PAC 12 Realignment Talk Mega Thread (All 12 threads merged)

29 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff set to present media rights deal to member schools, per reports

"Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff is expected to present a potential media rights deal to member institutions within the next 48 hours, according to multiple reports."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/pac-12-commissioner-george-kliavkoff-set-to-present-media-rights-deal-to-member-schools-per-reports/

Lol what a crappy deal

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

Arizona schedules Board of Regents meeting

"The University of Arizona‘s Board of Regents have scheduled a meeting for Tuesday, according to Wildcat Authority publisher Jason Scheer. The news comes days following Colorado’s Board of Trustees unanimously agreeing to leave the Pac-12.

According to the report, the agenda for the meeting is unknown, and it was not previously scheduled before Monday."

https://www.on3.com/college/arizona-wildcats/news/arizona-schedules-board-of-regents-meeting-following-colorados-departure-from-pac-12/

Well the big boys in the pac 10 will be looking for new homes.  The new deal is 20 million per school which will be down from 33.6 million per school.  The big 12 pays their schools 38 million a year.   The big 10 pays 54.3 million a school.  You have to think the Oregons, Washington's Arizona and Utah are looking for a new conference.  

Since SMU and SDSU are leading candidates for the jump they will will get more money leaving the AAC so they will be gone as well.  So this about to get real interesting and not a good way for us.  I look for a MWC leftovers and AAC left overs to become one league.   The mwc pays out about 4 million a year. The AAC pays about 7 million a year to its teams.

By the way the ACC pays it member 30.9-37 million per team and the big east 10-14 million per team. CUSA pay out is 400-500k a team.  These numbers are rough estimates.  I checked several sources and the numbers are a bit different on each source.

It is all about the money and we will be one of the teams on the outside looking in. They need to do revenue sharing in college football but we know the big boys wont do that.

So SMU leaves we no longer play them or the old deal still in play?

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Well the big boys in the pac 10 will be looking for new homes.  The new deal is 20 million per school which will be down from 33.6 million per school.  The big 12 pays their schools 38 million a year.   The big 10 pays 54.3 million a school.  You have to think the Oregons, Washington's Arizona and Utah are looking for a new conference.  

Since SMU and SDSU are leading candidates for the jump they will will get more money leaving the AAC so they will be gone as well.  So this about to get real interesting and not a good way for us.  I look for a MWC leftovers and AAC left overs to become one league.   The mwc pays out about 4 million a year. The AAC pays about 7 million a year to its teams.

By the way the ACC pays it member 30.9-37 million per team and the big east 10-14 million per team. CUSA pay out is 400-500k a team.  These numbers are rough estimates.  I checked several sources and the numbers are a bit different on each source.

It is all about the money and we will be one of the teams on the outside looking in. They need to do revenue sharing in college football but we know the big boys wont do that.

So SMU leaves we no longer play them or the old deal still in play?

I would have to think if SMU plays in a league with that much travel, they will be happy to have opponents where travel is absolutely minimal and opponent fans traveling is a reasonable size.

• Upvote 1

SMU is the guy that drives the BMW.  The guy may not like the BMW  but he thinks everyone else is impressed by it.  Besides being in the same conference with UNT is something that cant happen.  It would be the end of the world for them.  Remember it is these guys we are talking about

image.png.76bb56e0537e960b08b58499889de424.png

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Since SMU and SDSU are leading candidates for the jump they will will get more money leaving the AAC so they will be gone as well.  So this about to get real interesting and not a good way for us. 

If things go the way they're looking, even in a conference that still contains Oregon and Washington, Apple isn't going to just go along with replacing Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, and Utah with SDSU, SMU, Tulane, and Fresno State and keep the same price tag. 

Probably SMU's one and only hope for joining the Pac is for Arizona and no one else to leave, which is looking pretty improbable.

• Upvote 1

So preliminary figures are 20M. That's assuming 5 more don't go. 0 shot it stays even half that once both AZ schools, Utah, Oregon and Washington bolt. Given they all ignorantly stay, the Pac is dead at 20M. They relatively already don't support athletics in donations (NIL included), attendance or eyeballs. They won't have the means to sustain and linger around with even the AAC or Big12, not to even mention the top2. I can't find a scenario where people that have options aren't going to exercise those options as fast as possible. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

I look for a MWC leftovers and AAC left overs to become one league.   The mwc pays out about 4 million a year. The AAC pays about 7 million a year to its teams.

