I knew this could potentially happen...

Harry

First, I don't see SL leaving us for SMU. If he waits a year or two he will get a P5 offer. 

Secondly, I'm not sure about Morris going to Tennessee. Yes, Tennessee has become very desperate as coaches are now saying "no," which is a little crazy for a SEC job. But some of the same sources of Tennessee looking at Morris also said Tennessee was looking at Kevin Steele - the guy who I don't think ever won a Big XII game at Baylor. I looked on PonyFans as they are closer to the Morris situation and they are quoting someone at SI tweeting that Morris is NOT interviewing today at Tennessee.  

Y'all are crazy if you think (if Morris actually leaves) Littrell would not be interested in the SMU job.    

Better conference, more money, more exposure, players he would need are already there, etc...

This is the same Littrell that left Indiana for UNC as an O.C.  A move most would consider lateral at the time (Indiana went 5-7, while UNC went 6-6 in 2013).

Also,  I don't understand the argument that, "if he stays here, he'll get a P5 offer in <x> years"... like SMU would not provide the same opportunity?

Wren would really need to crank up the dollar amount to keep Seth around if the SMU job opened up.  I hope he would stay here as well, but if these dominoes fall, I would not be surprised to see Littrell jump.

I just don't think any P5 school is going to go for a coach with a 14-22 record at SMU... so I don't think the SMU job comes open.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Y'all are crazy if you think (if Morris actually leaves) Littrell would not be interested in the SMU job.    

Better conference, more money, more exposure, players he would need are already there, etc...

This is the same Littrell that left Indiana for UNC as an O.C.  A move most would consider lateral at the time (Indiana went 5-7, while UNC went 6-6 in 2013).

Also,  I don't understand the argument that, "if he stays here, he'll get a P5 offer in <x> years"... like SMU would not provide the same opportunity?

Wren would really need to crank up the dollar amount to keep Seth around if the SMU job opened up.  I hope he would stay here as well, but if these dominoes fall, I would not be surprised to see Littrell jump.

I just don't think any P5 school is going to go for a coach with a 14-22 record at SMU... so I don't think the SMU job comes open.

Sometimes "fit" does come into play. 

Also, he'd be rewinding his "big time offer" clock for at least a couple more years. People would want to see what he could do in the AAC and at SMU if he took that job. He knows he has something brewing here and there is no reason to set that clock back. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

Sometimes "fit" does come into play. 

Also, he'd be rewinding his "big time offer" clock for at least a couple more years. People would want to see what he could do in the AAC and at SMU if he took that job. He knows he has something brewing here and there is no reason to set that clock back. 

A good coach believes he can win anywhere.    He had to believe that in order to take our job!  I have no doubt Littrell would keep SMU's momentum going.

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

A good coach believes he can win anywhere.    He had to believe that in order to take our job!  I have no doubt Littrell would keep SMU's momentum going.

It's not about what I believe, you believe or Littrell believes. It's about what administrators at the "big time" programs would want to see and then what they are led to believe. It doesn't make sense to make that move. 0 sense. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

It's not about what I believe, you believe or Littrell believes. It's about what administrators at the "big time" programs would want to see and then what they are led to believe. It doesn't make sense to make that move. 0 sense. 

I get where you're coming from.  We have a good thing going here.  We desperately want to see it continue.  And we certainly don't want to see that good thing walk away, going down the road to the Hilltop of all places.

But if Littrell had the same kind of success in a 2-year span at SMU as he's had here, the "big time" programs would certainly take notice... because the AAC gets more exposure, nationally. 
The groundwork is already set at SMU for him to be successful there immediately.  Credit Morris for bringing in a lot of talent.

It's all moot anyway since no P5 team is going to take a run at Morris right now with his cumulative losing record.   

I bet Littrell & Morris both start getting P5 sniffs after next season.  If Littrell can finally beat Morris next year (I bet he will), he may likely leapfrog Morris in the pecking order.

• Lovely Take 2

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

I get where you're coming from.  We have a good thing going here.  We desperately want to see it continue.  And we certainly don't want to see that good thing walk away, going down the road to the Hilltop of all places.

But if Littrell had the same kind of success in a 2-year span at SMU as he's had here, the "big time" programs would certainly take notice... because the AAC gets more exposure, nationally. 
The groundwork is already set at SMU for him to be successful there immediately.  Credit Morris for bringing in a lot of talent.

It's all moot anyway since no P5 team is going to take a run at Morris right now with his cumulative losing record.   

I bet Littrell & Morris both start getting P5 sniffs after next season.  If Littrell can finally beat Morris next year (I bet he will), he may likely leapfrog Morris in the pecking order.

It's not really wanting it to continue out of desperation.

Let me put it like this...Let's take what you do for a living, whatever it may be...You are starting to get bigger employers with a much bigger salary attachment take interest in you because of your hard work and results. You know they are kind of interested but they don't want to quite pull the trigger yet because they want to see what you are currently working on blossom and come to full fruition. A smaller company, maybe even equal to where you're currently at knocks on your door. They say, "Hey MeanGreenTexan, we like what you have been doing and we want you to come work with us. You will make a little more money." The bigger company takes notice of you walking away from a good situation and into a little better financial situation, but they kind of lose that direct interest they currently had due to them wanting to see you repaint a picture of hard work and results for them at a new place of employment. So, they watch you do your thing for another 3-4 years. 

• Upvote 1

Morris met with Tennessee and interviewed last night... 

51 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm confused as to why (besides money) a coach would leave a program they are improving and making great results. For legacy sake, wouldn't it be better to bring a program from the ground up to a national competitor? Instead of just improving a program a bit and then jumping ship to an already successful program I think it's better to stick with it and make something great.

39 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

It's not really wanting it to continue out of desperation.

Let me put it like this...Let's take what you do for a living, whatever it may be...You are starting to get bigger employers with a much bigger salary attachment take interest in you because of your hard work and results. You know they are kind of interested but they don't want to quite pull the trigger yet because they want to see what you are currently working on blossom and come to full fruition. A smaller company, maybe even equal to where you're currently at knocks on your door. They say, "Hey MeanGreenTexan, we like what you have been doing and we want you to come work with us. You will make a little more money." The bigger company takes notice of you walking away from a good situation and into a little better financial situation, but they kind of lose that direct interest they currently had due to them wanting to see you repaint a picture of hard work and results for them at a new place of employment. So, they watch you do your thing for another 3-4 years. 

If I'm confident in my abilities, I'll take that job paying more... don't forget, that job comes with more exposure across the nation... continue to do what I do (build a winner) with the already-stocked pantry, and parlay that success into more than just however many "bigger employers" were looking at me before.

Again, it's not going to happen this year, but I would not be surprised to see Littrell leave in that hypothetical.

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If I'm confident in my abilities, I'll take that job paying more... don't forget, that job comes with more exposure across the nation... continue to do what I do (build a winner) with the already-stocked pantry, and parlay that success into more than just however many "bigger employers" were looking at me before.

Again, it's not going to happen this year, but I would not be surprised to see Littrell leave in that hypothetical.

Then you're gambling on yourself. Chad Morris is a decent coach with good recruits. He's 7-5 in what was supposed to be their breakout year. A lot of these players, players that beat UNT basically by themselves, won't be there after this year. You know what you have returning at UNT. It's a egomanic gamble to take that. The risk/reward doesn't add up and to me is why it doesn't make sense. Littrell could see himself have 2 more 8 to10 win seasons here at UNT and then potentially be the pick of the litter for openings going into the 2020 season with a fat 25 million dollar contract spread over 5 to 6 years. 

• Lovely Take 2