Program Thoughts

UNTLifer

I concur with you @UNTLifer.  Great post.  My only concern is for us to keep all of these players we will have to pony up some serious NIL dough.  The questions becomes what is the amount we have to pay them for them to stay?  With Mardez, I think he was wanting to finish up at Georgia no matter what and the amount required to keep him here would have been astronomical.  So that did not make good business sense for us.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Big Z said:

What I don't understand is why it took forever for Sissoko to get some playing time? 

I could only assume GMac didn't think he was ready and didn't want to toss him into the fire. Martinez got the majority of the minutes when Ousmane was in the bench. Martinez is a senior and has much more experience, all the while they've been working with Sissoko and getting him ready for a bigger role, especially for next year. He still has 2 (maybe 3) years left. 

• Upvote 2

So much to be excited about.  I really wish our fanbase would get better about attendance somehow.  The football argument is always to win and people will come.  While true, that hasnt completely translated to basketball.  Current conference games are typically Thursday and Saturdays.  Thursday nights are big nights for students, and should be reflected in their attendance.  Saturday, alumni have few excuses (apart from matinee tips with kids sports perhaps, but that's really the exception).  I love the Pit so much, but it almost seems like the idea of a new arena may help with the experience of attending the games.  Point is, the boys are doing their part.  We need to do ours. 

• Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

So much to be excited about.  I really wish our fanbase would get better about attendance somehow.  The football argument is always to win and people will come.  While true, that hasnt completely translated to basketball.  Current conference games are typically Thursday and Saturdays.  Thursday nights are big nights for students, and should be reflected in their attendance.  Saturday, alumni have few excuses (apart from matinee tips with kids sports perhaps, but that's really the exception).  I love the Pit so much, but it almost seems like the idea of a new arena may help with the experience of attending the games.  Point is, the boys are doing their part.  We need to do ours. 

I'd have to do research, but I feel like we averaged better in JJ's last couple of seasons.  Now, you'd be hard pressed to find a bigger fan of Coach Jones than me, but what Mac is doing right now eclipsed Jones a couple of years ago when he beat Purdue.  Why we can't be averaging 6K+ with some games at 8 or 9K really perplexes me.  We won a damn game in the Big Dance two years ago.  Many of us wondered if that would ever happen.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

This team is playing the best basketball in our history and has been doing so for several years, but we are struggling to get 3-3.5k people in the stands. We need to re-evaluate how we look at things. So far we've been asking, "why is the fanbase not showing up?" And I think we need to face reality and see that the fanbase for basketball just isn't there. So instead we should be asking, "How do we build up the fanbase?" Those two things may sound like the same thing, but the former implies that the fanbase exists, while the latter says we have work to do in game promotion, student/population engagement, social media engagement, game day atmosphere, etc. 

I think the strongest case that backs up my claim is when the FB team was doing well people were showing up. The LA Tech game was packed, and people were excited. BB has achieved an even higher level, but we aren't seeing people flood to the Pit. 

As for a new arena, like I've been saying it's not a question of if but when. Sports venues in the US don't often go more than 50 years for safety/structural reasons unless you do major renovations. The Pit is sitting at 50 years, it's going to happen whether people want it to or not. 

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Pissed 1

9 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

This team is playing the best basketball in our history and has been doing so for several years, but we are struggling to get 3-3.5k people in the stands. We need to re-evaluate how we look at things. So far we've been asking, "why is the fanbase not showing up?" And I think we need to face reality and see that the fanbase for basketball just isn't there. So instead we should be asking, "How do we build up the fanbase?" Those two things may sound like the same thing, but the former implies that the fanbase exists, while the latter says we have work to do in game promotion, student/population engagement, social media engagement, game day atmosphere, etc. 

I think the strongest case that backs up my claim is when the FB team was doing well people were showing up. The LA Tech game was packed, and people were excited. BB has achieved an even higher level, but we aren't seeing people flood to the Pit. 

As for a new arena, like I've been saying it's not a question of if but when. Sports venues in the US don't often go more than 50 years for safety/structural reasons unless you do major renovations. The Pit is sitting at 50 years, it's going to happen whether people want it to or not. 

