Baker vows to elevate program at caravan stop

8 minutes ago, drex said:

First bowl appearance since 2004?  What about the UNT vs.UNLV bowl game?

From the article:

The Mean Green played in only their second bowl game since the 2004 season last fall when they fell to Army 38-31 in overtime in the Heart of Dallas Bowl.

We've only played in two bowl games since 2004 -- 2013 and 2016.

• Upvote 1

Brett, your job is not to write everything in a negative light. You could have just as easily worded your constant backhanded comments like, "Seth Littrell in his first year led UNT to their second bowl game in the last 4 years." But you constantly want to debunk UNT or invalidate UNT in one way or another. I think you actually either enjoy writing in that tone, or you hate your life and that is your general rhetoric on all things. I'm still trying to figure it out. 

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 19

Guys, you have to look at what Vito has to work with:  he's the beat writer for North Texas!  We've all sat through some poor athletic performances for a couple of decades now.  I mean, how would you approach the job, having to sit through what you know will usually be subpar football and basketball?  Then, after 20 years, how do you think your approach would change/be?

To me, although we don't agree on everything, he does the best with what he's given to work with.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

I don't think we all understand that Brett has to write an article assuming that the reader knows nothing about the context surrounding the situation. Just because we all know what is going on doesn't mean that he has to write for only us. You can argue that the people reading the story already know, but he just can't write under that assumption. It's the same reason that he has the signing day date in each article about a recruit.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Guys, you have to look at what Vito has to work with:  he's the beat writer for North Texas!  We've all sat through some poor athletic performances for a couple of decades now.  I mean, how would you approach the job, having to sit through what you know will usually be subpar football and basketball?  Then, after 20 years, how do you think your approach would change/be?

To me, although we don't agree on everything, he does the best with what he's given to work with.

Not to mention that the older population in Denton that actually read this paper aren't exactly known for being real supportive of UNT Sports...I know, I used to work there. Back in the 90s, when we moved up to I-A, it was a regular occurrence to have citizens write letters to the editors complaining about the amount of money being spent on something that few in town cared about. And, although not as common, we had the walk-ins that hated the editorials/coverage on UNT football becoming bigger than it had been, so they came and complained loudly in person.

Those people are older or are dead, but that mindset for the citizenry is still there in Denton. The DRC--and by extension, BV--are just putting out there what the subscribers want to read. Actually, all papers are pretty much that way now.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

So what's going to become of the current soccer "stadium" when the new venue is complete?

I thought the soccer stadium was staying.  This new facility would be for soccer offices, training, practice, etc.  

19 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Brett, your job is not to write everything in a negative light. You could have just as easily worded your constant backhanded comments like, "Seth Littrell in his first year led UNT to their second bowl game in the last 4 years." But you constantly want to debunk UNT or invalidate UNT in one way or another. I think you actually either enjoy writing in that tone, or you hate your life and that is your general rhetoric on all things. I'm still trying to figure it out. 

Down vote Ben's post all you want but it doesn't make him wrong.  Vito seems to always find the most negative way to phrase things.  

13 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

At his point, NT is lucky to have any beat writer covering the program.  Newspapers are in a death spiral with next to no hope of pulling out.   Having said that Vito has always been a half empty guy.   He is a solid sports writer but has always in my view lacked a passion for the program he is covering except pointing out how bad Dodge was.  

I am not talking about being a homer either, although a lot of beat writers turn into that.  Just report like whatever you are covering matters.

As far as adding old data to an article.  Sure if it is appears in the newspaper, some level of background is justified.  However, on-line articles need very little background, if a reader wants more information; a few clicks and they can have it.   

"Half empty" may be the best description I've heard about Vito.  Yes, we are lucky to still have a beat writer but Vito is not a very good writer.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 9

6 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

So what's going to become of the current soccer "stadium" when the new venue is complete?

I asked Coach Hedlund that at the Plano Caravan stop.  He said it will become the soccer practice field.  We shall see, but that is what Coach Hedlund said...right from the source I guess.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I thought the soccer stadium was staying.  This new facility would be for soccer offices, training, practice, etc.  

Nope.  The new facility has the new track going around the new soccer field.   Players need to be careful on corner kicks.  Based on the diagrams, their kick approach will be on the track surface.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Not to mention that the older population in Denton that actually read this paper aren't exactly known for being real supportive of UNT Sports...I know, I used to work there. Back in the 90s, when we moved up to I-A, it was a regular occurrence to have citizens write letters to the editors complaining about the amount of money being spent on something that few in town cared about. And, although not as common, we had the walk-ins that hated the editorials/coverage on UNT football becoming bigger than it had been, so they came and complained loudly in person.

Those people are older or are dead, but that mindset for the citizenry is still there in Denton. The DRC--and by extension, BV--are just putting out there what the subscribers want to read. Actually, all papers are pretty much that way now.

Exactly.  Was discussing this with neighbors over the weekend as local elections were held.  We lamented the corruption at the local level that is no longer investigated because there are no longer real local papers - and, by real we meant willing to dig in and actually print something bad about the local government if need be. 

Some free rag gets thrown in every yard in Frisco on Friday mornings.  But, it's just a collection rah-rah, patting-ourselves-on-the-back stories.  I take mine out back and chunk it in the trash without opening it. 

Brett has what he has to work with.  Denton is an eclectic town, UNT is an eclectic school.  Both have, in fits and starts - and, only sometimes congruently - supported UNT athletics.

I'd like to hear from the NTSU era posters:  What was the coverage like back then?  Was the community support higher, lower, or about the same? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

A700 are you talking about Fouts field?

Nope, I meant the Mean Green Soccer Stadium by Lovelace.

8 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

I asked Coach Hedlund that at the Plano Caravan stop.  He said it will become the soccer practice field.  We shall see, but that is what Coach Hedlund said...right from the source I guess.

Thank you!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Yes, we are lucky to still have a beat writer but Vito is not a very good writer.  

I'll disagree with this. Brett does a pretty darn good job, his deep seated hate for Dodge not withstanding.

Not related to your post 95, but :

"Police are investigating allegations of organized criminal activity, promotion of prostitution and drug use among former members of the men's basketball program before McCasland's arrival."

Gee, it's a good thing WB left Benford in place or our guys would have really gotten into trouble!

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2