For the 2 percenters

Harry

4 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Hahahahaa no! They played for the national championship. Stop being so naive. 

OFFSIDES!  5 yard penalty

6 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

No when you count parking or use DART. (Dart cost minimal but when you car is broken into like it was for the SMU game when I used it last year...)  And $50 seats are end zone  seat in stadium that pales in comparison to Apogee.  I find it ironic that people piss all over the idea of having a meaningful annual rivalry game in the Cotton Bowl in season during the State Fair think a "bowl" game there in bad weather with nothing going on in Fair Park is awesome.  Also to duplicate the view I purchase for Apogee home games the cost for this game is more than double $35 Apogee Sideline - $75 HoD Bowl Sideline.

http://www.theunticket.com/audio/drops//Hardline - Barry Switzer - Aw%2C Mike.wav

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

12 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

Really it came down to Army or Navy and  its right for La Tech to draw the better team of the two and thus we get the rematch.  I'd much rather play Army than Navy at this point anyways.  

Did Alabama or LSU complain when they had to play a rematch in their bowl game a few years ago?!?!  This is the same, right? 

dude...That was for a national championship. Hardly the same. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 9

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

Not buying this.  The local FBS fans that don't care about UNT football aren't going to pause for this.  It might help in the "extended" local area outside of DFW.  With all that said I would rather donate $50 to the MGC than go to this game, sorry.

Checks in the mail?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Harry said:

I have read a couple of posts from fans disappointed about playing Army in the bowl game.  Instead of slamming you as a disloyal, out of touch fan, I would like to take a shot at reason:

- Bowl attendance = program power.  Last years HOD bowl brought in 20,229.  Our last game there we brought 40K and they were all ours.  That was a powerful showing for us and likely the main reason we got invited back again at 5-7.  Another good bowl showing will really make a statement that could help us infinitely in the future.

- This is only the 9th bowl game in the history of the North Texas football program, a history which goes back to 1913.  If you care about the program you certainly want to be able to say you were able to attend when they played in a bowl.

- Recruiting -- we will most certainly have some key DFW area recruits at this game and a good crowd will help us in regards to landing them.

- City of Dallas -- we are trying to build ties into the city, and having another good crowd at the Cotton Bowl venue and Fair Park will only build on that.

- Seth Littrell is only the 2nd UNT coach in all time to have a bowl team in his 1st season as coach.  The last one was Odus Mitchell.  We need to show him our support as he is only going to continue to build this team into the program we have hoped for.

- It's a cheap date!  Most fans have to get hotel, flights etc to follow their teams to bowl games.  This is a game you can easily drive to if you live in the area. 

These are just some of the reasons and I am sure there are many more. 

GMG

All good points, which I agree with, but equally valid points include...

There are too many bowls, 5-7 teams shouldn't go bowling, bowl games shouldn't be rematches, ticket prices are a bit out of market for this game.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

I only missed Southern Miss game and that was not by choice.  I also went to 2 watch game parties this year for road games.  And I went several meaningless games at Apogee last year.  Maybe I should be more specific; I am not interested in the meaningless rematch in the same season.   

No when you count parking or use DART. (Dart cost minimal but when you car is broken into like it was for the SMU game when I used it last year...)  And $50 seats are end zone  seat in stadium that pales in comparison to Apogee.  I find it ironic that people piss all over the idea of having a meaningful annual rivalry game in the Cotton Bowl in season during the State Fair think a "bowl" game there in bad weather with nothing going on in Fair Park is awesome.  Also to duplicate the view I purchase for Apogee home games the cost for this game is more than double $35 Apogee Sideline - $75 HoD Bowl Sideline.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Changing the culture has to start somewhere, and a bowl game is a great place to start. If we want our coaches to get a better reception when they are out recruiting (the best way for our W/L record to improve), we better show up and at least act like a legitimate FBS program. 

? Ditto, SE!

Just Scatter-shootin' From the Hip:

✳️ For all practical purposes, the HOD Bowl Game Day will be the official beginning of the last 2 months of Coach Littrell & his staff's recruiting season with signing date in February.  

✳️ Undoubtedly, we will have more area & state-wide recruits with pedigree at this one game we probably couldn't have even said hello to before this invite today.  What kind of 1'st impression they get with our entire presentation (& attendance) will cause some of them to take a 2'nd look at North Texas.  

✳️ Like Harry insinuated the $75 or $50 is not that much since few of us will be in a 4 star hotel & going out for 3 meals a day as many traveling college football fans traditionally do every bowl season. 

✳️ La Tech will have a field day with all of us if they sell more tickets to the Armed Services Bowl. They have a 4:30 pm kick so many of their fans will take a hotel for a night & do some tourist time at Billy Bobs & Stockyards Station. That will all be much more than $75 or $50.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, shaft said:

All good points, which I agree with, but equally valid points include...

There are too many bowls, 5-7 teams shouldn't go bowling, bowl games shouldn't be rematches, ticket prices are a bit out of market for this game.

So the best way to remedy that is to withdraw support for your alma mater? Got it. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

14 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Like I said, not up to me at this time of the year. For any of those I would have tried. If you had read any of the posts of those who aren't happy with the opponent, you would have learned that it has nothing to do with Army's reputation. It has to do with the fact that we'll see them every year through 2021. Part of the fun with bowl games is matching teams up with opponents they don't play on a regular basis. That aspect was completely ignored here.

That isn't what you said. You said you couldn't justify taking off.

Also, you and Ben laugh off the LSU/Bama suggestion because it was a championship game but where do you draw the championship rematch line? Conference championships? You already stated that bowl championships are meaningless to you.  

