SMU's Hail Mary to play big-time football again

The wild spending of aggressive, wealthy SMU football boosters once killed the program — via an NCAA “death penalty.” That was the 1980s, when local businessmen kept buying talented recruits.

Now the businessmen are back — a new generation, at least — trying to save the program before a final churn of conference realignment leaves the prideful Mustangsbehind forever.

Give SMU backers this much: four decades ago, they never blinked at the price of a running back and they sure aren’t blinking now at the far steeper cost of conference realignment. This time it could cost $200 million.

read more: https://sports.yahoo.com/smus-hail-mary-to-play-big-time-football-again-034505772.html

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

The difference with a Hail Mary is you don’t have anything to lose. I hope this windmill chase costs them so much they can’t come back for any more games, except maybe in Division III.

You don't seem to realize neither of us have anything to lose. All of us in the AAC and MWC are about to be the equivalent of DIII or DII or whatever you want to compare to.  We, and you, have nothing to lose. Not even money, we make almost nothing in the AAC anyway.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

You don't seem to realize neither of us have anything to lose. All of us in the AAC and MWC are about to be the equivalent of DIII or DII or whatever you want to compare to.  We, and you, have nothing to lose. Not even money, we make almost nothing in the AAC anyway.

Be a good little pony and say goodnight.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Joining the ACC as a buy-in member is no assurance of anything in the future.  If there is a split of levels again it won't be guaranteed to be by conference affiliation.  Even the SEC and Big10 could stand to purge some schools lacking in football power.... Vanderbilt, Missouri, Northwestern, Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, ...

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

It seems somewhat disingenuous to have all these SMU threads and then pretend like we're not interested in SMU.

I'm *not* interested in SMU.  The only concern I have is how the AAC is impacted.  Frankly I'm hoping the ponyboys go away if the team changes conferences.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, NT80 said:

Joining the ACC as a buy-in member is no assurance of anything in the future.  If there is a split of levels again it won't be guaranteed to be by conference affiliation.  Even the SEC and Big10 could stand to purge some schools lacking in football power.... Vanderbilt, Missouri, Northwestern, Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, ...

You're right. Joining the ACC is NOT a guarantee we'll stay in the game.

But you know what IS a guarantee?  Staying in the AAC guarantees we WILL be left out. 

If we can get the chance to try, now is the time to take it.

• Upvote 5
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, DentonStang said:

But you know what IS a guarantee?  Staying in the AAC guarantees we WILL be left out. 

Not really.  Cincy from the AAC was in the CFP in 2021.  Your chances of a better record for the CFP are in the AAC, not the ACC.  What are you smoking?

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Staying in the AAC guarantees we WILL be left out. 

Where did you read this, or is this your own personal certainty?

I'm of the opinion that this is really about the P2...and everyone else.  If I'm in the SEC or B10 at that point and I have to vote for a few incoming schools, I don't really care whether your ACC or AAC. I want to know if you bring something of value.  Money will be an issue, and history won't be ignored, but I know that whoever I choose is going to reap the rewards of our P2 contracts.

So, I want to look at all options, and see who has been investing in their programs, who has a market of interest, and do you have a respected brand.  Etc, I'm sure you've thought of all this.  What I don't agree with is this imaginary cutoff point afer the ACC you are suggesting.

IMO, it's not out of the question - be it UNT or whomever - that a program that has a 5-10 year history of winning, with a passionate fanbase, and a committed administration, get's strong consideration over a perrenial bottom-dweller in the ACC or BXII.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I'm of the opinion that this is really about the P2...and everyone else.  If I'm in the SEC or B10 at that point and I have to vote for a few incoming schools, I don't really care whether your ACC or AAC. I want to know if you bring something of value.  Money will be an issue, and history won't be ignored, but I know that whoever I choose is going to reap the rewards of our P2 contracts.

So, I want to look at all options, and see who has been investing in their programs, who has a market of interest, and do you have a respected brand.  Etc, I'm sure you've thought of all this.  What I don't agree with is this imaginary cutoff point afer the ACC you are suggesting.

IMO, it's not out of the question - be it UNT or whomever - that a program that has a 5-10 year history of winning, with a passionate fanbase, and a committed administration, get's strong consideration over a perrenial bottom-dweller in the ACC or BXII.

Could be just P2.  Might be P4.  There's a lot of big state schools with congressmen left out with just P2 but who knows.

But it very, very likely won't be beyond that.  There's almost no cost to us trying beyond boosters who want to spend the money. Why not try?  Worst case is we're back where we are today. No loss.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

The odds of the AAC (or any G5 conference for that matter) having access to the playoff in the very near future is virtually zero.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

34 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

The odds of the AAC (or any G5 conference for that matter) having access to the playoff in the very near future is virtually zero.  

Top G5 is guaranteed in the new 12 team format.   Smut being top of ACC is way more likely NOT to ever happen.  

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

I was thinking beyond that, in a scenario where the P2 have their own national title system, and we are on the outside looking in.  Including ACC and B12.  The longball game here is, we are all putting ourselves in position to be a part of the P2.

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

Interesting take from The Monty Show.

As unhappy as they are in the AAC, their best option would probably be to go independent and show the world what they really can do on their own.

I agree with this. Like Stanford, SMU has the cash to be independent. And like BYU did, they’ll fill out a schedule with teams that want an OOC game that is winnable and against a recognizable opponent.  They’d fill it out with series against many regional teams and the service academies and Notre Dame. 

14 hours ago, ADLER said:

Interesting take from The Monty Show.

As unhappy as they are in the AAC, their best option would probably be to go independent and show the world what they really can do on their own.

This is beyond stupid.  Where would SMU park its other sports?  The American certainly isn't going to let SMU walk away from football and let everything else stay in the conference.  Not to mention scheduling would be an absolute nightmare.

Independence is not and never was an option.

• Haha 1

On 8/30/2023 at 8:31 AM, DentonStang said:

Are you paying attention to what’s going on in our nation and the world? 

Friend, it’s very possible we all might be left out. 

• Upvote 1