Darrell Dickey Deserves An Apology!

meangreenbob

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From reading this board, it sounds like the fans have doomed our football program altogether. I remember when the fans damned Coach Dickey for building a nest around his team and saying its us vs. them. It sounds a lot like that again. I would suggest Coach Dodge & Co. do the same thing. I would use this message board as motivation to get his players fired up. But if Dodge & Co. are successful next year, its going to awfully hard to be appreciative of the fans. The more negativity about Dodge, the greater the wedge there is between the team and the fans. I guess what I'm saying is that Dodge is here for another year and everyone just needs to live with it. Everyone needs to quit bitching and start supporting these kids so we can look forward to a successful 2010 campaign. No we didn't win a lot of games but we played a hell of a lot better. And if I'm not mistaken, it wasn't Coach Dodge out there turning the ball over and making mistakes on the field. If you look at the box score, we outplayed a lot of people but made way too mistakes and turnovers to win. If we can correct the mistakes and improve the young talent we have, we can be successful.......... as long as the fans are on board.

Edited by StealthEagle84

From reading this board, it sounds like the fans have doomed our football program altogether. I remember when the fans damned Coach Dickey for building a nest around his team and saying its us vs. them. It sounds a lot like that again. I would suggest Coach Dodge & Co. do the same thing. I would use this message board as motivation to get his players fired up. But if Dodge & Co. are successful next year, its going to awfully hard to be appreciative of the fans. The more negativity about Dodge, the greater the wedge there is between the team and the fans. I guess what I'm saying is that Dodge is here for another year and everyone just needs to live with it. Everyone needs to quit bitching and start supporting these kids so we can look forward to a successful 2010 campaign. No we didn't win a lot of games but we played a hell of a lot better. And if I'm not mistaken, it wasn't Coach Dodge out there turning the ball over and making mistakes on the field. If you look at the box score, we outplayed a lot of people but made way too mistakes and turnovers to win. If we can correct the mistakes and improve the young talent we have, we can be successful.......... as long as the fans are on board.

I think Dodge will be successful at some point, I just don't think he has it figured out yet. I don't know how long it will take either. But I have no reason to believe next year is the year. I wanted some change, and new assistants sounded like a good step. I think his problems start at the practice field, I have been told time and time again we lack an intense, disciplined, full speed practice compared with other D1 schools even compared with what Dickey used to run. TCU runs a practice that is night and day different then ours in those terms. So what is Dodge going to do to make us decidedly better that he has not figured out in three years.

I want Dodge to win and now I need him to win, from a cold calm perspective I wanted a new coach that already knew these answers. I wanted a much better chance to win when we open our new stadium. Sure we were close to beating some of the worst teams in D1, but we should not have been close we should have killed some of those teams. We were the better team on the field several times we just were not properly prepared. I don't think Dodge gets that, I think he feels he is just missing a few pieces. Riley should not be starting unless he can throw down field a good team will always eat us up. Can Riley develop the arm strength necessary to throw a pass down field without lobbing up into a free for all? I don't know. His height is another problem, just to see over the line.

I would wish that Dodge would go over to TCU and takes notes from Gary Patterson on how to run a practice as they get ready for the post season.

On thing Coach Dodge has not done is blame the fans like Darrel loved to do. He has only won 5 games in 3 years and that is going to get you strong criticism, but he has not blamed the fans for that. I think he has more character than Dickey did and thus will not drop to that level.

On thing Coach Dodge has not done is blame the fans like Darrel loved to do. He has only won 5 games in 3 years and that is going to get you strong criticism, but he has not blamed the fans for that. I think he has more character than Dickey did and thus will not drop to that level.

One thing I did hear from Dodge after one of (many) recent games we lost with help from a failed kicking game. When questioned by Jub Jub about a blocked FG, Dodge talked about (in so many words) "Knott, bless his heart, we'll have to look at the film to see if the kick was low, yadayadayada". I guess that's a point of view advocated by enough in this forum he could have some defenders of that; I have read and heard from enough people who know something about football that people blocking our kicks are coming way too free. And, not to mention our punts getting blocked, or that our kicking game was no good before Knott came here, and what about the great punter we had when Dodge came here, and whose game got worse. And oh yes, Atterberry was doing great before teams started realizing we couldn't stop their punt block units.

And it didn't sound like from what I read today that RV or Dodge are convinced that anything needs to be done differently, since we're "within a touchdown of winning many games". Is that counting on the PAT kick to be successful, or not?

