HOD bowl VS.....

SSP

3 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Works both ways. HOD wanted us because we brought lots of folks last time, myself included, but they can't be surprised if we don't show up in mass this time due to the less than desired opponent.

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

Yes they can.  If we bring 15k to this then next year or the year after that they can sure a heck thing "Well, NT wasn't the lock we thought they were... lets see how UTSA can do."

I think from a HOD standpoint this is about as good a matchup as they could have got.  A local University and a military school gives them the possibility of having a good crowd.   

That however, doesn't make it a good match for either Army or NT.   Army does have the revenge factor and a nice trip to motivate it players.  NT should have a crowd advantage, but it is very hard to beat a team twice.  

I hope NT has a great crowd, but this is a 5-7 club and the novelty of a bowl game is not going to be near to what it was in the first HOD matchup.  Plus a much less desirable play date and always the specter of bad weather that could kill attendance.   

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

18 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Yes they can.  If we bring 15k to this then next year or the year after that they can sure a heck thing "Well, NT wasn't the lock we thought they were... lets see how UTSA can do."

I think i get what you're saying. Suck it up this time around for a better matchup in another year or two. I just can't imagine the average fan being exited about a game against a team we'll play every year through 2021. Would you be exited if the game was against UTSA? Or Southern Miss? Didn't think so.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 10

13 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think i get what you're saying. Suck it up this time around for a better matchup in another year or two. I just can't imagine the average fan being exited about a game against a team we'll play every year through 2021. Would you be exited if the game was against UTSA? Or Southern Miss? Didn't think so.

Abso-frickin-lutely. 

It's by God North Texas in a BOWL GAME. I'm so in no matter what it's insane.... can't imagine anyone who's cheered for this thing for any period of time NOT feeling that way, but hey... to each their own. 

• Upvote 7

12 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I don't think the casual UNT fan/alum is keeping track of our 2021 schedule, or even 2017 for that matter. If someone that doesn't follow the team very closely sees we're in a bowl, I doubt they're to going to look up our future OOC opponents to ensure we're not playing them again.

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, brooks91 said:

I don't think the casual UNT fan/alum is keeping track of our 2021 schedule, or even 2017 for that matter. If someone that doesn't follow the team very closely sees we're in a bowl, I doubt they're to going to look up our future OOC opponents to ensure we're not playing them again.

Good point.

Of those 20-30k "extra fans" we're trying to get in, who are not a part of the core 10k, how many actually even know we played them this year already? They see Army and think "oh cool, North Texas is playing Army!"

• Upvote 5

51 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

As a 5-7 team, you can't be picky; but playing Army again just should not happen.    I don't like this match at all.  Proves little if NT wins again, and if Army wins nullifies the best game of the year for NT.   

I don't agree.   If UNT wins, it shows that the first win forcing 7 turnovers was no fluke.   And if NT loses, how does it 'nullify' the win against So Miss?

34 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Works both ways. HOD wanted us because we brought lots of folks last time, myself included, but they can't be surprised if we don't show up in mass this time due to the less than desired opponent.

If UNT fans don't show up for this game like we did in 2013, it's not because of the opponent. It's because 2013's team was 8-4, and this year's team is 5-7.  
We brought 35k+ in 2013 to see UNLV, a team no one cared about.   I would not be surprised to see us bring fewer fans this time around, even though Army is a more attractive opponent than UNLV.

No one can fault the casual fan for jumping on board in 2013.  Same can be said for those staying home this year.   I'm still glad to be going though!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't agree.   If UNT wins, it shows that the first win forcing 7 turnovers was no fluke.   And if NT loses, how does it 'nullify' the win against So Miss?

If UNT fans don't show up for this game like we did in 2013, it's not because of the opponent. It's because 2013's team was 8-4, and this year's team is 5-7.  
We brought 35k+ in 2013 to see UNLV, a team no one cared about.   I would not be surprised to see us bring fewer fans this time around, even though Army is a more attractive opponent than UNLV.

