Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

NTSU 74

7 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I'm not sure we would have any legal standing to sue, or to issue a cease-and-desist against a high school using our name.  Either way, I'd rather we didn't.  Use it as an opportunity to build up goodwill rather than ill-will.

When Notre Dame played in the Sun Bowl, they drove past Cathedral High School, which used basically their logo and Fighting Irish name. Soon afterward, they legally forced Cathedral to change. 
https://kvia.com/news/2011/03/03/notre-dame-forcing-cathedral-high-to-drop-fighting-change-mascot/

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Thanks 1

Sometime after Notre Dame made the school in El Paso quit using the name, they allowed Shamrock High School in Shamrock, Texas to use the name “Fighting Irish”.  I believe it was a case of Shamrock seeking permission rather than presuming it would be OK.

I have no problem with New Deal High School using our name.  It might even seem some extra Tshirts or hats.

• Upvote 1

A buddy of mine is an administrator at a central Texas high school that begins with the letter “M”.  They received a “cease and desist” order from University of Miami Ohio because they were using the same “M” font.  Not even the same color, just the same font.  Seemed very petty to me, but @TripleGradmay be correct.  If you don’t defend it I suppose you could lose it.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, eagle73 said:

Sometime after Notre Dame made the school in El Paso quit using the name, they allowed Shamrock High School in Shamrock, Texas to use the name “Fighting Irish”.  I believe it was a case of Shamrock seeking permission rather than presuming it would be OK.

I have no problem with New Deal High School using our name.  It might even seem some extra Tshirts or hats.

After driving through Shamrock multiple times, Notre Dame probably felt it was no big deal, since the town is really small. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

They gotta stop that. Don't step a foot on that slippery slope. We are the Mean Green and we will always be the only Mean Green. I don't care if it's a tee ball team. Put an end to it. 

The whole reason we started using Mean Green is because that it was unique. 

• Upvote 3

Back in the day when I started the Ice Hockey club team, we were not allowed to use "Mean Green" until we were officially sanctioned by rec sports.  If they're not going to let actual students use the school's nickname, they should crack down on this too. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2023 at 5:49 PM, NT93 said:

A buddy of mine is an administrator at a central Texas high school that begins with the letter “M”.  They received a “cease and desist” order from University of Miami Ohio because they were using the same “M” font.  Not even the same color, just the same font.  Seemed very petty to me, but @TripleGradmay be correct.  If you don’t defend it I suppose you could lose it.

I failed to mention it, but the school I referenced is a small 3A.

• Upvote 1

On 7/29/2023 at 5:46 PM, NT93 said:

I failed to mention it, but the school I referenced is a small 3A.

It's my understanding that if you fail to protect a trademark that you would lose it. I don't think we have a choice except to require schools to cease and desist whether they are Michigan State or E.M. Daggett Junior High

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...