Just Touching Base

I know it has been a while since I made a post on this board. Topics are all over the place but one thing I think is common. Everybody cares about the program and wants to see it continue to move forward. Everyone's idea of what that means is different and therefore everyone won't be pleased with every decision. The focus however always has been and always will be on escalating the strength and competitiveness of North Texas Athletics. It means a progression in every sport and every area. It means a constant evaluation of the priorities and making additions and changes where needed. It also means taking the heat when necessary, especially at times when all the information out there, is not all the information. Or when conversations or comments are taken in pieces rather than as a whole. Everyone not only will, but is entitled to express their opinion and I welcome that. I don't take offense to those who have issues with me or the program nor do I become laxed or comfortable when posters say we are doing a good job. It comes with the territory.

The bottom line right now is that there are a lot of good things going on in Athletics and at the University, more than is always transparent to fans or the general public. Be assured there is a concerted effort and continued support from leadership for the improvement of athletics at North Texas. That support runs from academics to facilities and everything in between. But things have be done in a way prescribed by the University and to ensure a long-lasting pattern of success. Remember it wasn't long ago that many were yelling for a change in basketball. Persistence and commitment led to a trip to the Big Dance. We may not seem to be able to move as fast as others at times but there are reasons (not excuses) for this. As an example many have talked about WKU and Central Florida and their stadium projects. At WKU, according to a reliable source, most of the dollars came from University funding for the project. Only about $5 million had to be raised privately. The same was true for much of the money on their basketball arena. That is not possible in the State of Texas. Central Florida started their stadium construction before much of the necessary money was raised. In fact I believe ground breaking took place before the naming rights were even sold. That is not saying that it is the way to do it or that we can do it. I want to make it clear is not a matter that any group is not willing to explore and support our projects. It's just the process.

And for facilities, when Cat Osterman was here to film her commercial for Under Armour she commented to their crew how nice the field and dugouts were. I can assure you that is as good or better than many schools and if you check web sites you will find that this is true. Again please express your feelings, but do we have to tear our own place down without knowing the whole story?

I know that I must continue to work every day as the Athletic Director building on strengths and improving my weaknesses, but I believe we can put our record up against many over the last six years. The fact that we have had to put into place about $20 million of facilities that most campuses already had, has improved our ability to recruit and compete. While Gender Equity studies and academics may not be important to some, left unattended they can be the impetus in breaking down the program and credibility on campus. We are not so big that these things are overshadowed by success on the field nor should they be allowed to do so. But you are all correct in that we must continue the progress that has already started. Remember we aspire to be like a lot of programs that have been around for a long, long time and have budgets far beyond that on which we operate. For instance, Texas will have a budget of over $100 million in 2007-2008 and many others will have tens of millions more than us. But that does not and will not stop us from pursuing and completing the objectives we have set for ourselves.

We have worked our schedules to play games at home rather than on the road. That has caused a decrease in revenue but it is the best interest of the program in both football and basketball. We got SMU on the schedule ffor football and have Navy this year,, Air Force in 2009 and both Rice and Kansas State in 2010, all at home. Oklahoma State comes to Denton in basketball this year. All teams (other than golf) are now playing on very good on-campus facilities. How do we continue this trend and continue to improve and add facilities? We have to get more season ticket buyers and MGC members. Both go a long way in freeing up dollars that can be used for other things. So despite your feelings about me good or bad, your position on coaches or even the uniforms we might wear, please continue to urge everyone to buy season tickets for all sports, join the MGC and when asked make a commitment to a capital project.

As I said five years ago, this is just the tip of the iceberg. Our future, if we let it be, is very bright. We need you all to get there.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Rick V.

The growth in the program over the past few years is incredible. There is not a time I come up to campus or attned to event that I see the growth and excitment of UNT athletics. The new look inside the Athletic Center is more evidence how the program continues to grow.

Making it the dance, the incredible press the football team is already generating, growth in our tennis, girls softball, golf, swimming, and volleyball programs. New facilities hosuing these grand sports. And, more and more people talking Mean Green Athletics.

Rick it truely is incredible. The stadium will come. But, what we can all do...is attend, to give, to recurit and continue to fill the bandwagon. The Metroplex will soon call North Texas it's home team. Thanks for your vision. Your incredible work ethic. Your building of a GRAND team. Your commitment for today, respect for yesterday, and your building for the future.