No one can fault the casual fan for jumping on board in 2013.  Same can be said for those staying home this year.   I'm still glad to be going though!

Hopefully Army brings around 15,000 plus.... Could be a great environment!

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I appreciate your perspective and agree. People are looking at UNT and not the opponent and if the attendance is lower that will be why. It doesn't change what I believe about this matchup. The point of a bowl game is to play a team you wouldn't usually play. We aren't supposed to be here (based on last year's record) but with the scheduling we're still not getting the full experience of a bowl game. By 2021 we'll have played Army more times than we will have played some of our conference mates in the eastern division.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

4 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I appreciate your perspective and agree. People are looking at UNT and not the opponent and if the attendance is lower that will be why. It doesn't change what I believe about this matchup. The point of a bowl game is to play a team you wouldn't usually play. We aren't supposed to be here (based on last year's record) but with the scheduling we're still not getting the full experience of a bowl game. By 2021 we'll have played Army more times than we will have played some of our conference mates in the eastern division.

Sounds like a rivalry to me!

Any Army message boards we can go troll so they will do the same in turn here, & piss off the more emotional folks here?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

The mere possibility of a HOD bowl invite got me to schedule a vacation day. While I'd prefer a different opponent, I'm still going to go.

This is where I'm at. Putting my vacation request in tonight. If you're a NT fan, you take a freakin' Bowl invite anyway you're given it. Not sure why so many conplaints. I swear half you guys would complain if Beyoncé offered you a night cap after the game.....

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Anyone that complains is an idiot. 1-11 then turn around and get a bowl bid. Who cares if we will play Army a bunch over the next few years. Seriously, who cares. 

In recruiting battles we need as much exposure as we can get. Being in a bowl game on espn is a GREAT thing. Regardless of who we are playing, what time of day it is, where the stadium is, etc.  Stop complaining about ticket prices, or where your seat will be. 

Get excited that your team is in postseason play, cheer them on, and stop bitching. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, UTSA Fan said:

Attendance = Bowl invite. You hate Notre Dame and Penn State bowl runs but they bring the house. Buy the damn tickets and show up. If your really butt hurt, look at it as an investment for a 9 win season that UNT will get invited up a bowl because they sell tickets. 

I'm only butthurt because you used your out of context. 

I'll be at this game. That goes without saying. I'm just disappointed in the laziness of the bowl system. When would the bowl system not only pair P5 teams up that played one another in the regular season, but are also contracted to play each other for the next five years? Answer: They wouldn't. And that's where my feathers get a little rustled. The blatant disrespect to the "G5." 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

58 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

Good God man.

If you were told, in the middle of last year while Portland State was kicking our teeth in, that next year we'd be in a bowl game again, but it's on a Tuesday against a team we've already played, would you have turned that down???

Making observations is not complaining.  I am proud of what this team has done.  However just because we have been bad doesn't change me expectations when it comes to spending over $100 out of my tight entertainment budget.  I don't have other sports or school's gear in my house just loads of UNT stuff.  So don't question my financial commitment to the university when I am alumni association member,  and Mean Green Club member.  If I have a spare $100 around Christmas I would rather donated it directly to the MGC, the College of Engineering or the Alumni Association.   No I would not have turned a 5-7 season in midst of that garbage last year however I wouldn't pay take a vacation and spend over $100 to "celebrate" it.

53 minutes ago, brooks91 said:

Those casual fans aren't going take a day off work, sit in the cold in a bad stadium to see them play the same team they watched them play 2 months ago on TV either.  That being said if and I mean "IF" a good turnout will help us get a trip to the actual New Year's Day Cotton Bowl Game I hope people show up.  But you know what trumps all this BS talk about the quality of the bowl game you get?  Finish the season as the top rank G5 conference champion or finish the regular season with 2 losses or less.  That is he standard you should be aspiring too not hoping that a bowl committee sees your mediocre program as a cash cow.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8