Bataille Imposes New Requirement For P C

DallasGreen

We now are asked to return to the days of Al Hurley when your hard earned money that you donated to help the part of the university that you felt benefitted from your donation the most was instead funneled to the pet projects of the faculty and students as designated by the President. You will still be able to contribute to MGC, COBA, Alumni, etc. it just won't count toward your being in the President's chosen few unless you give her complete discretion as to how your money is spent ( or at least $1,000. of it). Those of us who favor strong athletics, business leaders, and successful entreprenuers and professionals are asked to again subordinate our support to benefit the arts, humanities, culture and the other artsy items whose alumni do absolutley nothing that enhances the visability of the university. In the words of Boone Pickens I will give to what I feel best benefits the university--a strong, competitive athletic program. Secondly I will designate my money at my own discretion not at the discretion of the Pres because it's my damn money. Good luck with the President's Council as I will cease to be a member on June 1. I hope those who stay like being told that the President is the best judge as to how THEIR MONEY should be spent. We have been down this road before--oh for a real leader like Dr. Pohl again.

I ask this question honestly. I have never heard of the President's Council before your post. Other than obtaining another fancy title, what does membership in the President's Council get you? If it is indeed nothing more than a fancy title, then whoopdy do. Quit and start writing checks directly to the athletic department.

I ask this question honestly. I have never heard of the President's Council before your post. Other than obtaining another fancy title, what does membership in the President's Council get you? If it is indeed nothing more than a fancy title, then whoopdy do. Quit and start writing checks directly to the athletic department.

You get your name in lights.

wallhonor-56.jpg

Dallas Green is correct on all points. As an advertising art graduate, I should be somewhat hurt by his comments relative to artsy (he forgot to add the fartsy)...but I am not. Anyone with an IQ of 50 or more reallizes the bang for your buck you get from a successful athletic program. As to the President's Council, I decided last year to quit that organization when I read the bonuses being paid to Bataille. Let her use some of her own money if she wants to help pump up her pet scholarship projects. By the way, you know who you have to thank for Dr. Pohl's departure...none other than our favorite leader, Chancellor Jackson.

I, too, received my letter regarding the changes being made to the President's Council. My wife and I have been a member for several years now after our good friend drex explained it to us and encouraged us to join. It was a great way to support UNT...and the areas of the university you felt strongest in supporting with both your talent and your treasure...but, now that Prez B wants to have all the dollars come to her for her sole use and descretion, I, like drex, will not be renewing my President's Council member ship when it expires. My wife and I will still give to UNT ahtletics and the other areas we support and have supported for many years, it will just not be through the President's Council.

My point being...if you are discouraged, as we are, about this dollar grab by Prez B...and choose not to re-join the President's Council...PLEASE PLEASE do not reduce your giving to the university. Just give it to the Mean Green Club, your academic area, etc. on your own without going through the President's Council. PLEASE PLEASE do not "punish" the fine area's you have supported at UNT. This IS NOT the Mean Green Club, the A&S, The Scool of Business, Music, etc., etc's fault. This is a pure money grab...for want of a better word...on the part of Prez. B.

BTW...I have absolutely no problem with Prez. B wanting a "slush fund"...many many colleges and universities have such funds...nor do I encourage anyone who wants to remain a member of the President's Council to leave....if you are in favor of the way this will be handled going forward, great for you and thanks for supporting UNT. But, as for my wife and I, we think we know better how to utilize the dollars we have worked hard to earn in support of UNT.

We will continue to support the Mean Green Club, our academic areas of choice and other various programs such as the UNT Alumni Association that we have, just not through the President's Council. It was great while it lasted, but we'll let Prez. B "grab" someone else's hard earned dollars.

I hope this "new" program leads to increased funding for UNT as UNT can use all the donations its alumni and friends can provide...as many good things are definitely happening at UNT. I do not see this as a "bad thing" at all...just a choice for how and where dollars are allocated. My wife and I are in no way "harmed" by this change...in fact...it could make it much easier for us to make sure our donations are placed properly and that the "timing" of the donations are too our liking.

SO...just keep donating...this is nothing to get too upset about as you still can do whatever you wish with your donation dollars. In fact, I hope Prez. B get lots of new dollars...that way, she can use that money to send Emeral Scholars to Thailand if she wishes. Let's just hope UNT doesn't end up with a corporate jet and new presidential office furniture and gold palted bathroom fixtures!

AS the old song says, "you don't know what you've got until its gone"...

GO MEAN GREEN!

I'm pouring out a 40 oz of OE on the curb for Dr. Pohl. I miss my homies.

I really do not blame you guys for being upset. Here is what I what like for her to express.

Hey everyone I need a slush fund. And my review of UNT's history shows a lack of alumni giving overall but especailly to our underfunded athletic program. If I could get this program back on track then I believe and statistics show that alumni involvment will increase. And with the connectlivity to the school it will garner an increase in funding for many areas of the university. This is what happens at most of the Div. 1 schools across the nation. We need a mechanism that will reconnect and bring back our former students. This is one of my priorites. If accomplished then many of our alumni will see the school in a different light. I need to right this ship and make up for some lost time. It will pay off for UNT for generations if we are successful.

Instead I fear for the status quo of our great institution. Will nobody step up and put us on a new course? Great leaders break new ground. We need to go where UNT has never gone before. And that is a commitment to athletics. We are a minority on this subject, most all the other fine institutions of learning get it. I know I know, the alumni do not give enough, attendance is crap and the students do not care. But I say much of this attitude stems from the university which seems like it is uncommitted to athletic excellance. I see the good things that are happening recently but I still feel unsure about UNT's commitment. It needs to be a priority and come from the top.

