North Texas adds Flower Mound DE Devin Strange as a Walk On

TheReal_jayD

https://247sports.com/Player/Devin-Strange-46097450/

https://www.hudl.com/profile/11805517/Devin-Strange

He has the size to play at this level 6'3 235. First team All-District 6-6A DE. It looks like he was at Argyle Christian in 2020 and then transferred back to Flower Mound Marcus. 

I just watched his highlights. I was impressed with how he fought off blocks and made several tackles. However, there were a few plays where he got tangled up with OL and was kind of slow to react. He will need to probably improve his strength so he can fight off FBS OL. He did seem a little slow coming off the ball. I mean it could be due to the defense that Marcus was running. A lot of the high schools run zone read/RPO plays, so he could have been coached to stay home instead of rushing the QB every play. I see why the coaching staff went after him. After a few years of coaching and bulking up in the weight room, he could be on the rotation in the DL. Size is one thing that you can't coach, and he already has a good frame. I hope he works hard and earns a scholarship. 

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 1

It could well be that the dust hasn't settled on how many scholarships are available.  If he's that good, I predict that the staff will find a scholarship.  Whatever color shirt it is that gives him a scholarship this year but is not counted until next year.  I guess that they still have that.

11 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

It could well be that the dust hasn't settled on how many scholarships are available.  If he's that good, I predict that the staff will find a scholarship.  Whatever color shirt it is that gives him a scholarship this year but is not counted until next year.  I guess that they still have that.

27 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

He has the size to play at this level 6'3 235. First team All-District 6-6A DE. It looks like he was at Argyle Christian in 2020 and then transferred back to Flower Mound Marcus. 

I just watched his highlights. I was impressed with how he fought off blocks and made several tackles. However, there were a few plays where he got tangled up with OL and was kind of slow to react. He will need to probably improve his strength so he can fight off FBS OL. He did seem a little slow coming off the ball. I mean it could be due to the defense that Marcus was running. A lot of the high schools run zone read/RPO plays, so he could have been coached to stay home instead of rushing the QB every play. I see why the coaching staff went after him. After a few years of coaching and bulking up in the weight room, he could be on the rotation in the DL. Size is one thing that you can't coach, and he already has a good frame. I hope he works hard and earns a scholarship. 

If you look at ISU defense they go with big inside linebackers to plug the inside. 240lbs area… he could become one of those types. Can you be a walk on and still get NIL $$?

• Eye Roll 1

15 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

If you look at ISU defense they go with big inside linebackers to plug the inside. 240lbs area… he could become one of those types. Can you be a walk on and still get NIL $$?

Yeah, that is possible. He will need to improve his speed if they use him as a LB. Any player can get NIL $$$. It's their name image and likeness they are making money off of. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, jtm0097 said:

I agree.  Looks like he needs to grow into his body a little bit.  Moves a little awkwardly at times, but that could be due to growth spurts.  I remember my nephew.  Good athlete, he would hit a growth spurt and it was like watching a baby giraffe try to walk, then the next  year he would be fine.

Like his size and potential.  Welcome aboard Devin.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jtm0097 said:

Yeah, that is possible. He will need to improve his speed if they use him as a LB. Any player can get NIL $$$. It's their name image and likeness they are making money off of

As opposed to "Pay-for-Play". The rules are the rules, but we need to start distinguishing it between NIL where a player is rightfully able to market themselves, and PFP where they are being paid to play that sport.

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Can you be a walk on and still get NIL $$?

Here is a walkon article about BYU

https://www.si.com/college/2021/08/12/byu-football-nil-deal-walk-on-tuition-built-bar

Again, this is paying to play. How does this not count against the total number of scholarships allowed? 

• Upvote 6

37 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

As opposed to "Pay-for-Play". The rules are the rules, but we need to start distinguishing it between NIL where a player is rightfully able to market themselves, and PFP where they are being paid to play that sport.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/08/12/byu-football-nil-deal-walk-on-tuition-built-bar

Again, this is paying to play. How does this not count against the total number of scholarships allowed? 

This is very scary for G5’s!

• Upvote 1

Hmm. I tend to agree with dmaxel about something being off. Maybe it's just me, but in his Marcus HS highlight video, it looks like he's kind' of going through the motions rather than going at it full-speed-hell-bent-for-leather. A step or so faster and a little quicker, and I would feel much better about this player. 

On the upside, he looks bigger than 235 to me.

2 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Hmm. I tend to agree with dmaxel about something being off. Maybe it's just me, but in his Marcus HS highlight video, it looks like he's kind' of going through the motions rather than going at it full-speed-hell-bent-for-leather. A step or so faster and a little quicker, and I would feel much better about this player. 

On the upside, he looks bigger than 235 to me.

In the NIL era this is a type of player you have to take a chance on and hope he develops. 

1 minute ago, Glory to the Green said:

What chance are the coaches taking? Isn’t he a walk on? He’s paying his own way to try out for the team, right?  I’m not really understanding the nit picking?

Typically players who walk on are not noticed until they work their way into actual playing time and are on the verge of getting a "ship".  This situation seems to be the opposite.... publicity wise.

56 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Man this is weird and dicey. What stops a huge program from getting recruits they like but don't have room for an NIL deal to cover tuition and extra. Could they pay them to be on campus for a year while they work on their bodies without having them on the team then get them on the program the following year, effectively delaying their eligibility clock from starting until their second year? Now they've got 4 years of eligibility plus a redshirt because they weren't on the program yet? Where's the line?