DRC: Echols-Luper transferring, has interest in UNT

Brett Vito

A lot depends on his attitude.  If he acknowledges he screwed up & sincerely wants to get his act together then give him the chance.  Everyone of us has been given a second chance at one point or other in our lives, he shouldn't be any different.

• Upvote 1

CEL is an interesting project.  He goes to a BIG 12 school with plenty of other offers.  He gets plenty of playing time as a freshman and is named honorable mention in the B12.  For some reason, transfers to AState and does well and is slated to graduate.  And, not only graduate but to graduate early and still have a 4th year to play.  This guy is not your run of the mill troubled kid.

I'm usually the first to stay away from potential troubled kids, but if he comes to North Texas with a degree in hand, I'd like to see him on Saturdays.  On a very short leash.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Travis said:

Weed? We would pass on him because of weed??  Something that should be legal anyhow.

You're probably right that weed should be legal.  That, however, isn't the point.  The kid broke the law.  Someone in his position should religiously follow the law - for his own best interest and for the interest of his team.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

30 minutes ago, GTWT said:

You're probably right that weed should be legal.  That, however, isn't the point.  The kid broke the law.  Someone in his position should religiously follow the law - for his own best interest and for the interest of his team.

4 hours ago, Travis said:

Weed? We would pass on him because of weed??  Something that should be legal anyhow.

There would be a massive turnover in players nationwide if everyone was banned who had partaken.  Now there is a question of degree involved, and he maybe more than a casual user.  However, definitely deserves a look.  

6 hours ago, greenjoe said:

CEL is an interesting project.  He goes to a BIG 12 school with plenty of other offers.  He gets plenty of playing time as a freshman and is named honorable mention in the B12.  For some reason, transfers to AState and does well and is slated to graduate.  And, not only graduate but to graduate early and still have a 4th year to play.  This guy is not your run of the mill troubled kid.

I'm usually the first to stay away from potential troubled kids, but if he comes to North Texas with a degree in hand, I'd like to see him on Saturdays.  On a very short leash.

GO MEAN GREEN

I am with you there Joe.

Do do they do random drug tests in these programs like they do in private business?

18 hours ago, GMG24 said:

As far as I've read he had one traffic stop where they found weed parafanalia and open warrants.  My guess unpaid speeding tickets.  Anyway if you want to win, you're going to have some borderline guys.  This guy as far as I can tell isn't a gun toting felon, I'm good with giving it a shot as a walk on.  Just my opinion, but you aren't going to find a bunch of kids who can play ball who don't have their issues whether we know about them or not.  It is what it is.  You get them here and try to continue building their character while winning games.  

Are you saying that all decent players in football are kids with problems and that you can't win without "problems" on your team?

Since when is it part of a scholarship program to take known "problems" just so you can try to mold their character?

I get the molding character part of coaching and I think it is a really good and honorable thing to do, but to try to "resurrect" a player with known challenges is "above and beyond" for me and would seem to take coaching energy away from a lot of other kids to monitor closely a known problem.

Choices...people make choices. Problem is that we allow athletes to get chance after chance after chance which does more to perpetuate the problems than fix them in my book.

Anyway, I always appreciate an actual coaches perspective. So, thanks for jumping in here. I do realize you know much more about this stuff than I do. Just hope a program does not have to take these kids to win. I hold out hope that there are plenty of "Mason Fine" good kids out there who can also play.  Maybe not, but I hold out that hope.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, Danish43 said:

I am with you there Joe.

Do do they do random drug tests in these programs like they do in private business?

"Random" :) usually the walk ons.. least that's how they did my buddies who played at SOSU and Tarleton state. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, GTWT said:

The point is that it is a terrible law.  breaking a bad law that was ill made shouldn't have these kind of consequences.

