Meager's True Colors?

tommyp

I'm not defending the defense but when you throw 3 pics and have two blocked punts - you would think the other side would have won by 21 or more points. Having said that I think there is still a lot of room for improvement on the defensive side of the ball.

As for DM - he threw 3 pics one all of which appeared to be in double coverage. The short passes seemed to be working but he kept going long and that's when he gets in trouble. Last night was the second or third pic in the endzone in 2 games. That's just inexcusable.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not defending the defense but when you throw 3 pics and have two blocked punts - you would think the other side would have won by 21 or more points. Having said that I think there is still a lot of room for improvement on the defensive side of the ball.

As for DM - he threw 3 pics one all of which appeared to be in double coverage. The short passes seemed to be working but he kept going long and that's when he gets in trouble. Last night was the second or third pic in the endzone in 2 games. That's just inexcusable.

I honestly don't think Meager has the arm to go long. His passes always seem to flutter. You could see the difference last year when Woody played or even Phillips. One thing I've really noticed this year, now that NT throws 60 times a game :D, is his horrendous throwing motion. It reminds me a lot of Bernie Kosar.

One thing no one seems to have mentioned is the brilliant adjustments Schnelly made at half time. I looked up from the deck and here we were back on the field with 5 minutes remaining on the half time clock. Meanwhile Schnelly kept their players in the dressing room until the last moments figuring out how to attack and defend what he had seen in the first half. I normally don't agree with DMN, but they were completly on point that this was Schnelly's 254 th college game and Dodge's 3rd, and it showed in the second half. To his credit TD took this defeat hard in his post game interview, unlike what we became used to with DD and his flipant "who cares?' attitude. As long as there is still hurt and disappointment after a loss and the expectation of a win, mistakes can be corrected. I did not see SMU first hand as it is better for my health that I don't go to a contest with those arrogant S_ BS, but as I observed the tapes it was apparent that Meager tires out in this offense and his lack of arm strength shows up even more. I feel the kid plays with heart and runs well, but he is too slow to make decisions, telegraphs his reads, and has a painfully weak arm.

Meager is the Jake Plummer (NFL) of college football right now - good stats, nice throws, monster mistakes. Heartbreaker!

You have 1 leader out there and when that leader is not coming through - you will not have success.

I am so glad there are so many that want to watch this kids development in the hope that we maybe win a game in November.

79-10 - not OU

That's what I expect from our trip to the little piggies.

Enough BEATCH!

Great tailgate! Saw all of the great folks of old - spend more time in October! Awesome fireworks display! Green Brigade you rock and looked SHARP in those unis!

Just being back in Denton for a football game! Priceless!

GMG

Danny Meager didn't make the call to throw from the FAU 38 into the endzone at the guy that currently leads the nation in interceptions, one Tavious Polo. That was a nice drive killed right there and it was sensless to go for it all at that point. Especially considering who was roaming FAU's secondary.

What a stupid thread.

Rick

Opening up against a legit D1 and up and coming program was not the prettiest think we could have inherited from a scheduling point of view. The battle between FAU and TROY will be awesome to watch. FAU has athletes and our D played better this game holding them the best they could. The D simply got tired and from all the work THEY had to do because we lost our confidence and ability to move the chains.

FAU is for real.

GMG

Danny Meager didn't make the call to throw from the FAU 38 into the endzone at the guy that currently leads the nation in interceptions, one Tavious Polo. That was a nice drive killed right there and it was sensless to go for it all at that point. Especially considering who was roaming FAU's secondary.

What a stupid thread.

Rick

Rick

With all due respect he might not have made the call but he has to know where that player is. Now if your saying DM has to do exactly what TD says and has no lead way to go to secondary options then that brings up a lot of other issues.

Edited by El Paso Eagle

Rick

With all due respect he might not have made the call but he has to know where that player is. Now if your saying DM has to do exactly what TD says and has no lead way to go to secondary options then that brings up a lot of other issues.

