***OFFICIAL UTSA vs. UNT Game Day Discussion***

Coach Andy Mac

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Honest question. Should Jared have put his foot down when Morris wanted to hire a DC with no coordinator experience, or do you let the new HC hire who he wants? 

I think you trust the guy calling plays against defenses over the last 2 decades. I doubt Mosely would have better luck picking one himself. I get the Todd Dodge/RV bit but at least Caponi has been around the college game awhile.

11 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Dr Harris is a smart QB and I am glad he finally going to be out of UTSA.  He keeps his cool and knows when to throw it away.   I think UTSA has much replacing him as we did with Mason Fine.  Wonder if Traylor will take a big payday somewhere else while he is looking good.  

Pretty crazy to think he is only one high school class younger than Mason. Jaelon Darden and Frank Harris were in the same recruiting class and Jaelon has already been in the NFL for 3 years.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

Just admit it? My dude, i didn't design them. I thought they looked fine when they tweeted them, but yeah definitely lacking on the field.

I'm glad that we can agree that the black uniforms have been an absolute marketing disaster akin to the New Coke disaster and Bud Light partnering with Dylan Mulvaney. Nobody should ever alienate their customer base like that.

Are there people that don't care? Yes, and those are the people that need to be weeded from our program. We need people that actually care about our school making the decisions that affect it.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, ADLER said:

I'm glad that we can agree that the black uniforms have been an absolute marketing disaster akin to the New Coke disaster and Bud Light partnering with Dylan Mulvaney. Nobody should ever alienate their customer base like that.

Are there people that don't care? Yes, and those are the people that need to be weeded from our program. We need people that actually care about our school making the decisions that affect it.

I could not agree more.

• Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, ADLER said:

I do agree with you.  Our colors should always be green.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Professor Lambeau said:

Agreed. 9 games into the season. Defense is awful. What has Morris done to fix things at this point in the season? It's the same thing week after week after week after week after week after week after week after week after week...and the defense is consistently W E A K!

My humble prediction is that the coaches get a pass year one, but Morris better hit the portal HARD. JUCO too. Caponi will get one more chance to fix this mess we call defense. If it comes out again like this year, Morris won't have any choice but to fire him. Hopefully, with a big influx of defensive help, it gets turned around or Morris may be at risk too. We have squandered way too many opportunities. BTW, better pony up on our collective to make this work. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

My humble prediction is that the coaches get a pass year one, but Morris better hit the portal HARD. JUCO too. Caponi will get one more chance to fix this mess we call defense. If it comes out again like this year, Morris won't have any choice but to fire him. Hopefully, with a big influx of defensive help, it gets turned around or Morris may be at risk too. We have squandered way too many opportunities. BTW, better pony up on our collective to make this work. 

I don't understand how he has any choice now..

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Here's another take though. How do you recruit good talent from the portal when you are the worst defense in the nation? What is there to sell?

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Caponi will get one more chance to fix this mess we call defense. If it comes out again like this year, Morris won't have any choice but to fire him.

Before today, UNT was giving up 256.6 rushing yards and 475.5 total yards per game, which are dead last in the entire FBS. We're also giving up 36.6 points per game, which is sixth from the bottom.

Today we gave up 287 rushing yards, 421 total yards and 37 points, so two of those three stats are getting worse.

Morris could be a better offensive coach than Mike Leach and the Mean Green will have no chance next season if another Caponi defense is anywhere close to this bad.

Instead of making next season his last chance to prove himself, how about the next three games?

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Meangreen Fight said:

I heard UTSA ran 3 straight pass plays to open the second half to go 3 and out.  It like the Offensive Coordinators just barely want to cover the spreads.  

I’ve come to the conclusion watching the past few games, opposing OCs know they have no issue running and moving the ball. Get a big lead, try something.  Doesn’t work. Just go back to what they know is easy. Saw it at the end of the Tulane game and the Memphis game too. 

no risk in coming out throwing 3 times to start the half. Doesn’t work they can always go back to what’s easy. Just like they did the last drive to ice the game. 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

no risk in coming out throwing 3 times to start the half. Doesn’t work they can always go back to what’s easy. Just like they did the last drive to ice the game. 

Nothing is no risk except taking a knee.  There is also nothing really to gain by abandoning the run on your first drive.  I am not saying you shouldn't pass at all that first drive but not a single rush attempt makes no sense.

2 hours ago, BigWillie said:

Here's another take though. How do you recruit good talent from the portal when you are the worst defense in the nation? What is there to sell?

You pitch the opportunity to come in, be a bad ass, and turn this shit around. 

That's really all you can do at this point. 

• Upvote 2

I just don’t get the stark differences between the first and second halves. I know there are adjustments made, but why can’t that be done on the run? They can’t wait to be down by 20+ points every time to make their charge. 
The OL got their asses handed to them on many occasions this game. UTSA just showed what physical football was all about. If they look like this against SMU, it’s gonna be Cal all over again. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 3_n_out said:

I just don’t get the stark differences between the first and second halves. I know there are adjustments made, but why can’t that be done on the run? They can’t wait to be down by 20+ points every time to make their charge. 
The OL got their asses handed to them on many occasions this game. UTSA just showed what physical football was all about. If they look like this against SMU, it’s gonna be Cal all over again. 

Or worse.  Since SMU will not see us any longer, they don't have to show the least amount of mercy in the final score.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, southsideguy said:

If we had a bad defense it would be an improvement to what we are putting on the field.  I think a lot has to do with coaching and the fact SL left the cupboard bare for Morris.  If Morris wants to be here for awhile he may want to replace that DC sooner rather then later.  If not for UNT  then for his family.

Two more thoughts- would someone tell the game show host on the field that it is not necessary to yell into the microphone.

The DJ volume could we taken down a couple of decibels.  That want the crowd to be loud but you couldn't hear over the DJ music.  I know it is for the children but man you cant talk to the guy next to you during the game.

Sad I now go to the games excepting to lose.  Makes it easier to be a fan.  Yeah on the uniforms if I didn't know it was us and randomly turn on the TV I would not know what teams was playing.  Maybe that is the point.

Another gameday observation, the band played several times into their snap. There were also many times that they played way too late into their count. This is just sloppy and undisciplined. 

• Oh Boy! 1