Which Would Be Better For Nt In 2010 ?

Personally, I believe that a win over Clemson or K-State would make a much larger impact on our recruiting than going to a lower tier bowl game. We will eventually get the win over Goliath, we just need more rocks for our slingshots.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Some big (IMO) unknowns not defined in the choices are:

- What kind of season will Kansas State have this year? That would play a role in how much media coverage a UNT win would get. A win over Kansas State would be a big deal if KSU'd had a great season. If they had a crap season, no one on the outside really cares so much.

- A win in the Clemson game might not earn us many immediate brownie points because I think John Q. Public would assume that Clemson was just greatly overrated going into the year...since they wouldn't have anything else to compare it to yet. Also, how does Ball State's preseason expectations last year (following a great season the year before) match up to Clemon expectations for this year? Did the Ball State win do a lot for us in recruiting? I dunno.

- Who does UNT play in the bowl game and do they win? If UNT were to have a big win over a team with a storied season, that could be significant.

The one thing pretty well guaranteed with the scenarios is that if UNT made it to a bowl game, that's national TV exposure with little or no competition on TV for the football fan. That is what swayed my vote to the bowl game.

My $.02.

If we knocked off Clemson or K State, every sports program in the nation would be talking about it. Better Clemson than K State,because we'd get notice early in the season. But a win over K State would be great. A bowl game that we would go to/win would be the New Orleans Bowl or something similar. Not a lot of press.

Having said that, I'd be thrilled with either win or a bowl game.

GOOOOOOO MEAN GREEN

I believe making it to a bowl game shows that we are a better program overall and will do better in the long run. Sure, beating Clemson or K-State would be great, but what if it was only 1 of 3 wins next season? Didn't ULL beat K-State last season? I'd rather be MTSU than ULL right now.

• Upvote 2

Some big (IMO) unknowns not defined in the choices are:

- What kind of season will Kansas State have this year? That would play a role in how much media coverage a UNT win would get. A win over Kansas State would be a big deal if KSU'd had a great season. If they had a crap season, no one on the outside really cares so much.

- A win in the Clemson game might not earn us many immediate brownie points because I think John Q. Public would assume that Clemson was just greatly overrated going into the year...since they wouldn't have anything else to compare it to yet. Also, how does Ball State's preseason expectations last year (following a great season the year before) match up to Clemon expectations for this year? Did the Ball State win do a lot for us in recruiting? I dunno.

Everyone talks about the win over Tennessee still. Tennessee had a mediocre season that year.

So, I think a win over Clemson no matter their record would help us. With K State it would depend more on their record, but would still be adding AQ wins for the Sunbelt and that is what the writers say will continue to improve the Sunbelt.

In either case, I think dropping both and getting a bowl would help more. I hear more talk about about how many bowl games a team has been to in the past 10 or 20 years than about the regular season "big win."

7-5, third place in the SBC, with a win over one of those and a chance at a bowl would be great place to be!

The bowl trip...by a landslide. Look, a win over either K-state or Clemson is atomatically put into the "fluke" category without a successful (bowl) season. Want proof? Ask any DFW sports fan who isn't a fan of the SBC this question..."Who won the game between ULL and k-state last year"? After they say "who's ill?" they'll probably guess k-state.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I voted bowl. It would require at least 6 regular season wins, and probably 7, which would indicate strong play over an extended time period. Last year we played well for 1.5 games, then fell apart after Riley got hurt in the second half of the Ohio game. If we won against Clemson, it would be great, but only if we won at least another 5 games. Our big problem last year was playing a complete game. This year, we need to play a complete season, not start out impressive, then fade fast.

A bowl game would be great, but I guess I'll go with Clemson since I'm looking for the most immediate football gratification possible. Besides, if we're good enough to win at Clemson, it would be hard to imagine us not having a good season. Unless of course we decide to play hot potato with the football again this year after the opener.

The problem with beating Clemson or K-State (if K-State is poor next year it would not matter) and not going to a bowl is that most people would write it off as a fluke, without the backing evidence of a good enough run to be bowl eligible.

The "either or" scenario creates just one answer if thought out and that is a bowl game because it guarantees more wins, if we beat Clemson and that was one of two wins this season, beating Clemson would be worthless.

The point I haven't seen made yet, is if we beat Clemson and/or K.State, it would be an indication of a strong 2010 campaign that would almost certainly land us a bowl bid.

It's not an either/or situation necessarily.

...or an indication of a very weak 2010 campaign for Clemson/KSU. Either way, an all of the above option was not part of the hypothetical put before us.

Why choose one when we will have them both? Of course we're going to win our opener, we always do (dating back to last year). The Fouts Finale is a given. Our guys will step it up playing in the final game of such a tradition rich stadium. And we make it to the New Orleans bowl when we go undefeated, right?

I picked the bowl game because that is indicative of having a successful season as a whole. Beating Clemson would be a shocker, but Clemson has been known to falter early in the season. Kansas State concerns me because they return their entire offensive line from last year. Considering our struggles along the defensive line, we could be in for a long day, but I'm hoping to send Fouts out with a historical win.

first of all, i think i'd rather make sure we beat rice instead of clemson. that first home game needs to be good.

secondly, if we were to lose to clemson but rattle off a sunbelt championship, would it fill the stadium for the finale against KSU on the saturday after thanksgiving? i doubt it.

i'm not saying a win over clemson would have enough staying power to make an impact on the finale, but i have to think part of what would keep people away is the assumption that we'll get smoked because we always do against AQ teams.

first of all, i think i'd rather make sure we beat rice instead of clemson. that first home game needs to be good.

secondly, if we were to lose to clemson but rattle off a sunbelt championship, would it fill the stadium for the finale against KSU on the saturday after thanksgiving? i doubt it.

i'm not saying a win over clemson would have enough staying power to make an impact on the finale, but i have to think part of what would keep people away is the assumption that we'll get smoked because we always do against AQ teams.

If we beat Clemson I can promise our turnout for the Rice game would be great. Just like last year for the Ohio game. Even through the rain we had a pretty good attendance.

Agree with your assessment as to the importance of the Rice game, but I have to disagree with the above. If we win the Sun Belt, the KSU game will be packed. Even if we don't win the SBC, the KSU game will have a good crowd based upon KSU has many alumni in DFW, their fans will travel and it is the Fouts Finale.

• Upvote 1

...or an indication of a very weak 2010 campaign for Clemson/KSU. Either way, an all of the above option was not part of the hypothetical put before us.

I can't imagine both Clemson and KSU having down years of that magnatude. Even if they were both weaker this season, they are "name" programs that having victories over would look very good on our resume. I don't see anyone in the Belt with the possible exception of Troy or Muts that could match the talent either of these two teams bring. My point being, beating one or both, would be a good sign that we have a squad that could win the Belt this year.

Therefore, I vote C, All of the Above. :D

Don't get me wrong... A win over Oklahoma would be HUGE, and would definitely get this thing off to a great start.

But if I had to choose between six wins or a bowl game... I'd rather see us in the bowl. Especially if it means beating SMU, too.

Such optimistic days... We were all so young and foolish then.

• Upvote 3

Don't get me wrong... A win over Oklahoma would be HUGE, and would definitely get this thing off to a great start.

But if I had to choose between six wins or a bowl game... I'd rather see us in the bowl. Especially if it means beating SMU, too.

Such optimistic days... We were all so young and foolish then.

+1. But it was easy to believe...in Meager after that SMU game. Still, I can remember sitting behind the Mean Brigade then, listening to the band...debating over Meager vs. Vizza.

Edited by eulessismore