Jerry Glanville

MeanMag

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would he leave a cush job in Hawaii as D-Cordinator where know one expects you to play D?

Well, you don't hunt elephants in downtown Chicago.

If you want to be a serious, legendary football coach, wouldn't you want to go where football is king? Wouldn't you want to make your name where you would have the most opportunity to do so? Wouldn't you want the best players and the hotbed recruiting scene that is Texas?

What if he likes Hawaii, but it just isn't Texas to him? Maybe he is unhappy that NO one cares if he plays D or not...

It sounds like he wants a shot, and at 65... he has lots of experience to make a go of it. And deserves consideration IMO.

I scrolled on down to read this and thought: What does this say for the ALL RUNNING GAME THESE DAYS?

No looks for Paul Johnson

Many have asked me: Why aren't more schools looking at Navy coach Paul Johnson? Well, a good source told me today that he can't get a sniff because of the type of offense he runs. Johnson wanted to get in on the North Carolina job, but it didn't happen.

Damn, Paul Johnson has been my favorite candidate for many years. I don't remember him running an all running offense though at Georgia Southern, so someone help me out there. But didn't he simply install his all run offense at Navy because of the talent he has there? Can't remember. But he's been up for several of the national coaches awards the past three or four years but if you take this report seriously he can't even get anyone interested in him now, because of the run-oriented offensive system?

At least the leaders at some of the MAJOR BCS schools agreed with some of us MFer's here at GoMeanGreen.com I suppose?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

From the Sporting News....

Jerry Glanville?

I had a source tell me today that Hawaii defensive coordinator Jerry Glanville could be a factor in the North Texas job after Darrell Dickey was let go a few weeks ago. It's a position Glanville is interested in, I'm told. It seems like a perfect match for each party.

What do they mean by "perfect match for each party"? Have we just been slammed again? huh.gif

Well, you don't hunt elephants in downtown Chicago.

If you want to be a serious, legendary football coach, wouldn't you want to go where football is king?  Wouldn't you want to make your name where you would have the most opportunity to do so?  Wouldn't you want the best players and the hotbed recruiting scene that is Texas? 

What if he likes Hawaii, but it just isn't Texas to him?  Maybe he is unhappy that NO one cares if he plays D or not...

It sounds like he wants a shot, and at 65... he has lots of experience to make a go of it.  And deserves consideration IMO.

.....may be harder to get good cowboy boots up in Hawaii.....

Whats wrong with Jerry Glannville?  He's got NFL head coaching experience and that is a selling point for recruits, isn't it?  It helped Notre Dame, Pitt and Georgia Tech.

Growing up in Houston, I loved this guy. I think he might create a recruiting buzz in Oiler country. Besides, can any of you honestly say that Darrell Dickey is a better coach than Jerry Glanville? If so, I'm sorry.

Actually, being the huge Oiler fan that I was growing up, I know that Jerry Glanville coached the "Run and Shoot" Oilers during some of his tenure, but he is actually a defensive minded coach. He is as much of a reason as any for the Oilers developing the Astrodome into the "House of Pain" moniker. He has always coached incredibly aggressive defenses and I believe he is currently Hawaii's DC.

Just food for thought.

GMG!

Jerry Glanville would be a huge marketing coup for the Sun Belt and North Texas football. He'd get a lot of attention at UNT that few other coaches in consideration would come close to bringing. His Houston Oilers tenure would pull Houston media attention.

However, my fear would be that he's a lot more into being Jerry Glanville than being a coach. A bad Glanville team would get a lot of negative attention, and make us look foolish.

At a minimum, he ought to rate a visit to Denton, if he's really interested in the possibility and wasn't just fishing for a little press.

For those of you who would want the man in Black as our coach ask yourself this question.

How many High School seniors would even know who Jerry Glanville is ?

Id say less than 10% , he would have NO impact on recruiting in Texas. Close the case on this candidate please!

For those of you who would want the man in Black as our coach ask yourself this question.

How many High School seniors would even know who Jerry Glanville is ?

Id say less than 10% , he would have NO impact on recruiting in Texas. Close the case on this candidate please!

You do realize that most seniors are not like the characters in One Tree Hill or one of those Teenie Bopper shows and that they might have parents or adults around who would let them know?