Edited by eulessismore

+1

One thing I did hear from Dodge after one of (many) recent games we lost with help from a failed kicking game. When questioned by Jub Jub about a blocked FG, Dodge talked about (in so many words) "Knott, bless his heart, we'll have to look at the film to see if the kick was low, yadayadayada". I guess that's a point of view advocated by enough in this forum he could have some defenders of that; I have read and heard from enough people who know something about football that people blocking our kicks are coming way too free. And, not to mention our punts getting blocked, or that our kicking game was no good before Knott came here, and what about the great punter we had when Dodge came here, and whose game got worse. And oh yes, Atterberry was doing great before teams started realizing we couldn't stop their punt block units.

And it didn't sound like from what I read today that RV or Dodge are convinced that anything needs to be done differently, since we're "within a touchdown of winning many games". Is that counting on the PAT kick to be successful, or not?

I don't normally agree with your posts, but I must say, on this topic I think you are spot on. Great post.

At least Dickey kept it exciting with his poty mouth and evil shenanigans. All Todd Dodge does is lose.......

.....with all the character he is developing in his players. Let's hope the character turns a few more points on the field. Face it, not as many of our players will go on to be professional athletes so we owe them the better half of what athletics provides. Character will develop good team skills which will in turn get the mojo started.......I truly hope !

Go Mean Green

Steve Brodbeck

Edited by GreenAlums

I do agree whole heartily Dodge has been a class act with the fans, and I like what he as done cleaning up the program. I do want to win though.

No it was Riley throwing picks, air balls, getting sacked, fumbling, or staying injured not Todd.

Some of this I find internally contradictory. I want to support the kids, but it wasn't until very late in the season that Dodge admitted "It's my responsibility to have the team ready to play, and I didn't." Further, some of the mistakes; Riley carrying the ball loosely, celebration penalties, lack of protecting the kicker, etc., went on over numerous games. Aren't some of these coachable problems that can be worked on over the course of the season? If you look at the box score, we were losing because of problems that, to some extent, could have been helped by better play calling, or mistakes that could have been corrected early in the season.

If Dickey was a good head coach he would of landed another head coaching job by now.

I expected him to get another head coaching job. Maybe word got around about the black-uniform stunt, his hostility to fans and some of the other crap from the end of his time here. Even if you thought Dickey's run at UNT was a strong one, if you were an AD would you want to take that risk?

LOL....I remember sitting in the stands when my son was being recruited and we were given free tickets to the home games. Drunk fans in the alum section would shout obscenities at DD the entire game. And this was the first losing season after going to 4 bowl games in a row. Now we were sitting at the bottom of the stands right behind DD and the team and we could here it all so I'm sure they could too. Do you think this did anything to help get players to sign with UNT and do you think DD and the existing players thought much of the fans when hearing this crap? It's no wonder DD and co. felt the way they did after hearing that crap game after game after game. I'm just sayin. You reap what you sow.

LOL....I remember sitting in the stands when my son was being recruited and we were given free tickets to the home games. Drunk fans in the alum section would shout obscenities at DD the entire game. And this was the first losing season after going to 4 bowl games in a row. Now we were sitting at the bottom of the stands right behind DD and the team and we could here it all so I'm sure they could too. Do you think this did anything to help get players to sign with UNT and do you think DD and the existing players thought much of the fans when hearing this crap? It's no wonder DD and co. felt the way they did after hearing that crap game after game after game. I'm just sayin. You reap what you sow.

So, you signed with the Mean Green why if the "drunk fans" were so bad????? I never support "drunk fans", but in all the years I have been in the stands at Fouts, i will say, the last DD year was the closest I have ever come to having to be drunk to attend a game...boring football, and just sad!

UNT fans certainly owe DD nothing, but, I agree, that bad fan behavior is not a good recruiting tool...but, it sure doesn't seem to hurt folks like LSU...just saying..and, yes, DD certainly reaped what he sowed. I agree with that 100%.

GO MEAN GREEN!

I didn't sign my son did....I wanted him to sign with Arkansas or Kstate...the new facilities and Kenny Evans along with Duke Atterberry were good recruiters and the fact that UNT is a great school to get a degree at. Plus UNT just went to a bowl game for the 4th time...they also promised he would play TE and he would be playing in a new stadium by his JR year lol.

Charley is graduating December 19th and he's going to enroll in graduate school to work on his masters next semester. I'm very proud of him with what he's had to go through with TD high school ball.