He made similar throws against SMU that Fitz pulled in. But we were playing from behind that night, not with the lead. If we simply got no further than 8 more yards on that drive we have a shot at a 45 yarder and an 7 point lead.

I disagree with the call at that point. Especially after seeing the one in the first drive picked off. FAU defended us differently that SMU. We should have learned that in the first half.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Not sure if you guys were watching the same game? Danny boy threw 3 picks, 3! 2 were in the endzone (one was a poor decision by Danny, the other was an underthrown ball that Jackson didn't fight for) and that killed momentum for us swinging it FaU's way. Was he the only problem in the game? No, but his mistakes were the worst...

On a positive note, it was good to see Jamario and our run game get going as well as seeing Gilmore back (his pressure influenced a lot of plays, can't wait until his stamina is back!)

No one is saying he is the ONLY reason we lost this game. HOWEVER, his mistakes (yes, I said HIS mistakes) have come at the worst possible times the past two weeks, and you can physically see the confidence of the team and the fan base fade into nothingness immediately following. Idiots and jackasses, that's a little harsh. We see what we see, we're not blind.

Also, some of you are bailing DM out on some of these picks he's thrown. If a play is designed to go to a certain receiver as the first option, but the defense has it covered up, and then the QB throws the ball there anyway...how is that the coaching staff's fault? Unreal. The deep ball to Fitz from the 38 was there, Fitz had his guy beat. But when you wait too long to release the ball and then float it up so high that the corner and damn near both safeties have time to recover and get in on the jump ball, something ain't working right. Am I the only one who sees this?

Meager is a man, and he can handle the criticism. It comes with the territory. Why are some of us so afraid to point out the obvious? What is there to lose by starting Vizza from here on out. Can the QB play get any worse? Honestly?

Meager is the guy and Dodge will stick with him in Arkansas. But if Vizza's name was Riley Dodge, we would have seen him last night against FAU. Got to disagree with Rick on the call on the fly route that was picked off. that was his primary receiver on that play, but, his check down receiver the middle third of the field was open. DM only finds his primary receivers and does not check down well at all, you can tell by watching his head lock down on only the primary route.

Edited by newuntfan07

Calling someone a moron and not spelling it correctly=PRICELESS.

Where I grew up we called people maroons, not the same thing as a moron. A maroon to us meant a doofus or dork. I think we just liked how the word sounded.

Edited by KingDL1

No one is saying he is the ONLY reason we lost this game. HOWEVER, his mistakes (yes, I said HIS mistakes) have come at the worst possible times the past two weeks, and you can physically see the confidence of the team and the fan base fade into nothingness immediately following. Idiots and jackasses, that's a little harsh. We see what we see, we're not blind.

Also, some of you are bailing DM out on some of these picks he's thrown. If a play is designed to go to a certain receiver as the first option, but the defense has it covered up, and then the QB throws the ball there anyway...how is that the coaching staff's fault? Unreal. The deep ball to Fitz from the 38 was there, Fitz had his guy beat. But when you wait too long to release the ball and then float it up so high that the corner and damn near both safeties have time to recover and get in on the jump ball, something ain't working right. Am I the only one who sees this?

I pretty much agree with this--esp on the "idiots and jackasses" commentary! Seriously, though...only chrisfisher has commented on DM'ers pocket presense--which is probably his biggest flaw. Instead of just stepping up in the pocket (which is often available) his first instinct is to flee the pocket entirely and run outside. He could have helped out our RT who struggled with the speed rush by the FAU DE by just stepping up....instead he sells out the whole oline by immediately running for his life. Now you've got the line subject to holding penalties and the like---not to mention that DM on the run is a scary sight at best. I don't know much about Vizza, but he did show much better pocket presense when he played against OU. Riley Dodge--I've seen once in person--also looked to have a natural feel for it.

My personal feeling about the QB position is that you'll see Vizza once a conference championship is clearly no longer an option. That could be as soon as our next home game.

