Vito Blog - Some Baseball Talk

As far as it goes, I think Vito is 100% correct in this article about a possible coach for UNT. Do you think he's coach men's soccer too? OK, I have a name of a guy perfect for Men's Soccer...DAVID HUDGELL. Currently coaches for the Dallas Texans and was once an assistant men's soccer coach at UNT.

I look for NT to start a baseball program in 2012 if they can get a park built. They have more than a half-million that was donated specifically for baseball so they have the startup costs if they have a place to play.

Just asking...where did the $500,000 come from, and how do you know it's still there waiting? If true, this is a good start...why don't all the folks who want baseball back at UNT start a fund and start pouring in the money to make it happen? Seriously, if the supporters of baseball really stood up and opened their pocketbooks, it could really set UNT up to roll with baseball in a big way from the start.

Just asking...where did the $500,000 come from, and how do you know it's still there waiting? If true, this is a good start...why don't all the folks who want baseball back at UNT start a fund and start pouring in the money to make it happen? Seriously, if the supporters of baseball really stood up and opened their pocketbooks, it could really set UNT up to roll with baseball in a big way from the start.

Baseball is needed as a spring sport and to make NT an all-around sports program. Texas and DFW especially has a lot of high school baseball talent. The SBC is a very good baseball conference (although I'd prefer us in CUSA or WAC :D ).

The main issue would be the expense for a new facility, staff, equipment, and scholarships = The N.C.A.A. limits Division I baseball teams to 11.7 full scholarships. The ships I believe would also have to be balanced on the women's sports side too for TitleIX?

Baseball is needed as a spring sport and to make NT an all-around sports program. Texas and DFW especially has a lot of high school baseball talent. The SBC is a very good baseball conference (although I'd prefer us in CUSA or WAC biggrin.gif ).

The main issue would be the expense for a new facility, staff, equipment, and scholarships = The N.C.A.A. limits Division I baseball teams to 11.7 full scholarships. The ships I believe would also have to be balanced on the women's sports side too for TitleIX?

Once more, I ask...where did the $500,000 for baseball come from and how does one know it really still exists if it ever did?

Baseball is needed as a spring sport and to make NT an all-around sports program. Texas and DFW especially has a lot of high school baseball talent. The SBC is a very good baseball conference (although I'd prefer us in CUSA or WAC :D ).

Balance it out with Women's Bowling -- Arkansas State, SFA, and SHSU have all added programs in the last 3-4 years.

Balance it out with Women's Bowling -- Arkansas State, SFA, and SHSU have all added programs in the last 3-4 years.

From my count we have 5 mens sports (basketball, football, cross country, golf, and track) and 9 womens sports (basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, softball, swiming/diving, tennis, track, and volleyball)

Does Title IV not go both ways?

From my count we have 5 mens sports (basketball, football, cross country, golf, and track) and 9 womens sports (basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, softball, swiming/diving, tennis, track, and volleyball)

Does Title IV not go both ways?

It's not the number of teams, it's the number of scolarships

It's not the number of teams, it's the number of scholarships

Correct. And, football takes up tons of men's scholarships. That's one reason that Title IX is such a "screw-job" for men's athletics and male athletes. However, it did a great deal of good for women's athletics and was very successful in that light. However, like most labor unions, it's time has come and gone. Now, the powers that be need to look at some modifications to allow for expansion in places where it is appropriate. Like men's soccer and baseball for UNT. I have no problem with the positives Title IX has had on the scholarship landscape at most colleges. While many men's teams got eliminated and male athletes suffered, it was probably the "right" thing to do at the time, and the results have been, for the most part, very positive. But, I do think it is time to take a look and see how it might could be modified to better represent the landscape in today's college athletic world.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Correct. And, football takes up tons of men's scholarships. That's one reason that Title IX is such a "screw-job" for men's athletics and male athletes. However, it did a great deal of good for women's athletics and was very successful in that light. However, like most labor unions, it's time has come and gone. Now, the powers that be need to look at some modifications to allow for expansion in places where it is appropriate. Like men's soccer and baseball for UNT. I have no problem with the positives Title IX has had on the scholarship landscape at most colleges. While many men's teams got eliminated and male athletes suffered, it was probably the "right" thing to do at the time, and the results have been, for the most part, very positive. But, I do think it is time to take a look and see how it might could be modified to better represent the landscape in today's college athletic world.

Maybe not count football towards the scholarship totals, or only count half?

If you could only count half of football scholarships then that would leave enough to allow both men's soccer and baseball.

Something I was thinking about... Since we can only pay half of the football stadium with the new student fee, can we use part of it to pay for the ballpark as well? It'd be nice to get started on an $8-12 million ballpark almost immediately, and doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to finance if we can do two projects at once with the fee.

Something I was thinking about... Since we can only pay half of the football stadium with the new student fee, can we use part of it to pay for the ballpark as well? It'd be nice to get started on an $8-12 million ballpark almost immediately, and doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to finance if we can do two projects at once with the fee.

As I understand it, we cannot fund more than 50% of any facilities project with the student fee.