Game Time Announced vs. Memphis - Homecoming

Harry

Game Time Announced vs. Memphis - Homecoming

It's time for homecoming, Mean Green Nation! The Mean Green will kick off at 2pm CT against the Memphis Tigers on Saturday, October 28th. This past Saturday, we defeated the Temple Owls, 45-14, for our first American Athletic Conference victory! We look forward to seeing you out in full force next Saturday!

With 3 games left on the home schedule, there's still time to purchase a 3-game mini plan for as low as $45! For those that purchased single game tickets to the Cal, ACU, and/or Temple game, you can upgrade to a 3 game mini plan for a discounted rate compared to single game pricing by calling the UNT Athletics Ticket Office at 940-565-2527.

Get your tickets today by clicking the buttons below.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, vpackrats said:

Has the Homecoming parade gone the way of the dodo bird?!   I get it during the Covid year, but does anyone know why there are no more parades?!  

I emailed UNT a couple of years ago regarding no parade and got a reply about lack of participation, waste created, lack of sustainability?, and Covid.  I emailed them again this year when I discovered one was not planned and got the same response, minus Covid, so it was basically a form letter.  I responded telling them that I had received the same exact answer a couple of years ago, that most of the materials used to build floats were recyclable and that I thought it was sad that another tradition was eliminated without any input from the university community, students and alumni.  I got zero response.  I responded a few days later asking for a response and that was ignored as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Pissed 2
  • Eye Roll 2

Thanks @UNTLifer  -- that is helpful ... but disappointing info.  We had some GREAT memories taking the kiddos to the homecoming parade each year back in the day, them loading up on candy pre-Halloween, etc.  In fact, we had so much fun we started inviting non-UNT family friends who brought their kids as well, we all ate at various restaurants in the Denton town square pre-or post parade ($$$ for local merchants) and now my oldest is going to UNT as he enjoyed the games and parades so much he has fond memories of the place.  

Wonder how many possible future students and lost $$ to local businesses they are forfeiting with this stupid policy?  But, y'know, sustainability. 😞  🤢

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I emailed UNT a couple of years ago regarding no parade and got a reply about lack of participation, waste created, lack of sustainability?, and Covid.  I emailed them again this year when I discovered one was not planned and got the same response, minus Covid, so it was basically a form letter.  I responded telling them that I had received the same exact answer a couple of years ago, that most of the materials used to build floats were recyclable and that I thought it was sad that another tradition was eliminated without any input from the university community, students and alumni.  I got zero response.  I responded a few days later asking for a response and that was ignored as well.

There are some really useless staff in the North Texas admin that need to go away. Not understanding or implementing the parade just shows how bad it is. Same with the cannon and many other things. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

In typical UNT fashion, we have scheduled homecoming up against the "day of the dead" festival in downtown Denton.  Any of you that attended this know that it conceivably outdraws North Texas Football anyway.  I expect a light crowd with only the regulars and few coming back from homecoming.  The football team has given little reason to attend over this great Denton tradition.  Now, beat Tulane.......maybe that changes for some.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

55 minutes ago, flyonthewall said:

In typical UNT fashion, we have scheduled homecoming up against the "day of the dead" festival in downtown Denton.  Any of you that attended this know that it conceivably outdraws North Texas Football anyway.  I expect a light crowd with only the regulars and few coming back from homecoming.  The football team has given little reason to attend over this great Denton tradition.  Now, beat Tulane.......maybe that changes for some.

The cherry on top is that the Dia de los Muertos festival has a parade with floats but UNT homecoming occurring on the same day in the same city won't have one due to "sustainability."

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Yes, I want to bring back the HOCO parade. But I understand not having two parades on the same day. The Day of the Dead celebration was set by the City of Denton well before the date for homecoming.  Yes, there is a narrow window for hoco dates, but Memphis most certainly was not the only one! Whoever picked the date for hoco clearly screwed up. 

As for "sustainability," the Tournament of Roses Parade is a great example of making a parade a great example OF sustainability!  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, flyonthewall said:

I love going to that thing right after a football game. The square is a blast and a great way to finish the night. 

Here are some links to other threads concerning the parade.

At the bottom of the first page of the above link you will find the response I got from Tracy Frier.  Her response was word for word, the exact response I had received once before which tells me people are asking and they have created a form letter response.

• Pissed 1

21 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

christa.coffey@unt.edu

She is the Director of Student Affairs.  

Here is the email I just sent

Christa,

I was given your contact information to ask about the Homecoming Parade. 

I am an alumnus with 2 degrees from UNT.  My wife and I always enjoyed going to the HC parade, and were disappointed when it was cancelled….in part, we were told, to Covid.  I can get that.  Now I  being told that it is because of the lack of participation, too much clean-up, and environmental issues.  

That, I do not understand.  Universities across the country have HC parades.  How do they avoid these issues?   Clean up is not a valid excuse.  Regarding participation, I will agree the crowd has shrunk over the years.  I would put that on the University about promoting the event, not only to students, alumni, but the surrounding community. 

The economic impact is surely a hit for business on the square.  Get creative.  Have the Greek community compete for prime spots on the route with competition….do something. 

Those of us who donate to the University and athletic department were not consulted on this decision.  UNT refuse to do the things that make other Universities stand out as the standard.  UNT needs to be part of that standard.  

Can you please explain why we are not having a parade?  Not a boiler plate answer, a real explanation as to what factors lead to the decision.  Who is the person that we need to reach out to regarding this?

Please help those of us who want this understand. 

Thank you,

Steven King

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

56 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Here is the email I just sent

Christa,

I was given your contact information to ask about the Homecoming Parade. 

I am an alumnus with 2 degrees from UNT.  My wife and I always enjoyed going to the HC parade, and were disappointed when it was cancelled….in part, we were told, to Covid.  I can get that.  Now I  being told that it is because of the lack of participation, too much clean-up, and environmental issues.  

That, I do not understand.  Universities across the country have HC parades.  How do they avoid these issues?   Clean up is not a valid excuse.  Regarding participation, I will agree the crowd has shrunk over the years.  I would put that on the University about promoting the event, not only to students, alumni, but the surrounding community. 

The economic impact is surely a hit for business on the square.  Get creative.  Have the Greek community compete for prime spots on the route with competition….do something. 

Those of us who donate to the University and athletic department were not consulted on this decision.  UNT refuse to do the things that make other Universities stand out as the standard.  UNT needs to be part of that standard.  

Can you please explain why we are not having a parade?  Not a boiler plate answer, a real explanation as to what factors lead to the decision.  Who is the person that we need to reach out to regarding this?

Please help those of us who want this understand. 

Thank you,

Steven King

You forgot to "cc".     president@unt.edu

I am retired from a State Agency. I learned a long time ago, to get the e-mail address of someone's boss when I wanted to make sure that I didn't get ignored or didn't want boilerplate responses.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I get that I may be the minority on this thread about this, but I would a million times over prefer the university/athletics spend their time and $’s figuring out ways to have events around DATCU that drag people over there vs a parade that happens away from the stadium.

Edited by DentonLurker
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DentonLurker said:

I get that I may be the minority on this thread about this, but I would a million times over prefer the university/athletics spend their time and $’s figuring out ways to have events around DATCU that drag people over there vs a parade that happens away from the stadium.

I am not sure why it has to be an either-or. As I remember, the University did not spend much, if any, money on the parade.  It was mostly different University groups and clubs that made the floats and everything.

Plus, I believe it helped the homecoming attendance significantly by making homecoming a bigger deal. 

• Upvote 4