As FFR said a few days ago, "It is a great time to be Green!"

Parks and Rec Rick

We may not seem to be able to move as fast as others at times but there are reasons (not excuses) for this. As an example many have talked about WKU and Central Florida and their stadium projects. At WKU, according to a reliable source, most of the dollars came from University funding for the project. Only about $5 million had to be raised privately. The same was true for much of the money on their basketball arena. That is not possible in the State of Texas. Central Florida started their stadium construction before much of the necessary money was raised. In fact I believe ground breaking took place before the naming rights were even sold. That is not saying that it is the way to do it or that we can do it. I want to make it clear is not a matter that any group is not willing to explore and support our projects. It's just the process.

Again please express your feelings, but do we have to tear our own place down without knowing the whole story?

Rick V.

Nice to hear from the AD, but I did not here anything about the stadium status.

Stadium update ? :unsure:

I think he gave you the info you wanted on the stadium.....he just hid it a little.

We got SMU on the schedule ffor football and have Navy this year,, Air Force in 2009 and both Rice and Kansas State in 2010, all at home. Oklahoma State comes to Denton in basketball this year.

:) Thanks Rick for the updates, and the future nice home games! :)

Stadium update ? :unsure:

All teams (other than golf) are now playing on very good on-campus facilities.

How bout our Football Team?

You remind me so much of the teenager with middle class parents who asks every day up until Christmas for a new car. Every day his parents tell him that groceries, rent, utilities, gas and the four club sports he's playing all drain the household budget...yet every day the question is the same, "When will I get a car?" Then, come Christmas morning he gets a PS3 that his dad hunted long and hard for, new clothes, and a Christmas card saying his parents have started to put money into a college fund. The kid then looks up at his parents and says "Yeah, this is all nice and all but all I asked for was a car! Why don't you love me?!" Sad.

Good info... The program is moving in a positive direction, and bringing in Todd Dodge is a MAJOR part of the new excitement. RV helped get us a coach that could not only carry us into another bowl, but possibly into another conference. I dont know what other universities expect from their AD's, but we are certainly getting our money's worth out of ours. Count me in for having some patience with the rest of the growth. We will get there...

Thanks again for the info Rick. I dont think you'll find many doubters on this board. As for the stadium?, Fouts will work for now. I just think it would look a little nicer with a big CONFERENCE USA insignia at midfield!!!!....hehe.

GMG!!!

Do we all want a new stadium. HELL YES!!

Will it happen as soon as we want it to happen? Probably not unless everyone starts chipping in $1000+ every year, but it will happen. Noone can deny that UNT Athletics is well on its way to reaching new heights in a large majority of its sports.

Tennis is ready to turn the corner after a rough debut season, Swimming/Diving has added experience to the coaches, Softball has a new coach, T&F is looking great with new recruits.

All sports should be competing for Sun Belt titles this upcoming year. The biggest part of it is the continued forward progress RV has provided and not one of us can deny that Dr. Bateille has added onto the progress Dr. Pohl initiated in the gorwth of the university as a whole.

The future is bright unfortunately fans by nature are impatience. ;)

Rick,

I'll voice the pleasure it is to hear from you as everyone else has. I truly apprecaite all you've done for the University and the Athletics Department. There has been quite a change going on with teh campus, and I look forward to seeing what the future has in store.

--

Jeff

You are all corrrect, I've surfed the web probably as much as most of you and on similar boards such as GoMeanGreen.com and I have yet to see any AD show the 'nads that Rick Villarreal has in visiting and posting on this forum.

Granted, we are a difficult, stubborn and most peculiar group at times, Rick, but some of us are (like yourself) just simply ready to see this Mean Green Rocket Ship take off before some of us get shipped off to Laurel Land.

You have shown a steadfast level headed-ness from things posted on this board (a few being mine, quite frankly) when many of us of Irish descent may have darn well busted a gasket and lost our tempers. Thank you for not losing yours.

Keep on being Glad To Be Green, RV, in spite of some of us who are not quite as patient; but some of us will blame our advancing years for that shortfall. :rolleyes::)

GMG!

PS: I defer to the signature statement below:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen