Qb Recruit Better Than Riley Dodge?

Keith7

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hall might be a few inches taller than Riley, and that's good, but he also weighs about the same despite that height, and that's bad. If he actually commits here, I think the best thing for him is to redshirt a year and gain some weight, lest we want two QBs out there built to be broken.

Best point I have heard all thread. If we gripe about Riley being to small to handle the College game, he's to frail or thin or small or whatever, then the same has to be said of Mr. Hall at this point as well. Despite his advantage in height.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Javia Hall may have the tools to rewrite the record book at North Texas. He had one remarkable statistic that I remember. No interceptions in his senior season. How many times has that happened? But at this stage, he shouldn't be challenging for starting time. He needs to carry about 200 pounds to survive at this level and needs a redshirt season to condition.

Riley is #1 primarily because he knows this system better than any other player. In spite of his excessive number of turnovers he accomplished quite a bit statistically for a first year player.

None of us know what to expect next year although I'll be surprised if we win more games than we lose. There will have to be a lot of changes and attitudes to accomplish that. If we get any type of help from the JC ranks then I believe that we can be a 6-6 team, even if K State isn't successful in getting a home opponent and decides to play us. Whether we have the coaches to accomplish that is another matter.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

Did he? I think Riley's SLC teams were better than Hall's Skyline team. They went farther, beat people worse, put up more yards, had infinitely more tradition, coaching, and resources. You can argue pure talent at Skyline all you want (implying that, let's face it, SLC has more "lunchpail" guys), but Riley was plugged into a long standing system that had had year in year out success full of all-district guys... SLC had success before Riley (McElroy, Daniel) and after (Padron), each going as far or farther than Skyline ever did.

To say Riley had "lesser WRs to work with" implies he did more with less than Hall ever did... I just happen to disagree with that. In the hopeless vacuum of destitute DISD football, Hall led Skyline from the ashes with no tradition whatsoever, and a team that never approached the success of Riley's worst team. What Hall did at Skyline is far, far more impressive to me. JMHO.

I have coached against Skyline in the playoffs for the last 3 years. Hall is an outstanding QB, but let me tell you, he is no Riley Dodge. In fact, he did not even start at Skyline until this year. For the previous two seasons, he was the backup and came in only when Skyline wanted to throw. He is athletic, but Skyline made almost no attempt to run the ball with him. As you may have noticed, we used Riley in the running game with a lot of success.

And to say that Hall led Skyline "from the ashes" is false. They went at least 4 rounds deep in the playoffs in Hall's two years as the backup.

Skyline is a magnet school and gets to legally recruit from the entire DISD. They have much more talent and an enrollment that is double that of most of their opponents. They had two sign with Minnesota last year, and one of their WR is a commitment to Kansas State this year.

I'm ready for everyone to get off Riley. The only reason we were close this year was because Riley is a stud. Anyone remember Mitch Maher? He went through growing pains too. Let him grow. You will be VERY glad you did.

That being said, I would be glad to watch Hall in a green uniform when Riley graduates.

Nice reality check UNT86. Thanks for sharing.

I am thrilled that we have Riley coming back for up to 3 years. My only concern is with the deeper balls. He is going to have to get some zip on those intermediate routes to be successful over the long run. I don't expect him to ever have a rocket arm. But, our WR's are open on those 25-35 yard routes, yet the defensive backs are getting enough time to close the gap and make plays.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I have not studied Riley's passing abilities but as an observer I believe that his problem is not totally related to arm strength. Riley is not a pocket passer. Perhaps due to his height he throws a lot of passes on the run. That means he throws off of his front foot. He has plenty of zip on the short passes but it's difficult to throw a deep ball on the run. If he can set up and throw off of his back foot then I believe that he can throw a long ball as well as most of the quarterbacks in the SBC.

I honestly don't know about Hall's arm strength. Are most of his passes the short variety that receivers turn into big gainers? Or does he throw a lot of deep balls? One thing I do know...he doesn't throw interceptions.

Riley is UNT's QB. Riley is an excellent QB for the Mean Green. Riley will continue to improve during his career at UNT. That is all......

Just wondering what makes you sure Riley is our best QB, I have some doubts and was hoping you could put them to rest.

Is there anything that leads anyone to believe that Hall could run the offense better other than the fact he is taller?

Let's see now------ numerous pick sixes, inability to see down field, failure to pick up reads, floating long balls of 25 yards or more, injury prone, no leadership skill "WE CAME HERE TO TURNAROUND THIS PROGRAM"--- I'm sure I missed several dozen more, but he's our fair haired boy for now.

It's hard to be positive around here...one has to put up with so many folks who just want to complain. Riley QB's the team to a win in the Ball State game and everyone thinks he's the guy, Riley QB's the team to a loss ans he's a bum to many on this site. I'll say it again...Riley is UNT's QB, Riley is an excellent QB for the Mean Green, Riley will continue to improve during his career...That is all...

Except, of course, that is my opinion....you are more than welcome to your opinion. Time will tell who is correct, and when it does...so what? Carry on......

Let's see now------ numerous pick sixes, inability to see down field, failure to pick up reads, floating long balls of 25 yards or more, injury prone, no leadership skill "WE CAME HERE TO TURNAROUND THIS PROGRAM"--- I'm sure I missed several dozen more, but he's our fair haired boy for now.

Injury Prone? Takes chances running, I will give you that. But some of the hits he takes , and gets back up from, is because we have no size on the o-line. Failure to pick up reads? Kind of hard when there is no blocking from the o line to speak of, and a rusher is on top of you as soon as you get the ball. "No Leadership Skill"? Oh, thats right you were out in the huddle, attended practice, talked to his teammates, coaches (besides his Dad) to come to this conclusion.

I will remind you he is the highest rated recruit to come to UNT regardless of his name. Applewhite was small to, but had some talent around him including a pretty decent offensive line. That is where the size thing can be made up. QB is not the biggest problem for this offense. Your down on him because his name is D-O-D-G-E.

Injury Prone? Takes chances running, I will give you that. But some of the hits he takes , and gets back up from, is because we have no size on the o-line. Failure to pick up reads? Kind of hard when there is no blocking from the o line to speak of, and a rusher is on top of you as soon as you get the ball. "No Leadership Skill"? Oh, thats right you were out in the huddle, attended practice, talked to his teammates, coaches (besides his Dad) to come to this conclusion.

I will remind you he is the highest rated recruit to come to UNT regardless of his name. Applewhite was small to, but had some talent around him including a pretty decent offensive line. That is where the size thing can be made up. QB is not the biggest problem for this offense. Your down on him because his name is D-O-D-G-E.

I think he is down on him because he lost several games this year...due to poor decisions and turnovers...if he turned the ball over that much as a running back, he wouldn't be playing...TUNE is the better QB.