Looks like ACC about to add SMUt Cal and Stanford

5 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I mean I get, "nothing to lose, try it." But really rich people generally invest their money into sure things. This is the furthest thing from it...

There's 10-15 pledges at various levels to cover the $200M+.  That's $20M each or less. A lot to us, but just not that much to these guys. 

Regular people like you and I can pop over to Perry's with the wife for the awesome pork chop and a few drinks, maybe a dessert, and it's no big deal.  Or go someplace a tier up for a nice special dinner.  But someone who works at Target pushing carts wouldn't dream of dropping a couple hundred bucks like that for a generic dinner. Someone like that considers Cheesecake Factory a special night out and Wendy's a generic dinner place. 

None of those things are good or bad, just an example of how what's a lot to some is not a lot to others. 

When you net worth starts with a B, $20M is just not significant. 

Here's an SMU alum dropping $20M on flying a whale around. Tell me that's not dumber than buying into the ACC.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2023/08/03/colts-owner-jim-irsay-20-million-saving-whale-jonathan-taylor-contract

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, DentonStang said:

There's 10-15 pledges at various levels to cover the $200M+.  That's $20M each or less. A lot to us, but just not that much to these guys. 

Regular people like you and I can pop over to Perry's with the wife for the awesome pork chop and a few drinks, maybe a dessert, and it's no big deal.  Or go someplace a tier up for a nice special dinner.  But someone who works at Target pushing carts wouldn't dream of dropping a couple hundred bucks like that for a generic dinner. Someone like that considers Cheesecake Factory a special night out and Wendy's a generic dinner place. 

None of those things are good or bad, just an example of how what's a lot to some is not a lot to others. 

Here's an SMU alum dropping $20M on flying a whale around. Tell me that's not dumber than buying into the ACC.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2023/08/03/colts-owner-jim-irsay-20-million-saving-whale-jonathan-taylor-contract

Don't choke on the chop or do.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

You sure like bragging about others and their wealth. 

Most SMU people are the hanger-on "my friend is rich" type of people we all have met.  They can't wait for you to gas up your boat and invite them to your lake house for the weekend.

I've met enough SMU grads over the years to know the majority of them are just middle class people grinding it out like most college graduates.  They might be luckier in that someone paid for their college education, if not, they're usually worse off financially than the state school kids who have far more manageable debt loads.

As someone who's attempted to hire a few of them out of B-School, they think very highly of themselves and rarely have more skill than a UNT/UT/TAMU/TTech/UH grad.  The alumni network thins quickly every mile you get away from the Park Cities.  They sell the degree as a lock for getting you into IB jobs, when in reality other than a few local alum heavy firms, Daddy's "boutique" firm in Preston Center, and a family office or two, the degree holds no more (and probably less) water than most prominent TX biz schools.

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, NT80 said:

Dallas Morning News article says no ACC meeting rescheduled yet.  The ACC Commissioner and other conference leaders will be in Dallas tomorrow for the CFP Meetings.  

Yea I saw that. looks like i was misinformed. Still, not a smart move for the conference to go into CFP meetings without having ascertained what their membership outlook actually is.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, outoftown said:

Still, not a smart move for the conference to go into CFP meetings without having ascertained what their membership outlook actually is.

I don’t know that this is true. The meetings may give them a peak behind the curtain at what the powers that be (B10/SEC) are thinking with respect to the B12 and PAC leftovers. That may help guide the ACC’s next steps.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, DentonStang said:

I dont know about you, but on pork chop Friday's I can get out of Perry's under $100 easy.....

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

On 8/24/2023 at 12:38 PM, greenminer said:

What is ESPN's interest long term?

Is their ideal broadcast option a P2 NCAA, with everyone else as far out of the picture as possible, ASAP?  Or do we have reason to believe they want a 3rd (and 4th) conference right there, at least in peripheral vision?

@Cerebus @Arkstfan

Their interest is to consolidate value. Note that the P2+1 (ACC) is leagues with their own TV network. In the case of B1G, a network co-owned by the league, with ACC and SEC, a fat rights fee for the branding, but no capital outlay or risk by the leagues (absent bankruptcy proceedings). 

The G5 have been getting more linear spots because so much inventory is being hustled by the conference networks. Now that they have more inventory, there may be less need for AAC, CUSA, MAC, MWC, Sun Belt content but it still matters how many people will subscribe to streaming. 

I think there is an expectation at ESPN that they will move some of this new inventory to not just the networks they've created, but to streaming as well. Knowing everything that is going on ESPN cut a new contract with the Missouri Valley Football Conference that doesn't just put MVFC content on ESPN+ it also includes linear broadcasts. 

