Should Matt Caponi Be Fired? My Thoughts on the Situation.

TheReal_jayD

4 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Before we place the blame on Matt Caponi, I think we need to take a step back at how we got here. North Texas lost 5 of its top returning 7 tacklers from last year’s defense. With only Mazin Richards and Kevin Woods returning. Kevin Woods has not returned to preinjury form while Mazin has been playing in a new position most of the year. I know we have spoken to nauseum on the board that the 3-3-5 defense will not work at North Texas. But if you scan down the top defenses in the country you will see several 3-man fronts scattered in the top 20.

I think a huge reason this defense has struggled this year has been due to youth and lack of talent. I think we are seeing a ton of youth playing more and more each week. The freshman trio of Jayven Anderson, Evan Jackson and Ethan Wesloski played over 160 snaps between the three this last Saturday against UTSA. The most so far this season. I don't think the best move is to fire Caponi just yet. I want to see him, and this staff have a full offseason to use the portal and juco ranks to revamp this defense. North Texas has several key pieces set to return. If Caponi is fired it will be the 4th Defensive Coordinator in 5 years for North Texas. I would like this team to be able to have some continuity and have the chance to grow. We all love Phil Bennett, but his defense didn’t set the world on fire in year one. But we saw huge growth in year two.

I think if you don't lose Gaddie and Nixon this defense looks greatly improved this year. But hindsight is 20/20. I am not going to say Morris made the wrong hire. I do think they made a mis step by not being more aggressive in bringing in ready to play players on that side and may have been too dependent on high school recruiting. But I am wanting to see what they can do with a full offseason. 1. Caponi was not hired till after the early signing period. That is a ton of talent off the boards and put the whole team behind the 8 ball in terms of roster building. The Mount Union and Iowa State connection gives me hope that Caponi can turn this thing around.

This defense has a ton of talent to return. The Junior trio of Safeties in Hill, Wilson and Nakwaasah with freshman’s Jayven Anderson and Evan Jackson fighting for Starting Roles. Ridge Texada and Taylor Starling are set to return as cornerbacks. All Conference caliber DT Rod Brown is set to return as well. I truly believe this has been ugly this season I am no denying that. But 2. I believe with Caponi’s intelligence and pedigree that with some recruiting he will get this thing trending in the right direction.

Disclaimer: This is all my personal optimistic opinion. Morris may fire him after the SMU for all I know. But I would like a second season just to make sure. Like I said with Bennett, just because you hire a new Defensive Coordinator, I believe it will take whoever you hire to get it turned around. Especially with learning another new system.

1. The same people that want to give Caponi more time, are the same people that didn't want to fire Littrell during the season. Keeping Littrell until the end of the season put UNT behind the eight ball in early signing period recruiting. I see no reason to continue that flawed logic.

2.. Caponi had the opportunity to raid the portal and get the players needed. Either he chose to ride with what he had, or Morris wouldn't let him get players. Either way, someone screwed up, and we don't need that kind of incompetence on the staff. He's the DC the failure falls at his feet.

If I come across as unyielding, it's because I'm tired of underperformance. A lot of our fan base is sick of excuses. Personally, I'm tired of the "We're working to fix it.... We got to get a week better.... We're improving.... We in a rebuild.... excuses". At this point, I have lost all faith in Caponi's ability to lead our defense. Nothing you can write in a few paragraphs will change the fact that we have the worst defense in the entire FBS. That is a total embarrassment that no UNT fan should be expected to overlook or excuse. Our team deserves a coach that can evaluate our defensive roster and go get the players we need. Not someone that needs a few seasons to hopefully get his guys. The portal has changed everything. And, what we should tolerate and demand at UNT needs to change too. Fire Caponi. 

• Upvote 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 7
  • Puking Eagle 3

16 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

1. The same people that want to give Caponi more time, are the same people that didn't want to fire Littrell during the season. Keeping Littrell until the end of the season put UNT behind the eight ball in early signing period recruiting. I see no reason to continue that flawed logic.

