Is There A Unt Flag?

FanofUNT

nmsuvictory.jpg

The Green and White North Texas Flags are commonly referred to as the NT Battle Flags. One of the longest standing symbolic traditions we have had dating back to 1986, the year the Mean Green beat TCU in Fort Worth.

av-1044.gif

It's been such a powerful statement of identity with the North Texas Mean Green over the years that even alumni have had it placed on their custom auto's.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

nmsuvictory.jpg

The Green and White North Texas Flags are commonly referred to as the NT Battle Flags. One of the longest standing symbolic traditions we have had dating back to 1986, the year the Mean Green beat TCU in Fort Worth.

av-1044.gif

It's been such a powerful statement of identity with the North Texas Mean Green over the years that even alumni have had it placed on their custom auto's.

Rick

Lets tear down Fouts just like we torn down the goal post.

• Upvote 1

nmsuvictory.jpg

av-1044.gif

Rick

Aahhh memories, not a good idea to get stuck in that crowd with the battle flag. Nearly got ko'ed by the goalpost while the students were parading it around the Stadium.

• Upvote 1

If I am not mistaken...our firend and fellow GoMeanGreen.com board member...DREX...had the original idea for this flag. I think we owe DREX a big "thank you" if, in fact, that IS the case.

Drex...you out there????

GO MEAN GREEN!

Thanks for the kudos. Yes, I designed the flag in 1986 for Dr.Hurley to use on his podium when he addressed an alumni gathering in Fort Worth. The thought behind the flag was to incorporate the Kelly Green which has been used off and on for decades with the Hayden Fry green. As you see, the field with the star is the Kelly and the lower bar represents the Fry era. More than you ever wanted to know, perhaps.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the kudos. Yes, I designed the flag in 1986 for Dr.Hurley to use on his podium when he addressed an alumni gathering in Fort Worth. The thought behind the flag was to incorporate the Kelly Green which has been used off and on for decades with the Hayden Fry green. As you see, the field with the star is the Kelly and the lower bar represents the Fry era. More than you ever wanted to know, perhaps.

Awesome job man ! When I think of NT sports, the first thing I think of is the battle flag (sorry Scrappy).

Another GREAT SYMBOL that was created by a GRADUATE OF THIS UNIVERSITY.

Of course, what drex is too professional to mention is how some of the small minded bureaucrats at the University tried for years to quash the use of the flag by claiming that it was an unlawful representation of the Texas flag. This pea brained mind-set lasted even into the new century when FFR and I were in a meeting with AD staff (in 2004) to discuss some gear that we were going to produce. We showed a battle flag that we had had made (by American Dream Flags) and one of the AD's staff immediately said "well, I can tell you the first thing that is wrong this this....it's against the law to produce it". Rick had already checked with the University's Attorney who said that THERE WAS NO SUCH LAW ON THE BOOKS. Rick set the record straight and the meeting went on.

But I'd be willing to bet that the same pea brained bureaucrat (even though he has been told the real story) is still telling University staff and spirit groups that the flag cannot be produced because it violates Texas law.

• Upvote 1

wasn't that right after you built the internet?

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the info. I have one of the flags hanging on my wall and it's cool to know there is a real history of the two colors and not that one of my panels faded! LOL! BTW, I do like the two colors better than if it was a single one.

gk