A lot of dominos would have to fall and even then, I don't see it.

The MWC has an exit fee of $34M if teams leave within 12 months, which means those schools can't afford to just bounce to the weakened PAC. A two year wait drops the exit fee to $17M but even then, what school is going to want to commit 8-figures leave a stable league to enter a shaky one that is losing brandname schools left and right? Also the PAC doesn't have the luxury to wait two years because the PAC's GOR TV deal expires at the end of this year and after it's expired, PAC teams are free agents and can walk without paying an exit fee. If Arizona, Arizona State, & Utah bolt for the Big12, the PAC's chances of landing a lucrative TV deal that keeps the league together is zero. Oregon and Washington will wait a year and then walk over to the Big 10 without spending a dime of exit fees. Stanford & Cal most likely go Independent due to their refusal to be associated with MWC schools. The PAC ship is taking on water and the schools are heading towards the life rafts. 

• Upvote 2

Stanford and Cal might be able to survive football as independents, but will need to find a conference for other sports.  Not being in a major conference is going to set recruiting back for all those sports.  

If I were the PAC, I would get a deal done ASAP, and if some schools dont like it then let them leave.  the longer this takes the worse it gets. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, C Rod said:

Also the PAC doesn't have the luxury to wait two years because the PAC's GOR TV deal expires at the end of this year and after it's expired, PAC teams are free agents and can walk without paying an exit fee. If Arizona, Arizona State, & Utah bolt for the Big12, the PAC's chances of landing a lucrative TV deal that keeps the league together is zero. Oregon and Washington will wait a year and then walk over to the Big 10 without spending a dime of exit fees. Stanford & Cal most likely go Independent due to their refusal to be associated with MWC schools. The PAC ship is taking on water and the schools are heading towards the life rafts. 

Earlier this summer the PAC schools had a meeting to agree about wording for signing the new Grant of Rights after/if the new Media Deal is approved.  This was before all the new expansion scenarios. 

I don't see Oregon and Washington signing a GOR now if the deal is a lowball offer and Arizona leaves as well.  They won't handcuff themselves for several years to the PAC when a Big10 offer may happen soon.   Interesting to see if PAC lets them stay without signing their GOR (of course they will let them stay, lol)

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Please elaborate.

I fear if many current PAC schools leave, they will backfill with MWC and AAC which leaves us pretty much where we just came from.  It’s could be reminiscent of our move from the Belt to CUSA. 

Now, if they fill with just MWC, we will still be okay.  Additionally, if they basically stay put with what they have now, we’ll be okay.  I definitely don’t see them standing pat though.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

4 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I fear if many current PAC schools leave, they will backfill with MWC and AAC which leaves us pretty much where we just came from.  It’s could be reminiscent of our move from the Belt to CUSA. 

Now, if the fill with just MWC, we will still be okay.  Additionally, if they basically stay out with what they have now we’ll be okay.  I definitely don’t see them standing pat though.

But the AAC can likewise expand and make offers to MWC programs.   I don't see Aresco just sitting by and watching his conference being plundered.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Now, if the fill with just MWC, we will still be okay.  Additionally, if they basically stay out with what they have now we’ll be okay.  I definitely don’t see them standing pat though.

If they all leave, honestly, I see the PAC folding.  What's the attraction at that point?  SMU would be all by their lonesome.

• Upvote 4

Word on Twitter is that the Big Meeting to share the media deal with the PAC university bigwigs was a bust, and that there is no media deal.  Negotiation as ongoing and there will be something Real Soon Now.

Ya gotta think anyone with a parachute is pulling it now.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TripleGrad said:

Word on Twitter is that the Big Meeting to share the media deal with the PAC university bigwigs was a bust, and that there is no media deal.  Negotiation as ongoing and there will be something Real Soon Now.

Ya gotta think anyone with a parachute is pulling it now.

If that is the truth, then Colorado is the winner for reading the tea leaves before the others did.

• Upvote 1