2.. Caponi had the opportunity to raid the portal and get the players needed. Either he chose to ride with what he had, or Morris wouldn't let him get players. Either way, someone screwed up, and we don't need that kind of incompetence on the staff. He's the DC the failure falls at his feet.

If I come across as unyielding, it's because I'm tired of underperformance. A lot of our fan base is sick of excuses. Personally, I'm tired of the "We're working to fix it.... We got to get a week better.... We're improving.... We in a rebuild.... excuses". At this point, I have lost all faith in Caponi's ability to lead our defense. Nothing you can write in a few paragraphs will change the fact that we have the worst defense in the entire FBS. That is a total embarrassment that no UNT fan should be expected to overlook or excuse. Our team deserves a coach that can evaluate our defensive roster and go get the players we need. Not someone that needs a few seasons to hopefully get his guys. The portal has changed everything. And, what we should tolerate and demand at UNT needs to change too. Fire Caponi. 

We are a learn on the job university. Give the guy a break. He's only making $39,583.33 per game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Before we place the blame on Matt Caponi, I think we need to take a step back at how we got here. North Texas lost 5 of its top returning 7 tacklers from last year’s defense. With only Mazin Richards and Kevin Woods returning. Kevin Woods has not returned to preinjury form while Mazin has been playing in a new position most of the year. I know we have spoken to nauseum on the board that the 3-3-5 defense will not work at North Texas. But if you scan down the top defenses in the country you will see several 3-man fronts scattered in the top 20.

I think a huge reason this defense has struggled this year has been due to youth and lack of talent. I think we are seeing a ton of youth playing more and more each week. The freshman trio of Jayven Anderson, Evan Jackson and Ethan Wesloski played over 160 snaps between the three this last Saturday against UTSA. The most so far this season. I don't think the best move is to fire Caponi just yet. I want to see him, and this staff have a full offseason to use the portal and juco ranks to revamp this defense. North Texas has several key pieces set to return. If Caponi is fired it will be the 4th Defensive Coordinator in 5 years for North Texas. I would like this team to be able to have some continuity and have the chance to grow. We all love Phil Bennett, but his defense didn’t set the world on fire in year one. But we saw huge growth in year two.

I think if you don't lose Gaddie and Nixon this defense looks greatly improved this year. But hindsight is 20/20. I am not going to say Morris made the wrong hire. I do think they made a mis step by not being more aggressive in bringing in ready to play players on that side and may have been too dependent on high school recruiting. But I am wanting to see what they can do with a full offseason. Caponi was not hired till after the early signing period. That is a ton of talent off the boards and put the whole team behind the 8 ball in terms of roster building. The Mount Union and Iowa State connection gives me hope that Caponi can turn this thing around.

This defense has a ton of talent to return. The Junior trio of Safeties in Hill, Wilson and Nakwaasah with freshman’s Jayven Anderson and Evan Jackson fighting for Starting Roles. Ridge Texada and Taylor Starling are set to return as cornerbacks. All Conference caliber DT Rod Brown is set to return as well. I truly believe this has been ugly this season I am no denying that. But I believe with Caponi’s intelligence and pedigree that with some recruiting he will get this thing trending in the right direction.

Disclaimer: This is all my personal optimistic opinion. Morris may fire him after the SMU for all I know. But I would like a second season just to make sure. Like I said with Bennett, just because you hire a new Defensive Coordinator, I believe it will take whoever you hire to get it turned around. Especially with learning another new system.

Sorry, but a competent DC is able to evaluate the talent he has vs the talent he needs which means that he should have shown at least a recognition of the problem by hitting the portal hard.  90% of this abomination of a season sits at the feet of Craponi, but Morris has to own the overall responsibility.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, Dpony14 said:

Just my outsider perspective... Yall gotta quit firing DCs after one year. Continuity is extremely important on D, and without it the players think too much and process too slowly. Our defense was hot garbage last year, but with another year and some key transfers its pretty good this year. Its especially difficult to completely change schemes too. Give him another year, and i bet youre better. 

