Should Caponi get another year?

Jonnyeagle

Should Caponi get another year?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Should Caponi get another year?

• Yes - he needs another year to get his players
    • No - we've seen enough. Time to cut our losses

I know the popular and probably sensible answer is “No”, but I’m torn on this issue.  This defense has obviously been bad, but I’d like a little continuity.  Seems as though we’re running a new DC through here every year or two. 

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Seems as though we’re running a new DC through here every year or two. 

Unfortunately, that's what you get when you get these Mike Leach Air Raid disciples. They wouldn't know defense if it gave them 10s of millions of dollars. We need to cut our losses and go after a a good FBS DC. I am thinking JMU's DC. He may not want to come here, but he sure as hell would earn a hell of a lot more money if he did.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Venson said:

The votes are almost even. I don't understand the people who believe he needs another year to get "his players" in. I hope they know a lot more about football than I do because I just don't see it.

I voted yes but not because I want to give him time to get “his” players in. I’m sitting at yes because I am a big believer in continuity and seeing things through. Morris obviously saw something he likes so I don’t want to abandon that after a single season. Caponi is taking his lumps this year.. I want to see how he responds.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

Unless there’s just a home run hire, I don’t see him getting fired.   I’ve seen some JUCO defensive offers gone out. I’m willing to give him another year. Also, let’s see how these last two games go.  Missing a bowl game would allow the coaches to get on the recruiting trail.  It may be a blessing in disguise.  

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

40 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

Unless there’s just a home run hire, I don’t see him getting fired.   I’ve seen some JUCO defensive offers gone out. I’m willing to give him another year. Also, let’s see how these last two games go.  Missing a bowl game would allow the coaches to get on the recruiting trail.  It may be a blessing in disguise.  

This has been a BS excuse by previous staff.  Every school gets out and recruits even when bowling, between UNT, SMU, TCU it should never matter when bowling as you have to drive 15-40 minutes and you can be at whatever destination you want in DFW unless there is traffic.  

• Upvote 2

I have some ifs and buts.

NO - Is my current answer. 

At this point, I would like to see our defense have an heartbeat; if Caponi comes out with some great recruits and portal snags, I may lean the other way. 

Does anyone know if Caponi is on a one or two-year contract?

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

This has been a BS excuse by previous staff.  Every school gets out and recruits even when bowling, between UNT, SMU, TCU it should never matter when bowling as you have to drive 15-40 minutes and you can be at whatever destination you want in DFW unless there is traffic.  

For the coaches that have DFW as their territory, sure. We have coaches that also recruit other areas.  This would also give Kegans a head start on next years workouts.  Rather than dwell on the obvious negatives, I’m looking for some silver linings. 

The only answer is no. There might be 5,000 people at DATCU for the UAB game. If you still want to make people think you're serious about building a championship program, you have to fire the boss of the worst defense in FBS.

After seeing the picture above, my answer is upgraded to hell no. He's got a punchable face.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

1 hour ago, KingDL1 said:

I have some ifs and buts.

NO - Is my current answer. 

At this point, I would like to see our defense have an heartbeat; if Caponi comes out with some great recruits and portal snags, I may lean the other way. 

Does anyone know if Caponi is on a one or two-year contract?

2 year contract

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

16 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I voted yes but not because I want to give him time to get “his” players in. I’m sitting at yes because I am a big believer in continuity and seeing things through. Morris obviously saw something he likes so I don’t want to abandon that after a single season. Caponi is taking his lumps this year.. I want to see how he responds.

I've seen enough.  Morris didn't have a lot of time to put together a staff before starting recruiting.  This may be a case of seeing what he has bought and (hopefully) making some staff changes where they need to be made.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

The only answer is no. There might be 5,000 people at DATCU for the UAB game. If you still want to make people think you're serious about building a championship program, you have to fire the boss of the worst defense in FBS.

After seeing the picture above, my answer is upgraded to hell no. He's got a punchable face.

Was with you until those last two sentences.  Dial it down a notch there, Mike

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I think the lack of great, hell even serviceable defensive personnel is severely understated. Who has lived up to their potential? Rod Brown and Ridge Texada are really the only two that come to mind (as far as returners). Our next best players could arguably be true freshmen Jayvon Anderson and Evan Jackson. 

Mazin has all but disappeared after an all conference year last year - I don't blame him for this necessarily, the 3 man front has completely screwed his best tool - rushing the passer from outside the tackle. Our LB corps is laughable to mediocre at BEST, and the rest of the DL is pedestrian.

Look at the offers they're putting out: BIG DL that can plug and play in a 3 man front, and I suspect they're gonna go hunting for more DL and LB in the portal the minute it opens.

There have been moments in this defense that have bee disruptive and effective, I just don't think we have to personnel to do it consistently. I'm willing to give him him another year just for that. Plus, I don't think Morris is gonna fire him anyways.

• Upvote 5