We need to talk about the actual game

NorthTexan95

We have enough threads on uniforms and ties and everything else besides the actual game. 

So ... who will be our starting quarterback?  I know Wilson played a little in the final game but will he be at full health for the game (we really need him)?  Who else may be back from injury for the game?  Will Army have their passing QB back?

As for the game plan ... will we run more in the first half than last time we played Army?  Will Army figure out a counter to how we stopped them last game?  

• Upvote 6

I expect Bradshaw ( I think that is his name), the same QB we faced in New York,  to start for Army.  The "good news" for the Mean Green is that he is not a passing QB....currently under 50% completion rate for the year.  Who will start for UNT will depend on practice leading up to the bowl and Fine's health.  If Fine is healthy and fit I would expect to see him start as I think he gives Army more to "consider" in their defensive game planning.

• Upvote 3

That sure was a cornerstone of our last visit to the HOD.  Man watching the defense rise up and play out of its mind and shut down unlv was sweet. 

UNT caused some serious disruption in October and if they can do this again I like our chances.  That game really was support across the board.  Defense supported offense and when O had the ball they supported the D.  It was nicely balanced which is how you beat discipline. 

Beat Army Go Mean Green!!!!!

• Upvote 4

I think the advantage in a second matchup always goes to the loser of the first game.   Obviously, the revenge motive; but also the fact that they can game plan against NT based on the first game.  

Obviously, what they did the first game didn't work so there are going to be changes.  Does NT change their approach even thought it worked great the first game, because they know Army will make major adjustments?  Running the triple option will limit those adjustments, but I would expect some significant variations from the first matchup.

NT has the most talent, but so do nearly all teams that play service academies.   NT is going to have a much tougher time this game and if they can't match Army's intensity, this could be a very disappointing game. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

We have enough threads on uniforms and ties and everything else besides the actual game. 

So ... who will be our starting quarterback?  I know Wilson played a little in the final game but will he be at full health for the game (we really need him)?  Who else may be back from injury for the game?  Will Army have their passing QB back?

As for the game plan ... will we run more in the first half than last time we played Army?  Will Army figure out a counter to how we stopped them last game?  

Would like to see some of the trick plays used in the Southern Miss game. They will be adjusting their game plan and I hope we do the same!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, BeatNavy said:

We don't have a "passing QB".

"The Carter factor

Sophomore quarterback Chris Carter's success in Army's final two games last season has coaches thinking pass more in 2016. Carter threw for 348 yards, including 208 against Navy in his first two starts. Army's other quarterbacks averaged 78 yards over the Black Knights' first 10 games."

http://www.recordonline.com/sports/20160811/no-passing-thought-army-to-throw-more

11 hours ago, Eastwood Eagle said:

One thing that makes me nervous is that Army made a ton of mistakes. I don't expect them to make the same amount of mistakes this time around.

This.

One aspect that seems to have gotten glossed over in our win - we didn't stop them other than getting turnovers.  They had 400 (300 rushing) yards of offense to our 320.  They had 37+ mins of possession to our 22+.

So, in my opinion our coaching staff didn't really come up with a marvelous plan to stop the option attack.  If I am Army I look at that and say we do the same thing and not turn then ball over 7 times, we probably win.

We earned the turnovers, but that's not something you can expect again so we better come up with 1) a way to slow down their option and 2) a way to keep the ball away from them.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, Mickey said:

We earned the turnovers, but that's not something you can expect again so we better come up with 1) a way to slow down their option and 2) a way to keep the ball away from them.

An interesting note regarding game planning:  This year UNT will have spent a total of FIVE WEEKS game planning for Amy vs Army's three weeks total game planning for North Texas (courtesy of the scheduling of our bye week as well as the Army/Navy game).

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

An interesting note regarding game planning:  This year UNT will have spent a total of FIVE WEEKS game planning for Amy vs Army's three weeks total game planning for North Texas (courtesy of the scheduling of our bye week as well as the Army/Navy game).

If I had to guess our coaches were beginning to gameplan for Army this past week knowing they were going to draw them again.  Which gives us a full 2 weeks to gameplan before implementation.  Which would start the end of this week which I would assume our practices will too since our coaches (praying they're out recruiting like crazy).

3 hours ago, Mickey said:

This.

One aspect that seems to have gotten glossed over in our win - we didn't stop them other than getting turnovers.  They had 400 (300 rushing) yards of offense to our 320.  They had 37+ mins of possession to our 22+.

So, in my opinion our coaching staff didn't really come up with a marvelous plan to stop the option attack.  If I am Army I look at that and say we do the same thing and not turn then ball over 7 times, we probably win.

A few thoughts ...

* We ran maybe 18 offensive plays in the first half?  Part of that time of possession advantage for them was based on our offense being so bad in the first half except for the one offensive score. 

* On the other side, while we didn't shut down their defense we mostly limited the big plays.  If you can make them run three plays to get a first down instead of one or two then you're increasing their opportunity to put the ball on the ground.  Also, if you're always hitting them and always have a several players in on a tackle then you increase your opportunity to pull the ball away and recover it.

* We didn't need 7 turnovers to beat them.  The last three or four were really after the game was basically decided.

In this game we need our offense to play better for the entire game.  We need Wilson and Ivory to make plays in the running game.  If our defense can match their work from the first game, even with much fewer turnovers, we should do very well. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

If I had to guess, Army will look at the UTEP game and tweak their gameplan.

Trying to get to the outside is playing to our strength.  Army may come in and try to just punch us in the mouth this time.  Nothing fancy...see if we can go toe to toe with them.  

They'll be running the same gameplan they always run then.   The FB dive up the middle has been their bread-&-butter play all year long.
Our defense keyed on that play and was obviously very successful.

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

They'll be running the same gameplan they always run then.   The FB dive up the middle has been their bread-&-butter play all year long.

It mostly worked. Long carries of 11, 13, 15, 27, 22. 

The defense put us in a position to win. We need the offense to step up.

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

FB dive up the middle isn't that explosive.  I hope they continue to do that.  

If they want to get better results, I would mix in a faster, quicker back and attack the middle. That would give them a better chance for big plays.  

19 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

FB dive up the middle isn't that explosive.  I hope they continue to do that.  

If they want to get better results, I would mix in a faster, quicker back and attack the middle. That would give them a better chance for big plays.  

It may not be explosive but it works. Gets first downs, moves the chains, scores, keeps opposing offense from scoring, and they do mix in lots of smaller backs. That offensive line esta good.

By nearly every offensive metric, Army is better than North Texas. This isn't going to be the same game.

Those linebackers are very good, and are going to take away our usually decent pass game over the middle (Thompson). We are going to have to attack on the ground again, and be effective and getting past those linebackers. Going to have to convert the screens into long gains, going to have to connect on those deep pass plays.

• Upvote 2