But was your DC dead last in production? Caponi can only get better... but that's also because he can't statistically be worse. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

If we finish 5-7 then this season played how many of us thought it would, maybe a win better. The FIU game kept us from going bowling. 

I see the people saying constant change is bad. I agree. But who’s to say he doesn’t lose players in the portal or other key peeps leave. Our schedule will most likely be tougher next year with Memphis. UTSA and year 2 UAB on the road.

This is so messed up because it’s a crapshoot. Fire him start over, suck. Leave him, tougher schedule, players leave, stink.

I don’t want to wait another handful of years to go bowling again.  

I bet morris keeps him and goes down or soars with the ship. 

beat smu

GMG

16 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

The recruiting aspect is going to be a big sign on if this staff can succeed. Morris focusing on HS and still seems to be is a mistake. I could care less about what coach has the inside track on a certain HS or HS connections! We should be transfer “U” and I hope every true fan is making a pledge to the NIL! The grassroots effort is very inspiring and we should all participate! GMG 

Somewhere between agreeing and disagreeing with you on this one. It is important to keep up the HS connections, but even more so for UNT to be the school these kids might transfer to. I also agree we need to focus on transfers. We could benefit a lot from looking at those trying to move "up" from FCS, D2, and JUCO (I believe many outstanding JUCO players are getting left behind due to all of the transfers). We must also be cautious about P5 players and understand why they transfer. Someone not getting to play at a P5 might be a more significant risk than those who have been playing and are looking to move up.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

let i hate everyone GIF

Fire Morris! 

Fire Caponi! 

Fire the Braswell band members who couldn't get my Mr. Pibb quickly enough on Saturday!!

Fire the bookstore staff, they didn't have the shirt I wanted in an XL!!! 

I'm tired of being the learning on the job university....WE MUST HAVE ACCOUNTABILITY!!!

i'd add the band director to this list....although yours is in jest, she needs to go

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Not sure how you conclude that.  Obviously, more experienced players are going to be better contributors in the short run.  However, I am not sure that is the right long term strategy.  

There is a lot of high school talent being ignored now that could become stars at NT.  

There is no long-term strategy for schools like us in the modern era of college football, unless you are defining long-term as 1 or 2 years.  

Recruit a HS kid, red-shirt him the first year, maybe he plays in a few games, but minimal production when all is said and done.  Year two, may or may not play much.  If he lights the world on fire, probably goes to the portal.  So we invest 2 years and get 1 year in return.  Year 2 he makes the 2-deep.  We got a good one.  Not a starter, but plays a lot.  High potential player.  Year 3 has a monster year, but goes to the portal.  Invest 3 years and get 1.5 in return.  We never get over the hump.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Udomann said:

But was your DC dead last in production? Caponi can only get better... but that's also because he can't statistically be worse. 

We were like 117 or something. So not dead last, but not far off. 

From giving up 34.7 PPG to 15.9.

Edited by Dpony14
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

When you are down at the bottom it is time for a change.  why because no one could do worse.  I dont see a change though because coaches tend to ride their hires into the ground even when there job depends on it.

Littrell fired both Reeder and Bowen after only one year. He even fired his original DC (although I didn’t agree with that move as much as the Reeder and Bowen firings). He wasn’t given much rebuild time after firing Bowen and bringing in Bennett.

6 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

let i hate everyone GIF

Fire Morris! 

Fire Caponi! 

Fire the Braswell band members who couldn't get my Mr. Pibb quickly enough on Saturday!!

Fire the bookstore staff, they didn't have the shirt I wanted in an XL!!! 

I'm tired of being the learning on the job university....WE MUST HAVE ACCOUNTABILITY!!!

Just waiting for Cal to be good or FIU to be in a bowl. 

Nevertheless, have you grown friendly with athletic department personnel? Or are you just numb? Probably both is my guess. 

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1