FirefightnRick said:
Danny Meager didn't make the call to throw from the FAU 38 into the endzone at the guy that currently leads the nation in interceptions, one Tavious Polo.

That's an asinine statement. So now when DM throws INTs it's not his fault because the coach told him to do it? :rolleyes::blink:

Settling for an adequate QB is not acceptable. Three games into the season, Meager has 4 TDs and 7 INTs. If he keeps up that pace, he'll end the season with 16 TDs and 28 INTs. That is not acceptable. The QB is the most important position in Todge's spread offense and, with an adequate QB, it just doesn't work...especially when the defense can't be counted on to stop the opponent from scoring.

Generally, when people don't have a sound argument, they resort to name calling...I'll classify your response in that category.

Just like last week, I'm not placing the entire blame for this loss on DM, but he sure as hell isn't putting us in a position to win any games. Forgive me for expecting more from my alma mater, but I don't find satisfaction in losing. I don't find satisfaction in subpar performances and I don't find satisfaction in "moral victories" that so many of you seemed to enjoy after last week's loss to SMU.

Frankly, I'm beginning to wonder how many people on this board really understand football. :rolleyes:

From what I can remember, DM has yet to hit a receiver in stride on a sideline go route this season. I think we'd have more YACs if the receivers didn't have to adjust to the ball thrown at them.

That is correct. Our receivers often have to come back to the ball.

It's hard to lay all the blame on Meager. There are a lot of things wrong with this team... but I think our offensive line exaggerates the issues at QB.

That is correct. Our receivers often have to come back to the ball.

It's hard to lay all the blame on Meager. There are a lot of things wrong with this team... but I think our offensive line exaggerates the issues at QB.

I think it is the opposite, Meager's happy feet makes it much harder to block for him. A different QB could make our offensive line look much better. No deep threat brings much more pressure on the O-line. Not to say I think there is no room for improvement on our offensive line, because there is plenty of room to improve. I think we will see Vissa after Arkansas.

That's an asinine statement. So now when DM throws INTs it's not his fault because the coach told him to do it? :rolleyes::blink:

Is that what I said? That whenever he now throws a pick it's not his fault because the coach told him to? No I didn't! Talk about "asinine" and "assumptions". We had a good drive going. Jamario was affective. We already had a pick going deep earlier in the game and it was obvious FAU had made the adjustments to take away the deep ball. Instead of throwing at the guy who leads the nation in picks, how about using your national champion running back there? And as one poster pointed out, if DM didn't check off the under route then it's his fault for missing it, however from the amount of time he took to make the throw I don't see how he's expected to check off on that play? If that was his main reciever, then the call to thow was made and I disagree with it at that point in the game. The OC got greedy and there was no reason for it.

Rick

DM should have checked down on the deep interception he threw. Its obvious that when you have a deep route that you also have a secondary route underneath. DM threw into double coverage and did not see cover 2. I would expect that from an inexperienced QB but not someone who has been on campus four years. Don't blame on the OC, we all know who runs the show on offense if your going to blame someone for that decision to throw it instead of running the ball.

I too wonder why we can't hit receivers in stride on routes. DM hit one WR in the fourth Quarter, in stride, when FAU was playing soft coverage (keeping everything in front of them). DM does not step up in the pocket at all.

DM starts Arkansas then get out of the way. If we lose one more conference game, expect our younger players to see some time.

Last time I checked DM was green and white, giveing 100% on the field. Had the game ended at halftime , this line of discussion would not be on the board. FA made some adjustments at half , that we were not prepared for , these caused the 2nd half to be a completly different ball game. Danny was outstanding the first half.

Last time I checked DM was green and white, giveing 100% on the field. Had the game ended at halftime , this line of discussion would not be on the board. FA made some adjustments at half , that we were not prepared for , these caused the 2nd half to be a completly different ball game. Danny was outstanding the first half.

no disrespect but DM was also great in the first half against SMU, but Football is 2 Halves. The coaches and the field general need to adapt to the defensive adjustments and it seems we have a quite aways to go for that.