Should Wren and co turned down the bowl like Texas did? That'll show 'em. I can promise you it would've worked because there is no way in hell HOD would've claimed us again so you wouldn't have to worry about any rematches there.

I just can't fathom how you all expect to make your point when the people you're hurting most are the ones that had no control over the opponent in the first place and that is OUR program. Texas State isn't having a rematch in their bowl game, maybe you can go watch that one.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

That isn't what you said. You said you couldn't justify taking off.

Also, you and Ben laugh off the LSU/Bama suggestion because it was a championship game but where do you draw the championship rematch line? Conference championships? You already stated that bowl championships are meaningless to you.  

Should Wren and co turned down the bowl like Texas did? That'll show 'em. I can promise you it would've worked because there is no way in hell HOD would've claimed us again so you wouldn't have to worry about any rematches there.

I just can't fathom how you all expect to make your point when the people you're hurting most are the ones tha had no control over the opponent in the first place and that is OUR program. Texas State isn't having a rematch in their bowl game, maybe you can go watch that one.

It's not up to me at this time of the year, in order to get time off approved I would need to justify it and my reason better be good. A bowl game isn't good enough and I'm not going to lie to watch us play a rematch/game we'll play every year through 2021. Also, I never said conference championships were meaningless. Texas State isn't playing a bowl game. They finished 2-10.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

It's not up to me at this time of the year, in order to get time off approved I would need to justify it and my reason better be good. A bowl game isn't good enough and I'm not going to lie to watch us play a rematch/game we'll play every year through 2021. Also, I never said conference championships were meaningless. Texas State isn't playing a bowl game. They finished 2-10.

So you'd lie if we were playing someone else...I think I understand you now

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, billyboy85 said:

This is a UNT football forum right? Why is this a conversation? We're going to a BOWL! 

Because UNT football forums are where freedom of speech go to die unless you fall in line and follow the popular beliefs otherwise you better be tough enough to handle being stoned by a thousand -1s.

1 minute ago, emmitt01 said:

So you'd lie if we were playing someone else...I think I understand you now

Whatever helps you sleep at night. Don't forget to plug in your night light. 

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 5

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

And $50 seats are end zone  seat in stadium that pales in comparison to Apogee.

Just to set the record straight for those pricing things out, end zone seats for the HoD Bowl are $25 and are not available for purchase through UNT, which means the pre-game festivities are not included with end zone tickets. The $50 seats purchased through UNT are at the corners and include admission to the UNT pregame tailgate.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

And since  I brought up the subject of culture change. 

Are we going to have a football band show up to the HOA bowl, or is the Green Brigade going to be there?

Could we have a Headliner band play at half time? 

It doesn't mean you are a terrible fan to admit this is a turd in the bowl of games.

This is a lose lose.

1. We already fight the stigma of 'not deserving a bowl' -- 'too many bowls'

2. If we beat Army -- great, you already beat them. Awesome job. 

3. If we lose -- we lose on 'home turf' in front of 30k fans to a team we have already beaten.

Personally, (0% sarcasm)I realllllllly like traveling to BFE for games against teams we may never play again (GSU, Idaho). I am in the minority here, but I like it. It gives me a reason to travel and see our country and meet our people. HoD shafts what I like about these barely televised bowl games. Alas, I will stay in the Omni, fine dine the night before with my wife and friends, brunch the morning of and enjoy freezing my ass off during the game -- but that doesn't mean that most of me wishes I were in NM, Jamaica, Idaho, AZ or LV. 

Also, to you Polly Anna's, bringing 30k to your HOME metro doesn't tell other bowls you travel well. It means you show up a bit more than you home attendance in the same metroplex. Add that to #4 lose lose. If we managed to sell out 100k stadium, sure. That isn't happening with how this team finished out the year. 

As always. GMG. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 8

1 hour ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

It doesn't mean you are a terrible fan to admit this is a turd in the bowl of games.

This is a lose lose.

1. We already fight the stigma of 'not deserving a bowl' -- 'too many bowls'

2. If we beat Army -- great, you already beat them. Awesome job. 

3. If we lose -- we lose on 'home turf' in front of 30k fans to a team we have already beaten.

Personally, (0% sarcasm)I realllllllly like traveling to BFE for games against teams we may never play again (GSU, Idaho). I am in the minority here, but I like it. It gives me a reason to travel and see our country and meet our people. HoD shafts what I like about these barely televised bowl games. Alas, I will stay in the Omni, fine dine the night before with my wife and friends, brunch the morning of and enjoy freezing my ass off during the game -- but that doesn't mean that most of me wishes I were in NM, Jamaica, Idaho, AZ or LV. 

Also, to you Polly Anna's, bringing 30k to your HOME metro doesn't tell other bowls you travel well. It means you show up a bit more than you home attendance in the same metroplex. Add that to #4 lose lose. If we managed to sell out 100k stadium, sure. That isn't happening with how this team finished out the year. 

As always. GMG. 

Thank you.  I don't have the money the true bowl game experience but when I do, I will.  More power to everyone that goes.  I hope we win and I hope everyone has fun.  Oh, about those ticket prices.  I found cheaper tickets to the Cotton Bowl (Western Michigan vs Wisconsin).  Tickets are as low a $12 on Stubhub.   However tickets for our game on Stubhub start at $60.  (Yes, yes I know you should go through the North Texas ticket office).   it just isn't good value and if I am going to be charitable to my alma mater I would rather be direct about it instead of helping line the pockets of bowl committee members.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 8

I'm not sure it's ever productive to criticize fans for the level of support they choose to provide. 

Granted, some of those fans don't help themselves with their reasoning but still, that "2 percent" isn't going to make or break us. 

We're paying someone a lot of money to build and engage a new fan base. Here's hoping he's better than the last guy. 

• Upvote 7