GMG Exclusive Interview With Former North Texas DC Phil Bennett

TheReal_jayD

3 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

During the interview Phil said when he took the North Texas job he had other coaches ask him flat out why on earth would you go to North Texas?Β  Oh man, that's rough.

Not really to me. Β I realize how bad this program has been consistently and the underwhelming moves they made to make the dramatic change that needs to happen here. Β  It isn't about just more money for a coaching staff. Β  I think the only good thing Morris had done was placing a lot of value on the support staff (assistant coaches, scouts and etc.).

• Upvote 6

15 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Thank you JD. Great interview. Listening reinforced my feelings that the old staff should not have been let go.

Staff or staff and Seth Littrell? Β Who besides Bennett and Cobbs were worth keeping and why? Β Of course Phil is not going to trash the guys he worked with. Β How long being mediocre to bad is enough for you? Β  The defense wasn’t good 3 years in a roll. Β  And especially with what we’ve seen this year so far an efficient starting QB wasn’t on the 2022 roster. Β 
Β 

The important thing I took from the interview is what he said about TCU vs SMU. Β It seems beyond building football facilities the leadership had no real plan like TCU Phil talked about. Β If we did then maybe one of the coaches before McCarney or Seth have everything in place from a staffing standpoint as Morris does now. Β 
Β 

But even with all that there is no excuse for Seth being atΒ 0.500 or below to younger FBS programs and a restarted UAB program after a 2 year shutdown. Β 

0-1 against CharoletteΒ 

1-1 against ODUΒ 

4-4 against UTSA

2-2 against FAU

1-4 against UAB

I don’t know what hopes you thought were realistic had for a Seth & company led Mean Green team in 2023 or beyond. Β So far I think they might squeak by a FIU team but only if the defense tackles and he gets a QB like Rogers or better. Β  Remember Rogers committed to UNT January 9th long after Seth was fired.Β 

I can't believe Cr1028's got 6 positive reactions to 4 other than positive reactions. Β Some of us fans really have low expectations or place faith very easily in anyone who speaks positively of the Mean Green Football program. πŸ€·πŸ½β€β™‚οΈ

Β 

Edited by Meangreen Fight
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2

3 hours ago, Meangreen Fight said:

Staff or staff and Seth Littrell? Β Who besides Bennett and Cobbs were worth keeping and why? Β Of course Phil is not going to trash the guys he worked with. Β 

Staff and Seth Littrell. Bennett himself said he only came to North Texas for Seth. Littrell put together a great staff. That staff was the first staff to rival his initial staff. They improved the team’s record both years they were together. Were 2019 and 2020 bad? Absolutely but not by our historical standards. I stand by my feeling that as long as the program was improving they should’ve been allowed to continue.Β I think our first two games this year have shown how valuable Mike Bloesch was. You give extra credit to Pat because he is an alumnus but look how poorly the backs have performed without Bloesch scheming the offense and coaching the Oline (I know it was technically Clements last season but you know Bloesch still had his hands in there). Gush is a great coach too. None really merited getting canned after going to the conference title game.

How long being mediocre to bad is enough for you? Β 
Β 

What we have done by replacing them is gone from mediocre (but improving 3 consecutive years) to 2007 bad or worse.

The defense wasn’t good 3 years in a roll. Β  And especially with what we’ve seen this year so far an efficient starting QB wasn’t on the 2022 roster. Β 

Aune was the 34th rated passer in the nation last year. Why do you say Bennett was one of only two worth keeping but also say the defense wasn’t good for three straight seasons?

Β 

But even with all that there is no excuse for Seth being atΒ 0.500 or below to younger FBS programs and a restarted UAB program after a 2 year shutdown. Β 

0-1 against CharoletteΒ 

1-1 against ODUΒ 

4-4 against UTSA

2-2 against FAU

1-4 against UAB

You can throw that UAB slice out because you know full well they got to accept nonqualifiers and were allowed to have players practice for 2 years without using eligibility so they had a team stocked full of 24-25 year olds. The .500 record to the others is not bad. Old Dominion was just a disastrous game by any account but there was no opportunity for a rubber match.