Question for those in the know, Are we getting the leadership on this from the top? Am I the only one expecting this to be a priority so we can catch up with others. Is this not in her job description or should her time be spent elsewhere?

Those of us who favor strong athletics, business leaders, and successful entreprenuers and professionals are asked to again subordinate our support to benefit the arts, humanities, culture and the other artsy items whose alumni do absolutley nothing that enhances the visability of the university.

As a member of the group "UNT alumni," I believe we do not have standing to complain about the above - though I did enjoy reading your rant. First, the students have ponied up significant financial liability to ensure we have a D1A football stadium/team. They are students, and thus if a portion of your 1K gets distributed to programs determined by the university's president to be in the best interest of those students - then that money should go there. If ever the amount of money that was "robbed" from the UNT alumni who intended 100% of their monies to be used for solely for athletics is more than the money that the students are ponying up, then you may have a point. Second, to say"arts, humanities, culture and other "artsy items whose alumni do absolutely nothing than enanches the visbility of the university" is demonstrably false. I graduated from the college of arts and sciences, as did a number of other professionals, business and civic leaders, and others who contribute to the university. Further, I am quite certain that any grammy nomination(s) earned by the music program serves as visibility.

In short, you are making a mountain out a mole hill.

Edited by MGW

DallasGreen:

1.) Talk to the other PC-level alumni, and see about getting this changed. See who you need to talk to in the university about getting this changed, and if you can't get it changed, then just write checks straight to your departments of choice. Avoid the middleman. It's what I do.

2.) Nice generalization about the arts/humanities/music/etc., there. Meanwhile, the Journalism program, Visual Arts and Music programs are what's getting the university recognized right now so I'd say that if it's working to get more students to the university, then let it do so. Take the good press that you can get while you beef up your weak points.

3.) We should plot to have Chancellor Jackson suddenly and mysteriously end up in Nairobi. It should solve all of our problems.

It is a sad day when one entity at NT looks to steal donations from another entity at NT. It was bad enough when Athletics were not allowed to solicit from certain known UNT donors because they were to be saved for other NT needs. Any re-designation of a donation without the expressed desire of the donor or a mandated portion of each donation going to a special interest should be prohibited. Shame on Dr. B and NT for such a move. BTW, athletics will always have more impact on a school's image than any other department or area of study.

DallasGreen:

1.) Talk to the other PC-level alumni, and see about getting this changed. See who you need to talk to in the university about getting this changed, and if you can't get it changed, then just write checks straight to your departments of choice. Avoid the middleman. It's what I do.

2.) Nice generalization about the arts/humanities/music/etc., there. Meanwhile, the Journalism program, Visual Arts and Music programs are what's getting the university recognized right now so I'd say that if it's working to get more students to the university, then let it do so. Take the good press that you can get while you beef up your weak points.

3.) We should plot to have Chancellor Jackson suddenly and mysteriously end up in Nairobi. It should solve all of our problems.

No. Send him to some other country that's already pissed at the U.S. No need to add new ones.

Edited by DeepGreen

DallasGreen:

Does Lee Jackson have ties to smu? I know that Dr. Pohl was pro athletic. I still remember the video of Dr. Pohl, RV, I think Smith and Dickey breaking ground on the new Athletic Center and Dr. Pohl saying as he shoveled dirt, "We're never going back!"

Did Dr. Polh's belief that athletics was the "Window to the University" cost him his job?

I am starting to have doubts about Dr. Bataille. She seems to talk an ok game at the football and basketball banquets but I'm not sure she is speaking from the heart.

I have no beef with Dr. B, she can do as she sees fit. And I respect her and what she has accomplished to date in her tenure. I also am of the opinion that she understands the power of athletics to promote and unite a university, which in turn makes raising funds for academics easier. I AM, however, sick and tired of people and politicians telling me that they know how to spend my money better than I do. Every contribution I make to UNT will be designated for a specific department and/or project.

I suggest that you all do the same.

I have no beef with Dr. B, she can do as she sees fit. And I respect her and what she has accomplished to date in her tenure. I also am of the opinion that she understands the power of athletics to promote and unite a university, which in turn makes raising funds for academics easier. I AM, however, sick and tired of people and politicians telling me that they know how to spend my money better than I do. Every contribution I make to UNT will be designated for a specific department and/or project.

I suggest that you all do the same.

Exactly! Dr. B is a great person who is committed to the long term growth of UNT. But it is my money I'm donating. I am capable of creative thought, unlike where some government entity which will channel it to satisfy some government employee's whim.

Edited by VideoEagle

Does anyone know if there is precedence for this sort of move at other universities? We always complain about UNT being so small-time in thought and planning, but I wonder if we still groan when things change despite bitching about wanting change. If that makes sense.

If not, blame the Maker's Mark.

I think it's interesting that the fund went from $200,000 to $28,000 when they dropped the requirement for contributions. What does that say about where the donors want their money to go? Seems like an odd time to go pushing the donors around when many are watching their investment accounts go down like the 2008 UNT defensive line.

That said, were I a donor, I'd simply redirect my checks.

I'm going to agree with the other here and speculate that a UNT diploma must come wrapped about a big bottle of WHINE. There's no other explanation for this being such a big deal.