Tulane (3/14/24)

Honestly, I would have preferred any of the other 5 win teams over Tulane. Tulane has by far the best NET ranking of them, and frankly is tied with them because they had drawn clearly the toughest conference schedule (twice against SMU, UNT, UAB, FAU and Memphis i.e. no double draw against anyone from the bottom half of the conference). Their NET and other power rankings are a lot better than their win number. Which feels familiar.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, outoftown said:

Honestly, I would have preferred any of the other 5 win teams over Tulane. Tulane has by far the best NET ranking of them, and frankly is tied with them because they had drawn clearly the toughest conference schedule (twice against SMU, UNT, UAB, FAU and Memphis i.e. no double draw against anyone from the bottom half of the conference). Their NET and other power rankings are a lot better than their win number. Which feels familiar.

And Tulane's nowhere the same spot in the conference standings that LA Tech was two years ago, but it's still tough as hell to beat a team three times in a year.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

And Tulane's nowhere the same spot in the conference standings that LA Tech was two years ago, but it's still tough as hell to beat a team three times in a year.

Not if you are just flat out better than that team. 
Tulane would need to overcome a 14 point loss without Rubin and a 14 point loss with Rubin.

Wow - you can’t make this stuff up even if one tried. 

Edited by HoosMeanGreen

43 minutes ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

Not if you are just flat out better than that team. 
Tulane would need to over a 14 point loss without Rubin and a 14 point loss with Rubin.

Wow - you can’t make this stuff up even if one tried. 

I think it's true in many sports at different levels - except maybe high school where there are less upsets. First thing I think of is the Cowboys' choke to the 9-7 Giants in the divisional round the year NYG ruined the Pat's perfect season.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

I think it's true in many sports at different levels - except maybe high school where there are less upsets. First thing I think of is the Cowboys' choke to the 9-7 Giants in the divisional round the year NYG ruined the Pat's perfect season.

The Giants “got healthy” at season’s end. Unless Tulane “gets healthy” (which they were fully both games), then I don’t see the comparison. 0-3 

• Upvote 1

"tough to beat a team 3 times in one year" is more coach speak than meant as a truism, with the intent to keep the players focused and not slack when facing an opponent they have already beat twice.

And, stating the obvious, we can lose to Tulane if we are not focused.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

This is offensive. 

Defending a woman takes away her right to defend herself. It suggests that women are inherently weaker than men and incapable of self-defense. 

Define woman.

Back on topic, play our game and we will be fine.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Haha 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, BigWillie said:

I definitely don't want to look past Tulane, but would we say that FAU "is just better"? They have beaten us with TP (x2), injured, home, away, and fully healthy.

Unfortunately the answer is yes.

But upsets happen. The proverbial “if X played Y 10 times, then they would win 9” is always in play. The loss by the better team can happen at anytime during the “10 games”.  It could happen on Friday.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1