ESPN doesn't reveal their streaming numbers, but a few years ago (pre-Covid) some numbers did leak and one thing that popped up was, SBC does quite well streaming. Casual fans don't mean crap in a streaming environment, the dude who shows up for a big game or takes the kids once a year isn't likely to pay to stream the rest of the games. Charlotte probably beats App in linear audience, App undoubtedly has more fans willing to pay ESPN for the privilege of streaming than Charlotte has.

A new market/economy is emerging.

The upside for G5 is look at TV.

Today if you are a studio/network you don't generally take your highbrow shows that appeal to people who appreciate great production values, good acting, and great scripts and stick them on CBS. You put that show on Paramount+ and you fill the time slot on CBS with a low cost "reality" show, or a competition show, or some cheap formulaic comedy.

The G5 fill the need for cheap content, especially to fill in when your casual audience is people who might change channels because TAMU-LSU turns out to be boring or because Cowboys vs Giants on Thursday night isn't interesting. 

G5 fill your need for people willing to pay for streaming because you want wring extra dollars out of the process and insure content isn't counter-programmed in ways you don't want.

G5 conferences do not fill your need for a dedicated linear/streaming network because they don't have the oomph to force Direct TV or Charter to pay a fat carriage fee.

B1G and SEC (lesser degree ACC and even lesser degree B12) are Taylor Swift. Fat guarantees upfront to go to the studio, ridiculously large stadium tours, insane merch revenue, a follow-up live album and of course a movie that will generate theater revenue, followed by buy a copy, followed by rentals, followed by right to include in your streaming service.

G5 is Jason Isbell. Got to be involved in having your own record company that puts it together, contract someone to distribute, make your money filling small venues on 200 date tour and making a bit each night on merch.

• Upvote 1

Oh and to just add.

Big XII commissioner has said that in the future, he expects Big XII will break basketball away from the TV rights deal and sell hoops independently because he believes there is no new money to be made off football rights while there is potential for hoops to generate more, especially via streaming. He was all set to go after Gonzaga and UConn if the four corners schools didn't join because he thinks putting that much basketball prowess in one place creates something people will pay to see. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

Finebaum is unhinged.  Does he really think adding teams will be the difference between FSU etc trying to leave vs staying?  They've been talking about leaving for quite some time already. 

• Downvote 1

Wow!   This is a really long thread.   I admittedly didn't read much of it, but I hope this point has been made:

The fact that there were several ACC schools that had to have their arms twisted in order to make this happen, and the fact that the 3 schools the ACC added are pretty terrible (outside of Stanford), in the grand scheme...

Should tell you all you need to know about the other ACC teams' intentions of hanging around long term, and the future of the ACC.    What that means for schools like Wake, Syracuse, Louisville, BC, SMU, Stanford, & Cal, remains to be seen.

I know you SMU fans are smart enough to see this is temporary.   And yes, of course, if NT were in your position we'd do it too.

Of course, I was wrong about the Big 12's predicted implosion after the departure of TX & OU, so who the heck knows?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I know you SMU fans are smart enough to see this is temporary.   And yes, of course, if NT were in your position we'd do it too.

You just know there is an out clause if one school leaves.  So SMU knows what they are doing here and we would do the same.  We have such bigger problems to deal with.  Our football team is at the bottom of the entire league.  Saturday was horrible!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Finebaum is unhinged.  Does he really think adding teams will be the difference between FSU etc trying to leave vs staying?  They've been talking about leaving for quite some time already. 

It's not to keep FSU from leaving.  NCSU changed their vote to add 3 new members to keep the conference from collapsing if a couple schools leave.   Safety in numbers.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, NT80 said:

It's not to keep FSU from leaving.  NCSU changed their vote to add 3 new members to keep the conference from collapsing if a couple schools leave.   Safety in numbers.

I agree. I'm expressing outrage Finebaum would imply that FSU are more likely to leave after the vote. Silly. If they could leave they would leave, with or without the additions. The additions did nothing on that front. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, DentonStang said:

I agree. I'm expressing outrage Finebaum would imply that FSU are more likely to leave after the vote. Silly. If they could leave they would leave, with or without the additions. The additions did nothing on that front. 

@DentonStang Are you guys in Ponyland hearing any rumors on the buyout to leave the American on short notice?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

@DentonStang Are you guys in Ponyland hearing any rumors on the buyout to leave the American on short notice?

Nothing specific yet. We expect it to be a similar deal to UH UCF Cincy.  They are $14M over 18 years.  Something in the ballpark of $20M-$25M paid out over a long window, say 15-20 years. 

It's not been a big topic of discussion as the funds were raised several years ago and sitting in the special conference expansion war chest. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Yes, FSU is going to do FSU things, for themselves first and only.  The extra revenue from the new addition's concessions was supposed to keep them a little happier for a while.  But with their win over LSU and now #4 ranking they feel empowered that they need SEC type revenue now more than ever.

• Upvote 1