Randy Butler not contacted

Glad To Be Green

Let me stop this now. I received a phone call from Coach Butler and returned his call. I asked if he was calling because he was interested in the job. I invited him to apply and send info same as all candidates. I did not initiate contact. I can also now promise you that while I do know Coach Butler and he is a good friend, he is not a contender.

Rick V

Let me stop this now. I received a phone call from Coach Butler and returned his call. I asked if he was calling because he was interested in the job. I invited him to apply and send info same as all candidates. I did not initiate contact. I can also now promise you that while I do know Coach Butler and he is a good friend, he is not a contender.

Thanks RV. Not because Coach Butler is a contender or not, but becase you took the time out of your day to give us a little insight.

oh, and plese remember to hire a coach who will institute Lombardi's offense and Landry's defense. wink.gif

Rick V

Thanks Rick for the info. Perhaps the Clarion Ledger should be set straight for trying to imply that you made the contact. Media... mad.gif

Clarion Ledger article

I have to say, the name creating the biggest buzz seems to be Todd Dodge. When I mentioned this story around the office, eyebrows shot up and the reaction was positive. It was also the talk at tonight's basketball game in my section.

I think Dodge would bring two things to UNT... recruits and increased ticket sales. Hopefully, the wins will be there as well.

Rick V

The majority of posters on this board are always going to find something to blow out of proportion. RV I appreciate your honesty and I don't know of a lot of other AD's that would post on a board like this.

In my opinion, RV has been one of the best things to happen to UNT in a long time. He's laid a foundation and set a bold vision for NT athletics, and so far he's accomplished everything he's set out to do. I keep reading posts like the stadium is a big hoax, or RV is going to rig the new coaching hire. Give me a break. Let the man do his job, he has done fantastic so far.

RV thanks for the hard work and keeping us informed.

Jon

Rick V

Thanks RV!

Rick,

Thank you for taking the time to keep us updated. Good luck with the process. I will do my best not to second guess - too much wink.gif

REVISED ON A THURSDAY MORNING:

I am sure we can all agree that this hire has to be something very, very different because UNT (as compared to the other 9 Texas D1-A football schools) will have to need to be more creative with this hire this time around because we don't have the SWC legacy going for us such as most the other Lone Star State D1-A schools who are not in the Big 12....

....nor have we ever had a national program (except golf in the 50's); but the kind of national prominence that even a UTEP has had in basketball (and how that has probably even translated to their football success in some ways).

(F)or (W)hat (I)ts (W)orth folks blink.gif .............we've been pretty well average across the board for decades and in what many of us have even perceived to be some of our greatest sports moments (with some of that even during the Fry era if the truth be known). If we ain't Top 25 we still ain't nothing but potential, fellow alums/MG fans.

We really, really, really do need to go outside the box this time around much like the time NTSU prez' Jitter Nolan said: "We can do this even at NT" (with his seeking out and then with the hiring of Hayden Fry).

To UNT A.D. Rick Villarreal: Please do pardon some of our (my) anxieties with all this because in our heart of hearts we know you want what we want with all this (probably moreso).

Some of us, Rick, have just been waiting much longer than others who have not seen actuall decades pass by them like that RoadRunner cartoon and those decades filled with much disappointment. So I guess you might say that is the prime reason for what may seem to you to be even more frustration coming from those of us from our era's frustration. And to think GrayEagleOne has been following this for 59 years defies desciption

BUT..........from all eras I think we would agree that something very special happening again (of a higher profile nature) from our Mean Green football program is way long over-due. We all want to be winners with this next hire and for you Mr. Rick Villarreal, sir...............Good Luck with this most difficult job of yours (hey, we know UNT ain't the easiest job on the NCAA D1-A block)........

.............BUT............we all hope the new UNT administration is being a close and supportive partner with you with what will arguably be the person on our campus who gets more media attention than any other person in Mean Green Country and that being.............the new Head Football Coach at the University of North Texas

As Sincere As I Can Possibly Be (and please do find it within yourself to forgive some of my own most pointed "out of decades of frustration" comments on my part, Rick)

Jim Plummer

UNT Class of 1976.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The majority of posters on this board are always going to find something to blow out of proportion. RV I appreciate your honesty and I don't know of a lot of other AD's that would post on a board like this.

In my opinion, RV has been one of the best things to happen to UNT in a long time. He's laid a foundation and set a bold vision for NT athletics, and so far he's accomplished everything he's set out to do. I keep reading posts like the stadium is a big hoax, or RV is going to rig the new coaching hire. Give me a break. Let the man do his job, he has done fantastic so far.

RV thanks for the hard work and keeping us informed.

Jon

QFT

Rick V

All hail RV!

Thanks for clearing this up. I can now take the noose down from my ceiling fan.

Seriously, all I ask is that a legitimate search take place. If that happens, I'll be happy with whoever is chosen (even if it's not my favorite candidate).

BTW, it wouldn't surprise me, at all, if the new coach ends up being someone that no one has speculated on.

Good luck in the search.

Guest JohnDenver

Who says it was Rick Villareal posting on here.  It could just be someone using his name.

Thanks for your time,

George W.

Well, we do know it is RV's account. He CANNOT confirm this is him though.

The keeper of IP's knows all...

But the keeper of IP's hasn't seen this IP from RV before.

Take that for what it's worth.

It is completely possible that someone logged in to RV's account (from a stale connection) and posted this.