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 11

6 hours ago, GTWT said:

Come on man.. that maybe a noble stance but it's a naive one. I would put everything I own to say 75% of every team has at least occasional smoking of weed. It's not such an earth shattering thing to shun him especially if he has talent. If you take your stance you better not ever go over the speed limit because that's breaking the law. Let's be real.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

12 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Come on man.. that maybe a noble stance but it's a naive one. I would put everything I own to say 75% of every team has at least occasional smoking of weed. It's not such an earth shattering thing to shun him especially if he has talent. If you take your stance you better not ever go over the speed limit because that's breaking the law. Let's be real.

Yes, he has talent.  But if he's going to embarrass your program you don't want him.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Because those two laws are so similar.  Somebody mentioned it is a bad law.  Is it?  Folks in Colorado may disagree.

In 2014 and 2015, nearly $6 million in pot revenues have been distributed to local governments. But the cost of increased law enforcement, drugged-driving incidents, fatal crashes, loss of productivity and a huge spike in gang-related crime bring into question the cost-benefit of those dollars.

Teen drug-related school expulsions are also on the rise. And the notion that prisons filled with minor drug offenders would be relieved of overcrowding—a selling point of legalizing marijuana—has been blown to smithereens.

Denver’s homeless population has exploded since Amendment 64 went into effect. And there are indications that finite tourist dollars are going more to pot and less to Colorado’s iconic natural wonders.

http://www.newsweek.com/unexpected-side-effects-legalizing-weed-339931

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

27 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Because those two laws are so similar.  Somebody mentioned it is a bad law.  Is it?  Folks in Colorado may disagree.

In 2014 and 2015, nearly $6 million in pot revenues have been distributed to local governments. But the cost of increased law enforcement, drugged-driving incidents, fatal crashes, loss of productivity and a huge spike in gang-related crime bring into question the cost-benefit of those dollars.

Teen drug-related school expulsions are also on the rise. And the notion that prisons filled with minor drug offenders would be relieved of overcrowding—a selling point of legalizing marijuana—has been blown to smithereens.

Denver’s homeless population has exploded since Amendment 64 went into effect. And there are indications that finite tourist dollars are going more to pot and less to Colorado’s iconic natural wonders.

Are those law so different? If we want to get to the science and evidence based speeding would be more deadly. You point out Colorado but what about the hand full of other states that legalize it every year. I don't partake personally but it's 2017. Stop looking at it as if they are doing cocaine, heroine, steroids, drinking and driving, I could go on. Even so, if kid shows remorse and has talent why not take him on for 4 months??? This isn't the boy scouts and we certainly have no right to be picky on talent. From the info I've read he may be immature but not a bad kid. It's pretty amazing how we are so quick to back our short comings in recruiting but when an opportunity comes about we shoot it down. Kids become available for a reason and we always have to weigh the pros and cons. To me the pros heavily out weigh the cons, especially if he's a walk-on.

Edited by p_phelps
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

That's an opinion piece. I could post a link that shows opposite "facts." https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/10/13/heres-how-legal-pot-changed-colorado-and-washington/?utm_term=.8e520b2b10ae

I could care less, I don't smoke the wacky tobacky. But the links she uses don't even back up her statements. In the link about school expulsions it says violent crime is down which contradicts her previous statement. 

It took me five seconds to find this poll of the people in Colorado not having buyer's remorse-http://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/20/legalize-marijuana-poll/

Good grief, a comment about a WR we don't even have interests in turns in to a debate using bs facts about pot. #Merica. 

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, meanrob said:

It took me five seconds to find this poll of the people in Colorado not having buyer's remorse-http://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/20/legalize-marijuana-poll/

A poll done by The Cannabist?  I'm sure there's no agenda driving their methodology or reporting.

I could be mistaken, but isn't this kind of discussion verboten outside the Pie forum? 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

A poll done by The Cannabist?  I'm sure there's no agenda driving their methodology or reporting.

I could be mistaken, but isn't this kind of discussion verboten outside the Pie forum? 

I wasn't trying to say that poll was valid, just that it doesn't take long to find an opposing viewpoint. Or a link to give credence to one's own opinion. I probably should've have made that more clear. 

And no, you aren't mistaken. 

Fifty plus days til kickoff. 

• Upvote 3