I get what you are saying but keep in mind, we are still rebuilding after an absolute debacle with Benford.

Also, the real catalyst that is changing things is the NCAA tourney win over Purdue.  That really should be the starting point for a higher level of support and attendance.

I don't think our problems are any different than the same problems that affect TCU, SMU and heck even Texas and A&M.  With the advent of streaming and ESPN+ people can watch basically every game sitting on their bum eating cheap food and drinking cheap beer.  Is it as good as being there no, but it is pretty close and closer now than at any time in the history of college athletics.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully, the last game against WKU treated 5000 fans with a kick ass experience and showed them just how good this team is. If we can't build on that, then I just don't know what else can be done except do that on a consistent basis.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Dannymacfan said:

I get what you are saying but keep in mind, we are still rebuilding after an absolute debacle with Benford.

Also, the real catalyst that is changing things is the NCAA tourney win over Purdue.  That really should be the starting point for a higher level of support and attendance.

I don't think our problems are any different than the same problems that affect TCU, SMU and heck even Texas and A&M.  With the advent of streaming and ESPN+ people can watch basically every game sitting on their bum eating cheap food and drinking cheap beer.  Is it as good as being there no, but it is pretty close and closer now than at any time in the history of college athletics.

I don't get bringing up Benford, that was 5 seasons ago with continuing success every season. Did it take 5 years of success to rebuild after McCarney? Year 2 of SL had very healthy crowds in the 24-26k range, why? Because there is a fanbase for football.

The NCAA win over Purdue was 2 years ago and had no bearing on attendance. The season after we had 3 home games in a row. The attendance was:

Oklahoma Christian: 3,758

Buffalo: 3,058 

UT Arlington: 3,211

I get covid happened and attendance was down, but our numbers look no different now. We need to face our shortcoming or we'll never improve on them.  

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, CMJ said:

I'd have to do research, but I feel like we averaged better in JJ's last couple of seasons.  Now, you'd be hard pressed to find a bigger fan of Coach Jones than me, but what Mac is doing right now eclipsed Jones a couple of years ago when he beat Purdue.  Why we can't be averaging 6K+ with some games at 8 or 9K really perplexes me.  We won a damn game in the Big Dance two years ago.  Many of us wondered if that would ever happen.

reading between the lines, I have to consider that it might be more about offense than I'm willing to admit.  JJ let the boys play on that side of the court.  Wide open and entertaining

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

8 hours ago, Big Z said:

What I don't understand is why it took forever for Sissoko to get some playing time? 

He has only played basketball for 3-4 years. Grew up playing soccer. Was getting lost on the defensive rotations and was lost on offense so he sat. He's learning and getting better everyday. Works hard in practice. Really bright future. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

I don't get bringing up Benford, that was 5 seasons ago with continuing success every season. Did it take 5 years of success to rebuild after McCarney? Year 2 of SL had very healthy crowds in the 24-26k range, why? Because there is a fanbase for football.

The NCAA win over Purdue was 2 years ago and had no bearing on attendance. The season after we had 3 home games in a row. The attendance was:

Oklahoma Christian: 3,758

Buffalo: 3,058 

UT Arlington: 3,211

I get covid happened and attendance was down, but our numbers look no different now. We need to face our shortcoming or we'll never improve on them.  

52 minutes ago, greenminer said:

reading between the lines, I have to consider that it might be more about offense than I'm willing to admit.  JJ let the boys play on that side of the court.  Wide open and entertaining

These 2 factors play a bigger role than many like to realize. As well as streaming services. Steaming services are uncontrollable. The 2 former points are. Also, 2/3 of CUSA has similar pulling power as the bolded opponents. 

I don't care how the team wins. Just win. I like gritty, defensive minded basketball. It's comparable to the flex in football. It pushes down attendance, sure, but results are the #1 driving factor. As for opponents, the AAC will bolster basketball attendance more than football attendance, imo. So, we should see an organic uptick. 

The athletic department doesn't do enough to captivate their own campus, let alone the community. There is definitely a lot of meat on the bone. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MDH said:

ESPN+ is definitely hitting us hard on attendance

I don't buy that. Anyone who cares enough to find a UNT game on ESPN+ is more than likely finding their way to a couple games every year. I agree with Green Otaku, we just don't have a fanbase for basketball right now.

