Is Clemson Game A Must Win?

meangreenbob

I sure hope like hell we go in there with the attitude of winning this game! Play the full 60 minutes and never give up regardless of the score.

We need this win! With conference realignment the hot topic and UNT no where to be found in the discussions, we need this win to make people turn around and look at us. Look at our new stadium and what we have accomplished over the last 6 years as to upgrading our facilities.

Besides, we have already used up all our excuses over the last 6 to 10 years. We have already used up all our chances of playing OOC games close.

We need to win. Close isn't good enough anymore. That was last year and so on and so on.

Just my opinion.

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

This is a "would be great to win" but not a "must win". All anyone can ask is that our men play balls-to-the-wall for four quarters...let the chips fall where they may. We are due for some bounces our way after last season and, if we play to win, we might.

Godspeed, Mean Green!

Must win?? --NO

Must look respectable... Yes.... We don't need to see 50, 60, 70 on the scoreboard. Not even 40 unless we are fairly close behind. Fans and attitude of players would suffer a "big hit" if this happens.

Play defense and no stupid special team errors or cheap TDs allowed please.

Meangreenbob asks the questions you all are afraid to ask yourselves.

Disagree Quoner.....I haven't asked this question. About Rice? Of course and I do believe it is a must win. This is why I will need to see the Rice game this weekend to see how they performed. One can easily state that we need to be competitive in this game and throw some shocker plays out there for the masses to see. People need to see us competitive but to win against an established team like Clemson when TCU barely closed them out last year is a miracle. Rice = Must Win or else we won't compete well against Army (on their turf). Getting blown out by Clemson then beaten by Rice would destroy the morale of the team and make it vastly tougher for them to compete with ease the remainder of the season. I have faith in Tune (I am a Thompson fan though) in that he did his best against Bama last year and gave Troy all he had as well. This year will see a large increase in Deep Ball attempts due to a healthy and able receiver core...and a QB who can put it down-field.

• Downvote 1

In reality is a slim to none chance of winning. I wish we could win this and we must get to where we have a realistic chance of winning these types of games very soon, but we just aren't there yet. (I expect us to go in there in play our butts off though and make it close)

We must be at least 2-2 after the first four games, preferably 3-1. To get to 7 wins:

Clemson, lose

Rice, lose

Army, win

FAU, win ( i hope we go 2-2 in first 4 games, I don't see us beating all 3 of Rice, Army and FAU, I hope we win 2 of those)

Ulala, win

Ark st, win

FIU, win

WKU, win

TRoy, lose

MTSU, lose

ULM, win

KState, lose

We ain't gonna lost to Rice. We will beat either Troy or MTSU - probably both.

Clemson is no more a "must win" than a game against OU or Texas or LSU would be. If we do win, it will be an Appalachian State over Michigan-type story.

I'd take the storyline, but that doesn't make this "must win."

Rice and Army, in my estimation (and, that's a good estimation based of past predictions), are the must win games. Those are the bellwethers of the season.

If we cannot beat Rice and Army, I will be eating crow...and Dodge should be starting to clean out his office. We were a legitimate quarterback away from beating Army last year. And, Rice is bad. Just bad.

If we can't beat those two, the hell with it. I'll go watch Texas A&M-Commerce football and see if Guy Morriss can't keep building that program up. It'll be like a scouting mission to see if he's a worthy replacement for Todd Dodge.

Must win?? --NO

Must look respectable... Yes.... We don't need to see 50, 60, 70 on the scoreboard. Not even 40 unless we are fairly close behind. Fans and attitude of players would suffer a "big hit" if this happens.

Play defense and no stupid special team errors or cheap TDs allowed please.

Completely agree with this. Sadly, I'm not even looking for a win. Just to look like we belong on the same field. For those followers who are much stronger than I, when was the last time we weren't embarrassed by a BCS conference school?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We ain't gonna lost to Rice. We will beat either Troy or MTSU - probably both.

Clemson is no more a "must win" than a game against OU or Texas or LSU would be. If we do win, it will be an Appalachian State over Michigan-type story.

I'd take the storyline, but that doesn't make this "must win."

Rice and Army, in my estimation (and, that's a good estimation based of past predictions), are the must win games. Those are the bellwethers of the season.

If we cannot beat Rice and Army, I will be eating crow...and Dodge should be starting to clean out his office. We were a legitimate quarterback away from beating Army last year. And, Rice is bad. Just bad.

If we can't beat those two, the hell with it. I'll go watch Texas A&M-Commerce football and see if Guy Morriss can't keep building that program up. It'll be like a scouting mission to see if he's a worthy replacement for Todd Dodge.

'bout sums it up for me !

In the last 15 years or so I believe we have beat some very bad Tech and Baylor teams of the AQ Conferences. Who am I missing? Have we beat any other AQ conference teams in that time span?

I will watch this game alone with a bottle of Johnnie Walker hoping for the best and expecting the worst. If we were to actually win this game the good folks of Southside Place Texas may be greeted with a naked man running the streets toting a SOW flag and making the caw sound. (not sure how one makes an eagle sound)

I better check the local ordinance on burning couches.

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 1

Completely agree with this. Sadly, I'm not even looking for a win. Just to look like we belong on the same field. For those followers who are much stronger than I, when was the last time we weren't embarrassed by a BCS conference school?

not counting baylor in '03 because it was at home, the most recent game against a BCS conference school i can find where we stayed w/in a couple scores is at arizona in '02.

My link

Refresh my memory... What "very bad" Texas Tech team did we beat in the past 15 years?

I seem to recall we beat a Tech team that finished the year with a winning record and beat Texas and Texas A&M, and then a few years later we beat another Tech team that finished with a winning record and beat Oklahoma and Texas A&M.

EDITED because I somehow replied to the wrong post. Sorry, jdennis.

Edited by TheTastyGreek
  • Upvote 1