Bowl attendance

Graddean

4 minutes ago, Graddean said:

HofD had the third largest bowl attendance thus far behind the Armed Forces bowl and the Holiday bowl. 

Date played Winning team Losing team Attendance  
January 1, 2011 Texas Tech 45 Northwestern 38 40,121  
January 2, 2012 Houston 30 Penn State 14 46,817  
January 1, 2013 Oklahoma State 58 Purdue 14 48,313  
January 1, 2014 North Texas 36 UNLV 14 38,380  
December 26, 2014 Louisiana Tech 35 Illinois 18 31,297  
December 26, 2015 Washington 44 Southern Miss 31 20,229  
December 27, 2016 Army 38 North Texas 31 39,117  

Of the CUSA teams to play in the Heart of Dallas Bowl, North Texas has had the highest attended games.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

The 39,117 was the highest for a game not played on New Year's Day or January 2 (on Monday).

That said, I find it hard to believe this was only a few hundred more than January 1, 2014. Army had a lot more fans than UNLV. Was NT that much less than the game three years ago? It sure didn't seem like it.

Edited by rws69
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, rws69 said:

The 39,117 was the highest for a game not played on New Year's Day or January 2 (on Monday).

That said, I find it hard to believe this was only a few hundred more than January 1, 2014. Army had a lot more fans than UNLV. Was NT that much less than the game three years ago? It sure didn't seem like it.

Yes. I sat on the UNLV side and could see the entire NT side. We had quite a few folks in the 2nd deck last time. I also don't remember the North End Zone being blocked off. We also outnumbered UNLV on their own side last go around. NT probably brought 5k less this time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, rws69 said:

Funny because people were saying no one from the Army side would come down for the game. Army, AF, Navy all have vets from all over that go just to support the branch and it was great to see Army bring so many fans. Also, if it had been on New Years Day, I think its very possible that the entire lower bowl would have been sold out. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The 39k in attendance yesterday proved/confirmed two things

1. North Texas fans can make the trip to Dallas - with a good offseason and a well-played victory over Lamar to open things, there's no reason we shouldn't invade Ford Stadium in full force next year
  2. Army vets/fans from the Metroplex will turn out to support a good Army program - I didn't venture over to the Army side but would love to know if there was some sort of promotion inviting those fans to Denton for the Nov 18 return date.  I'm also hopeful Wren can work with those guys to make sure every fan in attendance - regardless of affiliation - is reminded between now and then that they need to be at Apogee next fall.

• Upvote 4

And North Texas has yet to play the HOD contracted Big 10 school.

Our game being 2 days after Christmas & on a work day with our UNT support blew away many I spoke to. 

Super alum George Derr asked our older nestors tailgate group "hey fellers, remember back in the day when we knew most our fans by first name?!?" ?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Graddean said:

HofD had the third largest bowl attendance thus far behind the Armed Forces bowl and the Holiday bowl. 

Is there a website/ link that keeps up with this stat? I would be interested to see where our bowl attendance lands once the remains bowls are played. We definetly had great attendance! 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

4 hours ago, MEANGREEN07 said:

I definitely think a Jan 2 (Monday) game would've attracted many more people than a Tuesday mid week game did. I do like that HOD likes us because we do bring fans, that's been proven twice now. 

I was there last time with my brother and our two sons, but none of us could make it this year because of work.  I'm sure there are many like us who would have loved to have been there, but it was just not possible. 

This article is being updated with each bowl game.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/college-football/college-football-bowl-game-attendance-2016-17-1.12784796

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Is there a website/ link that keeps up with this stat? I would be interested to see where our bowl attendance lands once the remains bowls are played. We definetly had great attendance! 

Edited by brooks91
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, brooks91 said:

Thanks. It would be really nice to stay in the top 10-15 in attendance for bowl games. That would bode well for us in the future and show that we can get fans to show up to games. I'm wondering what the first game at apogee will look like next year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

These attendance figures must include tickets given away and not "In Attendance".  Take the nine main sections on our side (the C-USA Side) for instance.  

These 9 sections (sections 20-28) were pretty much full but only back up to just above the portals, which ended below the 50th row.  Each row seats 24 (less as you get lower and in the corners, but I'll include them as all the same) people across.  So 24 X 50 X 9 = 10,800.

Despite all of  that......we know there wasn't 10,800 people in those 9 sections from row 50 and down because not every seat was taken.  Still, there were people here and there sitting in rows 51 and above but probably no more than 50 to 100 at best per section as everyone had lots of room to move about up there.  There were 34 people behind me from rows 51 and up in my section at the 50 yard line.  I'll overestimate the total in those 9 sections at 11,800.

So cconsidering that visually these 9 sections were easily the most crowded sections of the 27 total sections opened for seating .......where were the other 27,000 to 28,000 people sitting at?  

Even if the remaining 18 sections were half full from rows 50 on down to the field....(which they were not even close to being)...that would only be 10,800 ....leaving about 17,000 still missing.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

North Texas has something to build on, and I think we have cemented our self as the HOD's top choice in C-USA. After the game North Texas and Army played, I'm sure the members of the HOD committee were patting each other on the back. When you look at our attendance in comparison to other supposed more prestigious bowls, with P5 teams playing, it looks even more impressive. If we can get back to the HOD next season, I think they will be bending over backwards to get us a P5 opponent, or another service academy.

HOD 39,117 North Texas (5-7) vs. Army (7-5)

Pinstripe 37,918 Pitt (8-4) vs. Northwestern (6-6)

Independence 28,995 Vandy (6-6) vs. NC State (6-6)

Foster Farms 27,608 Utah (8-4) vs. Indiana (6-6)

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 4

Even for people that came to the game on free tickets keep in mind they still probably spent money in other areas such as parking, dart transportation to the game, concessions, food, etc.  I still think it's a positive number and I'm telling you as long as NT can secure 6 wins every year I think we will always have an open invitation to the HoD Bowl. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Green Mean said:

Even for people that came to the game on free tickets keep in mind they still probably spent money in other areas such as parking, dart transportation to the game, concessions, food, etc.  I still think it's a positive number and I'm telling you as long as NT can secure 6 wins every year I think we will always have an open invitation to the HoD Bowl. 

...and ATM fees.  (Sheesh, cash only concessions.)

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

@FirefightnRick They must all be that way because if Hawaii had 23k for their bowl, I'm a meth-making chemistry teacher in New Mexico.

Agree.

3 hours ago, Green Mean said:

Say we were to pull off a 9 to 10 win season and break into the top 25 some year, I can see all 6 Texas bowls, especially  the HOD and the AFBowl fighting over us.  

Itll be crazy around here.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2