The best way to change that would be to get buy in from the Denton community, but we all know that's something UNT has never been good at...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The athletic department doesn't do enough to captivate their own campus, let alone the community. There is definitely a lot of meat on the bone. 

25 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I don't buy that. Anyone who cares enough to find a UNT game on ESPN+ is more than likely finding their way to a couple games every year. I agree with Green Otaku, we just don't have a fanbase for basketball right now.

The best way to change that would be to get buy in from the Denton community, but we all know that's something UNT has never been good at...

I think we and those close to Mosley need to push this issue. We need the AD to get serious about marketing and promoting the teams. There is so much in their control they can try to see if they get any boost. Off the top of my head: Denton residents get buy 1 get 1 free on tickets, mail coupons for %off or free item from concessions, make really nice season posters and go around to local businesses and see if they will hang them up, maybe do 1 game a year at the American Airlines center so the Dallas alumni have an easy game to get to, etc. There's just so much they could try, the important thing is to connect to the students, alumni, and the people of Denton. 

• Thanks 1

some people just don't care about going to basketball games.  i haven't missed a home football game in 15ish years.  i go to 1 or 2 basketball games a year.  it just doesn't excite me.  i'll watch every game on tv.  part of the football experience is the all day tailgating.  basketball doesn't have that.  hopefully the team does find more diehard fans, but for some of us, seeing it in person is nothing important.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

The Maniacs is a good start.  Keep that going and as those kids graduate they will become alumni who are more likely to continue coming back as paying customers.  

The fact is that those 5 long years of Benford completely wiped out the chance to turn 5 years of graduates into long-term fans AND it wiped out a good chunk of people who regularly bought season tickets before that time.  There has never been a more demoralizing time in UNT athletics than when Benford took a team getting top 25 votes and IMMEDIATELY turned them into a bottom 25 team.  Then our AD KEPT HIM HERE FIVE YEARS!  I know a LOT of people who just gave up and I can't even get them to come back at all.  Football or basketball. 

When I look at the people in the stands who aren't students, they are mostly all my age (mid-40s) and older.  Extend the discounts for recent graduates to basketball season tickets (only see it available for Football on the site).  We have to build the base back up.  @Green Otakuis right.  We wiped out the base and then lost at least 5 years of converting graduates into fans.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

Personally I have always preferred UNT Basketball to UNT Football...

I think the program is in a good place, recruiting is good, players are developing and constantly improving.  Looking ahead to joining the AAC, its going to be a good basketball conference, and I think we will see a lot of close games.  I think the AAC could end up being a solid 3 bid conference, maybe 4.  

I would like to see a better OOC schedule next season.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, THOR said:

some people just don't care about going to basketball games.  i haven't missed a home football game in 15ish years.  i go to 1 or 2 basketball games a year.  it just doesn't excite me.  i'll watch every game on tv.  part of the football experience is the all day tailgating.  basketball doesn't have that.  hopefully the team does find more diehard fans, but for some of us, seeing it in person is nothing important.

That doesn't explain how JJ's teams were able to draw more consistently.  We're talking about a school with hundreds of thousands of alumni within a drivable distance and a town of well over 100K people...AND a school of over 40K students.  "I don't care about going to basketball games" as the general opinion just doesn't work to explain our lack of attendance during Mac's reign.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

I think we and those close to Mosley need to push this issue. We need the AD to get serious about marketing and promoting the teams. There is so much in their control they can try to see if they get any boost. Off the top of my head: Denton residents get buy 1 get 1 free on tickets, mail coupons for %off or free item from concessions, make really nice season posters and go around to local businesses and see if they will hang them up, maybe do 1 game a year at the American Airlines center so the Dallas alumni have an easy game to get to, etc. There's just so much they could try, the important thing is to connect to the students, alumni, and the people of Denton. 

Agree with these ideas.   

Athletics is not communicating with ALL it's potential fans or past Alums. 

Not everyone is a 20-something that tweets.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

UNT vs. SMU in the AAC would be pretty sweet!  Make it so, Mosely!

• Confused 1