True Or False ? Unt Working On 2-1 With Oklahoma

MeanGreen61

Post by Green Menace on the CUSA board. Anyone have any info on this or was Green Menace just yanking someone's chain ? True ? False ? If true, would be a pack the house plus and a coupe' for UNT.

Rumor of UNT working on a 2 for 1 with Oklahoma. That one game in a new, sorely needed football venue just might boost attendance in Denton. Ya think?

Edited by MeanGreen61

Anyone heard a number on how many that we will actually be able to stuff into the new stadium? There will be a lot of PO'ed Okies if only 15K of them are selected for the short drive south. Considering the proximity to each other, I guess I can only dream of the day that we come up with a winning program and have our own version of The Red River Rivalry. Unfortunately, it may be a stretch to think that it will happen in my lifetime.

Possible, especially with Neinas now in the mix. He's got deep OU ties.

The game would only be played at Jerry World. OU plays Cincinnati this year, but not at 35,000 seat Nippert Stadium. That game is at the Bengals' home field, 65,000+ Paul Brown Stadium.

TCU is still trying to get the back end of it's 2 for 1 deal with OU (at Norman in 2005 and 2008). They played a couple of games in the 90s at Amon Carter, but that was pre-Stoops/Castiglione. My guess is that return game will be at Jerry World - especially given the TCU is taking on Oregon State there this year.

Jerry World has the potential to give bigger gates for "home" games for schools like us and TCU.

I'd want it played at the cotton bowl. The city invested heavily to make that place NICE...plus, it's not money in Jerry's pocket.

Also, I don't like this series at all. Basically it's "let us come to Norman twice to give you easy wins...and in exchange we'll give you a chance to recruit DFW at a stadium not in Denton"

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You may not like it, but OU is TV money. And, OU plus Jerry World is TV, gate and credibility. We sorely need all of those things.

Plus, OU's biggest brainfarts in the Stoops era have come outside of Norman. They delivered one last year against BYU in Arlington.

I've never minded one money game per year. And, if that money game can make us more money in Arlington than Denton or Norman, do it.

• Upvote 1

Possible, especially with Neinas now in the mix. He's got deep OU ties.

The game would only be played at Jerry World. OU plays Cincinnati this year, but not at 35,000 seat Nippert Stadium. That game is at the Bengals' home field, 65,000+ Paul Brown Stadium.

TCU is still trying to get the back end of it's 2 for 1 deal with OU (at Norman in 2005 and 2008). They played a couple of games in the 90s at Amon Carter, but that was pre-Stoops/Castiglione. My guess is that return game will be at Jerry World - especially given the TCU is taking on Oregon State there this year.

Jerry World has the potential to give bigger gates for "home" games for schools like us and TCU.

Seems like RV has said many times that home games for NT will be at NT as long as he is AD. Not Texas Stadium(RIP), The Cotton Bowl or now Jerry World.

I don't want to play any HOME game for any amount of money where NT fans are out numbered by "visiting" fans.

• Upvote 1

After spending $78 million of our money, I think I'm annoyed if we have to travel to Arlington to play anybody.

If that's the deal, just say no to OU

I know that we spending 78 Million on a new stadium, but that is needed just for games against the SBC and other teams we normally schedule OOC. If you can get a giant BCS team to play you anywhere away from their place, you do it. Rice plays Texas every other year at Reliant in Houston. TCU is playing Oregon State at JerryWorld (why, I don't know). If you get OU, UT, A&M, or LSU at JerryWorld, I think it should be done in a heartbeat. That said, I will be shocked if OU does this, since they already play here annually and have at least two games in Texas every year. Now, if you said Nebraska, which won't have Bevo 10 ties in a couple of years, coming down here for a 2 for 1, then you would have me believing quickly.

I too would believe Nebraska over OU. Look what happened to Arkansas when they left the SWC. They lost their presence in Texas and in the large metro areas, DFW and Houston. The same will happen to Nebraska. Arkansas and Nebraska are two schools that will either want to retain or regain their exposure in the Dallas area and would be much more likely than OU.

I'd love to see North Texas play at the Cowboy's stadium, but not for one of our home games. We are building a $78,000,000 stadium, and we need to play there. If OU won't play in there, then lets play a diiferent quality team that will. I'd be perfectly happy playing Oklahoma State, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa, Georga Tech, Indiana, Illinois, Colorado State, Army, Navy, Air Force, Boise State, Fresno State, Central Florida, South Florida, Boston College, Pitt, Utah, Louisville, and others. We don't have to play the best team in the Big 12 or SEC on the road every season.

Last time we played Texas, it was the first game of the season, we got the crap kicked out of us, and Kirk Hurbstreet kept talking about how Texas would have had a tougher game if they would have just scrimaged their scout team. Watching that game on ABC did feel like an "opportunity" we needed. Not good marketing.

If OU wants to play us at the new stadium, then I'm all for it.

Everyone wonders why the city of Denton doesn't get behind UNT. Perhaps it is because every time we have a "big" home game, we run to Dallas. When I drove through Denton last week, I saw NT banners near the downtown square. It was very refreshing and I think it is due to a dedication to play home games in Denton.

For me, it is the new Fouts, or forget it.

• Upvote 3

On the Nebraska conversation -

The Huskers recruited Texas just fine before the Big 12, and will continue to recruit Texas just fine after the Big 12. It's always laughable to me that we group the schools with long athletic tradition in with those without it when talking about recruiting in Texas.

It may well be true that a school like San Jose State would have to play some road games in Texas to get preps to notice their existence. But, not any of the long time, major players. Nebraska will always have national presence.