North Texas Portal Entry Thread

TheReal_jayD

9 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Light the Tower has been a big disappointment.  Putting RV in charge was in hindsight a mistake.  Now we’ve farted around and lost our best player.  What a mess.

Our donors pockets aren't big enough yet to retain a strong team. It probably takes a few years of saving up and investing to get us to the point of being able to retain talent.

Do we invest now on a couple of low talent players or wait a couple years to invest in someone bigger? No way we would reach Rogers asking price. But in 2 years we could. 

One or two players won't make a dent, so I hope our collective is focusing on 2 or 3 years out...

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

It'll get worse before it gets better but I do believe the NCAA will adapt and settle into a state where G5 programs can be competitive.

Someone mentioned before, but UNT just needs time to invest into its football collective. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

57 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Well, since he’s gone… I have never seen a quarterback fumble as much or as easily as Chandler Rogers did.

He also never won a big game for us. If he had been just a little bit better, or could have beat out Stone Earle this summer, we would be in a bowl game.

Enjoy your $1M, Chandler. Remember, after taxes and agent fees that $$$ is cut in half. 

Yes $500k as a college student is a total nightmare situation! 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Shark84 said:

I never thought I'd ever agree with the "Drop Football" group but now I'm leaning that way. Put all our money into basketball and add baseball. I feel like I'm living in Bizzaro World!

The NIL is not limited to just football. It is spreading to other sports as we speak.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

It'll get worse before it gets better but I do believe the NCAA will adapt and settle into a state where G5 programs can be competitive.

Someone mentioned before, but UNT just needs time to invest into its football collective. 

The NCAA doesn't have the balls.  The ran this shit NIL program out there with zero guidelines and the lil' Ponies tot he south made a mockery of it.  Just change it from NIL to PFP (pay for play).

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, wardly said:

The NIL is not limited to just football. It is spreading to other sports as we speak.

True, but instead of trying to keep 85 spoiled brats pockets lined, we only have to focus on 10 or 12 with basketball.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 5

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

True, but instead of trying to keep 85 spoiled brats pockets lined, we only have to focus on 10 or 12 with basketball.

Spoiled brats? These aren't just gladiators that go out there every Saturday for your own entertainment. These are college students that are actively looking to set the best course for their own personal success. Finances are a huge aspect of that mentality and while I am disappointed in the way the NCAA has handled NIL, blaming 20 year old college kids for taking money seems barbaric

Edited by rojomojo
  • Upvote 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

His career stats don't support that.

He played at Vanderbilt for crying out loud.  Of course his stats don't add up.   He had to deal with SEC teams instead of SBC & AAC teams.  Put Rogers in a Commodores helmet and I wonder how he does (heck, maybe we'll find out!)   He played SEC football, and got a degree from Vanderbilt.  That is a success to me.

I promise I'm not saying that lightly, and definitely not out of spite to poo-poo Rogers.   
Ask any of our Parker County residents who happened to see Seals play.      

Now, it seems he just wants to ball close to home, and if he wants to go into business, UNT has some extremely competitive graduate programs in that arena... not to mention an insanely-successful alumnus who runs one of the most successful Tax firms in America, who probably could get him a nice position upon graduation if he so chooses.

• Upvote 6
  • Oh Boy! 1

33 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

Spoiled brats? These aren't just gladiators that go out there every Saturday for your own entertainment. These are college students that are actively looking to set the best course for their own personal success. Finances are a huge aspect of that mentality and while I am disappointed in the way the NCAA has handled NIL, blaming 20 year old college kids for taking money seems barbaric

Not saying they don't deserve something but how many of these young people will use the money wisely. I know if I had gotten paid to go to college where all my money would have gone, and it wouldn't have been investments. Beer Booze and ...

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

Sad Cry GIF

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

"I had a full scholarship to play college football after high school but lost it after entering the portal. Now I'm back living with my parents and working at Wal-Mart" will be a popular blog post in a few years.

For those who can get good money, better use it wisely because riding the P5 bench after a great G5 career won't get you to the next level. For those who hope they'll get NIL deals and get nothing, better luck next time. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

"I had a full scholarship to play college football after high school but lost it after entering the portal. Now I'm back living with my parents and working at Wal-Mart" will be a popular blog post in a few years.

For those who can get good money, better use it wisely because riding the P5 bench after a great G5 career won't get you to the next level. For those who hope they'll get NIL deals and get nothing, better luck next time. 

Some folks around here did not grow up with any financial difficulties, and it shows.

Count your blessings, and don't assume you know the decisions these guys are having to make.

• Upvote 6
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 4

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Some folks around here did not grow up with any financial difficulties, and it shows.

Count your blessings, and don't assume you know the decisions these guys are having to make.

Both my parents are immigrants and I grew up with a single mother. Never lived with my dad and he never paid child support. I'm a first generation college student. I went to UNT as an Emerald Eagle Scholar which was for kids in low income families (https://emeraldeagles.unt.edu/).

Your comment is incredibly ignorant and I expected better from people on here but then again, maybe that's on me.

Here's from the UNT website so you don't have to look too far out of your behind to learn more about the Emerald Eagle program:

"If you are a Texas resident, and will soon be a Texas high school graduate from a home with a family adjusted gross income of $40,000 or less, and are eligible for a Federal Pell Grant through UNT, you may be eligible for UNT's Emerald Eagle Scholars Program."

Edited by GMG_Dallas
Grammar
  • Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Both my parents are immigrants and I grew up with a single mother. Never lived with my dad and he never paid child support. I'm a first generation college students. I went to UNT as an Emerald Eagle Scholar which was for kids in low income families (https://emeraldeagles.unt.edu/).

Your comment is incredibly ignorant and I expected better from people on here but then again, maybe that's on me.

Here's from the UNT website so you don't have to look too far out of your behind to learn more about the Emerald Eagle program:

"If you are a Texas resident, and will soon be a Texas high school graduate from a home with a family adjusted gross income of $40,000 or less, and are eligible for a Federal Pell Grant through UNT, you may be eligible for UNT's Emerald Eagle Scholars Program."

Your story sounds very familiar.  Believe me.
So forgive me if it's very difficult to understand why you would condemn these young men for jumping at an opportunity to make life-changing money by playing a sport they've worked so hard at for over 1/2 of their lives.    If some P5 school's collective says they're going to cut you a check for $500k-1million... what on Earth would that do for your mother?   I know what it would have done for mine.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1