want Todd Dodge back than those who do not. He did bring discipline, sobriety and other things back to this program that I think coupled with 6 wins this Tall would get him a new contract.

PS2: Look for a future game versus Clemson at UNT's New Stadium @ The Mean Green Village in the future. We have an AD who can make such things as that happen.

Jim, I only want Dodge back if he wins 7, otherwise it is time to get a new coach and I don't see any in between. Four years to have a winning season is enough. This is not the same old UNT we have an Athletic fee now. If TD fails lets get a real coach we have the money for it now, I do hope TD gets those seven wins I like him.

Tony

Jim, I only want Dodge back if he wins 7, otherwise it is time to get a new coach and I don't see any in between. Four years to have a winning season is enough. This is not the same old UNT we have an Athletic fee now. If TD fails lets get a real coach we have the money for it now, I do hope TD gets those seven wins I like him.

Tony

Oh, it will probably have to be the magic 7 and I understand the reasons why (I think), but maybe this is all a moot point as it is because with defense improvement 7 now becomes very do-able?

I am worried about our defense as others on GMG.com seem to also be, but I guess that is why they should have been recruiting for the DL all these years rather than all those defensive backs and receivers we seemed to get more than our quota, right? ;)

Tony, where will yalls tailgate be setting up this Saturday for the Rice game?

Oh, it will probably have to be the magic 7 and I understand the reasons why (I think), but maybe this is all a moot point as it is because with defense improvement 7 now becomes very do-able?

I am worried about our defense as others on GMG.com seem to also be, but I guess that is why they should have been recruiting for the DL all these years rather than all those defensive backs and receivers we seemed to get more than our quota, right? ;)

Tony, where will yalls tailgate be setting up this Saturday for the Rice game?

We will be on the north side of the blue lot, you can't miss us. We will be marked with the

Tailgatting.png

I will have it updated this week. I look foward to seeing you guys.

I know Clemson wasn't on top of their game so to speak offensively but man I thought our defense played very well. I honestly think if we didn't make critical mistakes we could have given up less than 35 easily. And plus if we found a way to get some more points it would have been very very close at the end. I know its all coulda shoulda woulda but for the most part I don' t think the score indicated how close the game really was or could have been.

I don't get the "defense is terrible, thank God we have Canales!" mentality based on this game. In the one stat that matters and given this team's recent history, I think holding Clemson to 35 at home is a heck of a lot more impressive than scoring 10.

I'm not saying the defense is back or that the offense is worse, but let's just all slow down a bit here, eh?

• Upvote 3

I don't get the "defense is terrible, thank God we have Canales!" mentality based on this game. In the one stat that matters and given this team's recent history, I think holding Clemson to 35 at home is a heck of a lot more impressive than scoring 10.

I'm not saying the defense is back or that the offense is worse, but let's just all slow down a bit here, eh?

Completely agree... Can't we reserve judgment until we play through more than one game?

To everyone who wants a head coach that scored 10 points in his mean green play calling debut: we are living that dream. :blink: Are you sure you don't want to wait a little longer before making a statement you might regret?

Dickey was right about our fans.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dickey was right about our fans.

When?

The time he said that no matter how much pizza you buy them or how much you have your people bend over backwards to support their flag football game, they may not be the most logically consistent or reasonable people on earth?

I paraphrase slightly, of course...

• Upvote 1

This whole thread is silly. Go back and look at Clemson's third down conversion percentage. Look at how many times they punted in this game. More importantly look at the height/weight stats for that o-line of theirs...that's where your big plays came from. Tell me, pretty please, what AQ team we have forced into this many turnover on downs situations in the recent past. I'll wait.......

If you can't see that Rice and the belt aren't NEAR the quality of what we just faced, I have nothing more to tell you.

And let's allow our current coach this season before we annoint his successor...we may just be surprised.

8 wins.

Edited by emmitt01

"Glad QB Parker had a bad day or they would of scored 50 plus"...You think the defense had nothing to do with that? How naive....Few mistakes [a couple blow coverages defensively and some missed scoring opportunities offensively] cost them a better showing. Overall they looked promising against a bigger squad and a better programe. Lets turn to the Rice game.

As fans we need to think through our statements before we post em. After one game some are annointing Canales as the head coach in waiting. Just one game. An7yway, thats why we are fanatics.

Never quite seen that daffy'nition of fanatic but I guess it sorta' works. :blink:

Yes, before we annoint the new king, lets get through the season. Still don't think our Holy Tribunal of the prez', our AD & a few suggestion from our hired hand consultant (Chuck Neinas) would think it PR stroke of genius to hire any assistant coach from a staff that had a losing year (of which said "any" assistant would have had a part)?

New Football Stadium @ The Mean Green Village ='s A Higher Profile Name Head Football Coach but.....

I don't think any new head coach search committees will be needed after Todd Dodge's 4'th year. 7(minimum)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen