The Football Stadium on Bonnie Brae

UNTLifer

17 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I have longed to see the field named for Odus Mitchell.  I just have zero experience in how to go about making that happen and not enough money to influence anyone. 

Duly noted and same here. I just got carried away. Too many non-famous people who are UNT alums have had great ideas and worked hard for the University and die without any sort of recognition. I watch the Channel 8 news every day, and when they do the weather, they almost always show the indoor facility next to "The Stadium".  And there it is in large letters MEAN GREEN. I often wonder if Sidney Graham will ever get proper credit for giving us our unique moniker. 

Odus Mitchell deserves to have the field named after him.  He goes from being HC @ Marshal HS in the summer of 46 to the NT head coaching job by the beginning of the fall season. And between 46 and 52 he took NT to two bowls and won four conference championships and tied another. AND then presided over the first integration of a D-1 school in Texas. 

There has to be some sort of "12 Mighty Orphans-like" story in there somewhere. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2

On 6/11/2023 at 2:55 PM, bstnsportsfan3 said:

I am still not against selling the naming rights to Stadium. 

Stadium Stadium would at least be unique 🤣

I like the general idea but would go with The Stadium and integrate their logo like we did with Apogee. 

What has not really been mentioned by the AD is how much of a revenue hit the termination of the naming agreement means for the department.  It averaged out around one million a year, but we know that a good part included services to the university.  No idea what the direct benefit to the department was annually, but whatever it was we won't be getting it. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

On 6/11/2023 at 3:38 PM, UNTLifer said:

I have longed to see the field named for Odus Mitchell.  I just have zero experience in how to go about making that happen and not enough money to influence anyone. 

Man if you get any momentum going on this or name anything substantial in honor of coach Mitchell please let me know.  He isn’t properly honored here for being a trailblazer and great coach.  No Abner Hayes or Joe Greene UNT legends without him.  

I would love to see a stadium sponsored by Peterbilt or Acme.   I don’t think Acme has the marketing budget.   But I also think if we start winning and raising our profile they might regret not jumping on this opportunity.   I am a little disappointed our stadium doesn’t feature Acme Brick in unique decorative ways.  And am aerial shot of the Acme brick plant (with finished brick loads sitting out)  scrolling over to Acme Stadium with some kind of iconic brick structure with Mean Green and an eagle logo it on game broadcast would be cool.  

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

On 6/13/2023 at 6:02 PM, Mike Jackson said:

Man if you get any momentum going on this or name anything substantial in honor of coach Mitchell please let me know.  He isn’t properly honored here for being a trailblazer and great coach.

I see no reason to name the stadium after anyone other than the largest bidder.  With all due respect especially not Mitchell as he was a good coach a zillion years ago and has very little relevance today.  Sorry to be so blunt but the last thing we need to do is name a stadium after a coach that was  around before electricity.

Edited by Jonnyeagle
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 2

On 6/14/2023 at 7:57 PM, Jonnyeagle said:

I see no reason to name the stadium after anyone other than the largest bidder.  With all due respect especially not Mitchell as he was a good coach a zillion years ago and has very little relevance today.  Sorry to be so blunt but the last thing we need to do is name a stadium after a coach that was  around before electricity.

What if I am the highest bidder and choose to have Coach Mitchell’s name attached to the stadium/field?  I would prefer the field be named for Odus Mitchell as he paved the way for all races to have the ability to play on the field. Put the big sponsor name on the stadium and call it, for instance, Odus Mitchell Field at Denton Bicycle Center stadium. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 6/17/2023 at 8:59 PM, UNTLifer said:

What if I am the highest bidder and choose to have Coach Mitchell’s name attached to the stadium/field?  I would prefer the field be named for Odus Mitchell as he paved the way for all races to have the ability to play on the field. Put the big sponsor name on the stadium and call it, for instance, Odus Mitchell Field at Denton Bicycle Center stadium. 

It doesn’t have to be a stadium but it definitely needs to be something significant.  I am definitely not opposed Mitchell being in the stadium name however I understand addressing financial need being the primary consideration.  Winningest Mean Green coach by a long shot and a trailblazer.  One of the few things I knew about SMU before going to a UNT vs SMU game was them being one of the first to integrate the SWC (they were actually second but tell the story like they were the first).  Meanwhile Coach Mitchell & UNT Intergrated College Football in the state of Texas 8 years earlier.  The SWC folded 25 years ago.  🤷🏽‍♂️ So honoring Coach Mitchell in a substantial, highly visible and long standing  way beyond just our HOF and ring of honor is just a major oversight.  Also if you dig through our history you will find our program was low key punished for being one the first to do the right thing.   

• Upvote 5