Morris signals it is over

11 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

Yea.....he's right. It's just a matter of time before this BS implodes on itself. The money is not there for most G5's and the P4s will destroy each other.

That's the thing . . . the money is not there for most G5's, so they will be more willing to play bodybag games.  And P4 teams will have zero incentive to schedule home-and-home series with G5 teams.  So the P4 teams will use increasingly weaker G5 teams to have 8-home game schedules and an easy path to bowl eligibility.

So I don't ever see "P4" and "G5" ever completely breaking off from each other.  P4 needs G5 to avoid "destroying each other."  But I do see it being more difficult than ever for G5 teams to compete with P4 teams.

• Upvote 7

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

The guy just lost every good player on his team to schools who gave his players more money. Anybody reading this article already understands the reality of what he is stating. The sooner a new G5 system can be implemented, the better.

This is football not basketball.

Hodge is the one who deserves to complain not Morris.

• Upvote 4

Over more than a decade ago I posted a marketing plan for the survival of G5’s. Darn good plan too. In fact, I used what I learned in my North Texas “Marketing Problems” class.   

I also have been saying for decades that time is of the essence. Those of you who mocked me will remember. 

Well, we did build a new stadium and even a nice indoor practice facility. But unfortunately we failed miserably at what was really important, WINNING and building a strong supportive fan base.  We made very foolish decisions in hiring head coaches and even more so in their employment contracts. It cost us dearly. We lost well over a decade of opportunity, settling for mediocrity. 

Were we ever going to be invited to the P5? Of course not. But there will be a lot  great schools left out as well. Had we had quality leaders in our Administration we would be a program other name schools would want to align with making what would be seen as a quality conference. 

But then again…….whats the saying? How does it go? All together now. But 
we are North Texas. 

• Upvote 7

That's a pretty wild defeatist attitude from your head coach. Kind of explains why they won't even try with a certain level of prospect. I've been saying it since last year, the sooner we start cutting the football budget to add to the basketball budget the better off we will be. That is the only sport we have a chance to be nationally relevant in. We didn't capitalize on the sun belt championships, we didn't capitalize on the new stadium, we didn't capitalize on the conference change, we were a middling or below average team in a bottom 2 conference for most of the last 20 years, that window has closed. 

It's forever go mean green, but the (albeit far-fetched) dream is over.

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

On 5/8/2024 at 3:57 PM, MeanGreenZen said:

The guy just lost every good player on his team to schools who gave his players more money. Anybody reading this article already understands the reality of what he is stating. The sooner a new G5 system can be implemented, the better.

Don't let reality get in the way. You have P5s paying their squad members who might never see the field during the game more than 95% of the G5s can pay their best players. The other reality is we have an alum base that, for the most part, does not care about athletics. He is not being defeatist or delusional like many fans when he says we have to find another way to make this work.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Very defeatist attitude. Maybe you feel that way in private but saying it publicly doesn’t exactly endear you to fans.

How is this the defeatus unless you're a delusional fan who doesn't realize there's a significant difference? For years, people come on here and ditch and moan about coach talk, and then a coach finally says something truthful and something that everybody knows is true, and then people want to bitch because he says that. I did not see anything he said about giving up, but I did see him commenting that we have to find different ways to do relevant, which is the same thing so many on here moan about constantly.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1