MGB: UNT targeting former OU lineman for assistant job

Brett Vito

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This would not make sense with the hints @TheReal_jayD has been dropping as Mr. Langston's career trajectory appears to be going down instead of up... and he's not young.

And he apparently carries some baggage:
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2007-11-14-2074182515_x.htm

i said i knew 2 of the finalists. and they fit that category.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I hope very much that this is a bad tip Vito got and that the 2 @TheReal_jayD knows of are the real targets.

Edit: After a second look, I HATE this hire, if he is indeed the top candidate.

i am hearing Vito is right. Seth really likes him! Likes him for his teaching ability, he has HC experience and will help in recruiting. He was a top target last year as well when davis was hired

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

i am hearing Vito is right. Seth really likes him! Likes him for his teaching ability, he has HC experience and will help in recruiting. He was a top target last year as well when davis was hired

He definitely has the right coaching attributes. Give the man a clean start to coach "clean"...put a scarlet letter on his hat and watch him.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I hope very much that this is a bad tip Vito got and that the 2 @TheReal_jayD knows of are the real targets.

Edit: After a second look, I HATE this hire, if he is indeed the top candidate.

Why? He has similar credentials? Top FCS O-line, high school, OC, HC experience. Makes a lot of sense

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, MGNation92 said:

Why? He has similar credentials? Top FCS O-line, high school, OC, HC experience. Makes a lot of sense

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

18 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I think people are worried because he isn't from a bigger school.. Like Hays from Tech, or Adkins from OKState... But we need to remember the OL is a place that we need someone who can coach and develop the OL on the team... We brought in 6 OL recruits... and our OL Coach better be able to coach up and develop the 5 Freshman, along with continue the development of the ones that remain.

Also, not sure about this but maybe the likes of Hays or some bigger name coaches would have been another 1 and done, or possibly with this guy have the negative mark by his name makes him come in at a slightly cheaper price... But if this guy can come in develop even 1 or 2 of these guys into All C-USA players that would be a great help for this offense.

We have to remember the former Cinny, now LB Coach is viewed as a good/great recruiter. OL is a spot that you need someone who makes this $ coaching, not recruiting... If SL supports this guy, and he was a front runner with Davis, I'm good with it...

But the questions that we should be asking is... Do the Coordinators have a say(if so how much, if any) in who we bring in for these spots?

• Upvote 2

If he can improve our O-line play, the I'm all for it. I think Littrell has proved he has the ability to evaluate quality coaches. The only reason we are even filling this job is because Seth's last O-line coach was hired away by a P5.

I'm more concerned about his inability to sign more highly regarded football players. I think that is where our fan base needs to keep the microscope.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

If he can improve our O-line play, the I'm all for it. I think Littrell has proved he has the ability to evaluate quality coaches. The only reason we are even filling this job is because Seth's last O-line coach was hired away by a P5.

I'm more concerned about his inability to sign more highly regarded football players. I think that is where our fan base needs to keep the microscope.

While I do agree about signing better/ higher regarded players, we have to remember most kids are usually 3* kids... and P5 programs stack pile up depth along the OL. Bama has had years they turn out 2 or 3 1st round picks, and the next year they are replacing them with kids as talented... what we have to be doing is finding kids that we can develop into all conference players...

A good example is WKU, they picked up a kid in 2013 named Lamp.. he just graduated and is going be picked in the draft, he was an All C-USA LT. When he signed out of HS he was a 2* that graded out as a .7000 players.. Kids that are 270-280+ that are mobile are most likely going to end up at P5 schools.. Look at Parish, the kid that we landed. The kid played at 230 but has great feet and long arms, heck when he is playing he running around arms and legs just swinging around because the kid hasn't grown into his body yet... UNT till it becomes a bigger fish, has to find kids with traits that can be developed. Parish has around said he has put on 30-40 lbs, and in his NSD pics we can't even tell. Finding kids with great feet should be the priority, with it being on the strength coaches to get his weight up. Not to pile on, but on the podcast ashton talked about the OG from Trinity Moses, that if he had been 6'2 or 6'3 he would have been at a p5, but with him being 6'0/6'1 he is at UNT. (Sorry for the rant, but OL is stacked for a year or so now somewhat we need someone to develop them, and once we do we will be able to recruit more)

http://247sports.com/player/forrest-lamp-13086

http://247sports.com/player/brian-parish-91848

• Upvote 1

I am not sure whether I like the hire or not. I guess I don't love it, but I can't quite muster Cr1028s hate for it. I honestly don't believe in always hiring from the big schools, and I'd rather have someone with HC experience at DII and Texas high schools than a GA from a P5.  Frankly if it weren't for the NCAA issues 10 years ago, I'd be quite all right with it. Then again: if I look at the allegations, I am not sure what to think. It includes a few things that really shouldn't be done according to NCAA rules, but mostly things that have you wonder whether NCAA rules are also morally correct. The lying about it is bad though. That said: can he recruit without getting into trouble? I mean he has the HS connection, but I doubt anyone really knows if that translates to FBS recruits for him. I guess he is a promising candidate who may deserve a second chance, but he does need monitoring on the recruiting trail.

Another thing that kind of worries me, if Seth too loyal to his Oklahoma ties? I think this guy was a GA when Seth played.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, outoftown said:

I am not sure whether I like the hire or not. I guess I don't love it, but I can't quite muster Cr1028s hate for it. I honestly don't believe in always hiring from the big schools, and I'd rather have someone with HC experience at DII and Texas high schools than a GA from a P5.  Frankly if it weren't for the NCAA issues 10 years ago, I'd be quite all right with it. Then again: if I look at the allegations, I am not sure what to think. It includes a few things that really shouldn't be done according to NCAA rules, but mostly things that have you wonder whether NCAA rules are also morally correct. The lying about it is bad though. That said: can he recruit without getting into trouble? I mean he has the HS connection, but I doubt anyone really knows if that translates to FBS recruits for him. I guess he is a promising candidate who may deserve a second chance, but he does need monitoring on the recruiting trail.

Another thing that kind of worries me, if Seth too loyal to his Oklahoma ties? I think this guy was a GA when Seth played.

I agree with much of what you said. However, I don't care about being morally correct.  Hopefully with a strong support system here we won't have to worry about anything.  

• Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Other than the NCAA violations, my biggest question mark is why was he let go from Lamar? If he wasn't let go for anything negative, why wasn't he snatched up by any other college football program last season? Does Port Neches have some really good recruit we wanted!

New head coach did not retain him at Lamar.

• Upvote 1

Decent article:

http://theexaminer.com/sites/default/files/LU coach profiles.pdf

Definitely not the sexiest pick, especially with the former TTech and OSU on the market.  Of course, they may have been candidates or they may not have been interested.  Who knows.  

At one time this guy was an up and comer until he ran into some trouble.  Not sure what to make of him.  Definitely been around the block in Texas and should bring a lot of familiarity with Southeast TX and Southern LA.  Hope we know what we are doing here. 

Edited by TreeFiddy

23 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

At one time this guy was an up and comer until he ran into some trouble.  Not sure what to make of him.  Definitely been around the block in Texas and should bring a lot of familiarity with Southeast TX and Southern LA.  Hope we know what we are doing here. 

would be nice to recruit in LA and south texas as well...