I don’t know what hopes you thought were realistic had for a Seth & company led Mean Green team in 2023 or beyond. Β So far I think they might squeak by a FIU team but only if the defense tackles and he gets a QB like Rogers or better. Β  Remember Rogers committed to UNT January 9th long after Seth was fired.Β 

I would have put Cal as a loss; FIU, LaTech, and ACU as wins; Navy as a loss; Temple as a win; Tulane as a loss; Memphis and UTSA as tossups; SMU as a loss; Tulsa as a win; and UAB as a tossup. So a 6-6 or 5-7 at worst record(although 8-4 was a real possibility) to start AAC play was my realistic assumption. Can you honestly say that you believe Eric Morris’ team can meet these expectations? Even the worst case 5-7 record?

Β 

Try this exercise. Look at Seth’s record as if you were trying to forecast it taking all of the emotion out of it. Graph SL’s win/loss margin over time so year 1 was 5-8 so that would be a minus 3. Year 2 was 8-5 so that would be plus 4 and so on. You will see there is improvement throughout the entire graph except for a one year tremendous drop. Then you have to try to explain that drop and why it is contrary to the trend of the rest of the graph.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

Just listened to the interview. Great job JD!Β  Damn I miss Phil. He's a leader and I see why the kids miss playing for him.I wish Morris would call him and beg him to come back.

However, that's not going to happen. Hopefully we get some buy in with Caponi. If not, time for the rebuild.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Staff and Seth Littrell. Bennett himself said he only came to North Texas for Seth. Littrell put together a great staff. That staff was the first staff to rival his initial staff. They improved the team’s record both years they were together. Were 2019 and 2020 bad? Absolutely but not by our historical standards. I stand by my feeling that as long as the program was improving they should’ve been allowed to continue.Β I think our first two games this year have shown how valuable Mike Bloesch was. You give extra credit to Pat because he is an alumnus but look how poorly the backs have performed without Bloesch scheming the offense and coaching the Oline (I know it was technically Clements last season but you know Bloesch still had his hands in there). Gush is a great coach too. None really merited getting canned after going to the conference title game.

What we have done by replacing them is gone from mediocre (but improving 3 consecutive years) to 2007 bad or worse.

Aune was the 34th rated passer in the nation last year. Why do you say Bennett was one of only two worth keeping but also say the defense wasn’t good for three straight seasons?

Β 

You can throw that UAB slice out because you know full well they got to accept nonqualifiers and were allowed to have players practice for 2 years without using eligibility so they had a team stocked full of 24-25 year olds. The .500 record to the others is not bad. Old Dominion was just a disastrous game by any account but there was no opportunity for a rubber match.

I would have put Cal as a loss; FIU, LaTech, and ACU as wins; Navy as a loss; Temple as a win; Tulane as a loss; Memphis and UTSA as tossups; SMU as a loss; Tulsa as a win; and UAB as a tossup. So a 6-6 or 5-7 at worst record(although 8-4 was a real possibility) to start AAC play was my realistic assumption. Can you honestly say that you believe Eric Morris’ team can meet these expectations? Even the worst case 5-7 record?

Makes sense striving for mediocrity, your projections aren't trending up. Β And that is with projecting games against UTSA and Memphis as toss ups? Aune is 34 according to what metric? Β  It kind of irrelevant anyway because I don't think anyone was expecting him to come back and play better in Seth's system. Also without context like only ranking apples to apples; ie FBS quarterbacks averaging 25 attempts a game versus FBS oppoments (9 complete games) his ranking is probably not in the top 30% of quarterbacks. Β I think you are confusing his age with his ranking. Β They easily could have lost to the FIU game with Seth's staff and no QB playing as well as Rogers did. Β 

And UAB practice time omg πŸ™„ the execuses

I don't have expectations of Morris. Β I would not have hired Morris. Β But I do know it would be silly to believe there wasn't going to be an upgrade in talent with Seth & company recruiting. Β Recruits want to go to programs that are trending up, good already up or doing something new to get better (scheme change, new facilities, new charismatic coach. Β  The opening game attendance with all the new stuff going on should be interpreted as a lack of interest of what happening before.Β 

Even by the midpoint of your projections they let Seth go sometime during the season or at the end. Β 

And actually the only reason I mentioned Cobbs is because the leadership seems to think highly of them and retained him. Β Β 

Edited by Meangreen Fight