Disparity at La Tech

brooks91

On 2/4/2022 at 11:25 AM, untjim1995 said:

Can’t argue that.

We are the only FBS/FCS school that I’m aware that just flat out won’t even consider athletics to be the main window to the university. Won’t do it…whereas La Tech, a very proud program within a pissant university and region, puts all their pride into their sports.

I will be ready for all the negatives you can post and downvotes you want to give, but I don’t care about music or arts. I don’t watch the Green Brigade march because I don’t care. I only care about them playing music during the game, like the Fight Song and Alma Mater and whatever fanfare they play. Don’t care at all about anything else. Never have. Here’s the thing, I know I’m in the vast minority of UNT fans on this, but I also know that I’m in the vast majority of college football fans. Music and arts don’t draw eyeballs or dollars that equate to any measurable rate as compared to football and basketball. Misplaced values? Probably. Misplaced interest in North Texas? From a financial standpoint and a pride standpoint, there’s no argument—like none. 

Selling a University on its academics and not sports? Oh the humanity! 😱

• Haha 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

On 2/4/2022 at 10:27 PM, PlummMeanGreen said:

She is so hot albeit a tad (extremely) way  left of center.  She also needs to clean up her vocabulary, but I still think she is hot.  That’s all. 🤫 

SUMG, did you ever meet her during your comedy career years? 

A Take this Waltz fan I see.

• Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

7 hours ago, Udomann said:

I think I'm missing the backstory on this... But interested in the context

Many colleges in the 1950-60's had a "President's house" on campus or near campus.   It was probably on our campus until about 1990?  You can see it here in the distance from Fouts.  It was where the Gateway Center is now.

image.png.7baaf43073a4fecba2d4249e43737c82.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

Many colleges in the 1950-60's had a "President's house" on campus or near campus.   It was probably on our campus until about 1990?  You can see it here in the distance from Fouts.  It was where the Gateway Center is now.

Jitter Nolen was the last president to live in the house but he then moved to his own home and turned it into a reception center or something like that. It was very well decorated as you would imagine.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Jitter Nolen was the last president to live in the house but he then moved to his own home and turned it into a reception center or something like that. It was very well decorated as you would imagine.

Calvin Cleave 'Jitter' Nolen: NTSU President 1971-1979
...presided over the last two seasons of Rod Rust ('67-'73), and the entirety of Hayden Fry's NTSU coaching tenure ('73-'79)

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

Back to La Tech.  La Tech had most of their athletic facilities destroyed by storms.  So most of their buildings were replaced.

Doesn't change the athletic arms race stupidity, but explains why La Tech has new facilities. 

I would imagine that they had to add to the insurance or state assistance for the extra locker room glamor.    

7 hours ago, texx2818 said:

I’ll take my downvotes but you’re definitely an alum of the wrong school. One of the things that was quite appealing to me about UNT was the low-key school spirit when I came here 12 years ago. I can only assume many others feel that way.

UNT will never be a massive sports school. It will always be a off-kilter weird liberal-arts-school-hiding-as-a-public-school. The last 100 years are proof.

I am a fan of our athletic programs, but I also pay attention.

Thank you for this. An honest reply that goes straight to the heart of being an alum of UNT. I appreciate it. And I clearly recognize that it’s my view of being in the minority here—by a lot. And if it wasn’t for the website, I’d have probably walked away from UNT completely, but this community on here makes me enjoy staying connected. It’s a great fan website (except for the voting function) and it helps me to see things clearer. With two teenage boys that love college sports, my heart is already starting to enjoy the schools they root for, too. I’m sure I’ll convert to a t-shirt fan of some other place and join the 98% of UNT alumni who don’t care about our teams when the boys go off to school in a few years. 

I am a first generation college grad. I always wanted to be able to enjoy sports here like my friends that went to A&M, UT, Tech, Baylor, and TCU. But your point above resonates with me very clearly and it does make me think about why I wanted something from a school that is geared completely to your viewpoint you listed above.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, NT80 said:

i believe it was demolished in 96.  i remember setting up on the front lawn (green brigade) of that house before a game that year.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, texx2818 said:

I’ll take my downvotes but you’re definitely an alum of the wrong school. One of the things that was quite appealing to me about UNT was the low-key school spirit when I came here 12 years ago. I can only assume many others feel that way.

UNT will never be a massive sports school. It will always be a off-kilter weird liberal-arts-school-hiding-as-a-public-school. The last 100 years are proof.

Looks can be deceiving.  Since you have only been around NT 12 years, there is a lot of school and athletic history behind you.  True, the vast majority of years NT has been a teacher's school, great music school, the arts, but also a great accounting/business school, and more recently has a research park, engineering and more science.   Liberal Arts and Ed majors don't normally make the huge salaries, thus large donors to NT have always been few compared to other schools with Law, Engineering, Science, etc type programs.

Athletics, while still not on a P-5 level, has been on a steady climb since the return to 1-A (FBS) level in 1995.  In the 50-60's we played many now P-5 level schools regularly: Ark, TT, Ok St, Houston, several SEC schools.  What was our peer schools like SFA, ULM, ULL, Sam Houston, West Texas, Texas St., Ark St, et al are now a level down, as soon will be La Tech, UTEP, and USM.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

7 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Athletics, while still not on a P-5 level, has been on a steady climb since the return to 1-A (FBS) level in 1995.  In the 50-60's we played many now P-5 level schools regularly: Ark, TT, Ok St, Houston, several SEC schools.  What was our peer schools like SFA, ULM, ULL, Sam Houston, West Texas, Texas St., Ark St, et al are now a level down, as soon will be La Tech, UTEP, and USM.  

This is exactly right although I worry sometime our fans don't understand the magnitude of being invited to the AAC.

There were a LOT of schools that wanted that opportunity and we were very fortunate to be a part. 

I see some say, well it's not a great conference anymore because Houston and Cincy left etc.  Do they not know that Houston and Cincy needed a conference to build themselves up in?  The AAC offers that in a big way.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

16 hours ago, texx2818 said:

Not 100% sure but I think our business and engineering schools are much larger than any liberal arts school we have on campus. 
UNT is weird because the whole freaking city of Denton is weird and when I say weird, I mean plain apathetic to everything. It has the laziest citizens in the state, they don't support anything. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

21 hours ago, MeanGreenPatriot said:

UNT is weird because the whole freaking city of Denton is weird and when I say weird, I mean plain apathetic to everything. It has the laziest citizens in the state, they don't support anything. 

21 hours ago, texx2818 said:

We are weird, apathetic and lazy. And that’s why it’s a fantastic place to live.

I have no idea what either of you are talking about and don't think either point here properly captures Denton at all. Could you all elaborate with real, recent examples for each of your takes?

Edited by Quoner
My bad - meant to quote two different people
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • Downvote 2

20 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

That surprised me.  Your old avatar with the open air cowboy boots and your love of the outdoors made me think of you as an Austin sort of free spirited type of guy.

Love the Austin area, being outside, etc... but not a fan of Austin as a city.  Well, I like the city and the things to do, but I am a little too conservative for Austin.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1