1999 Highlights

DeepGreen

Those who were around in 1999, what are your thoughts after watching these highlights?  The teams we played and beat, the players, etc..   What could we have done different that would have put UNT in CUSA 10+ years sooner, and possibly at the top of the Big 12 expansion list today?  Where would we be today if Darrell Dickey had the facilities we now enjoy?  Dickey did bring in some talent.

Lastly, no comments necessary on "daffy eagle".  Watch all of it you M'fers!

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Those who were around in 1999, what are your thoughts after watching these highlights?  The teams we played and beat, the players, etc..   What could we have done different that would have put UNT in CUSA 10+ years sooner, and possibly at the top of the Big 12 expansion list today?  Where would we be today if Darrell Dickey had the facilities we now enjoy?  Dickey did bring in some talent.

To be honest, I had seen enough of Darrell Dickey by that point to move on.  His gameday playcalling was incredibly unimaginative.  Later on his style worked when he had enough hosses in the trenches to roll over everybody.

I thought it was made pretty clear that our facilities were what kept us out of C-USA back around '04.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Lastly, no comments necessary on "daffy eagle".  Watch all of it you M'fers!

Saw a daffy eagle trailer hitch today and really wanted to flag the guy down and talk. Was it one of you?

Posting of the 1999 highlights was meant to show folks "not in the know" which teams we use to play, and win against, and the caliber of players we had.  No, Dickey was not the best play caller.  Hell, I was in the stands at TCU yelling "Dickey, throw the ball", along with countless fans.  Based on the Dodge and Mac hires, I'd say we did pretty good back in 1999, comparatively speaking.  Too bad we didn't have an administration that would have gotten us a new stadium back then.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Posting of the 1999 highlights was meant to show folks "not in the know" which teams we use to play, and win against, and the caliber of players we had.  No, Dickey was not the best play caller.  Hell, I was in the stands at TCU yelling "Dickey, throw the ball", along with countless fans.  Based on the Dodge and Mac hires, I'd say we did pretty good back in 1999, comparatively speaking.  Too bad we didn't have an administration that would have gotten us a new stadium back then.

I thought you asked for the thoughts of those who were there?  Yes, I was also in the stands at the TCU game that year--I don't think I yelled "throw the ball," but I sure thought it.

Dickey was obviously better than Dodge, but the first 3 years of Dickey were all worse than the 2 preceding years under Simon.

4 hours ago, Cerebus said:

A lot of West Texas boys on that squad (The Pertiles, JaQuay, Moody, etc) and I never did understand why we abandoned that area especially when the only P5 team that really covers it (TT) ran an offense that was so against what most HS's out there used to run.  

I've been wondering the same thing for many years.  We use to do well out in West Texas.

25 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I wasn't around back then. So can somebody explain why we're celebrating a 2-9 team?

Those two wins were Texas Tech (in Lubbock) and Boise State (on the blue astroturf).  It's a lot better than getting murdered by Portland State... so you have to keep that in mind.  

On 8/13/2016 at 5:38 PM, Cerebus said:

A lot of West Texas boys on that squad (The Pertiles, JaQuay, Moody, etc) and I never did understand why we abandoned that area especially when the only P5 team that really covers it (TT) ran an offense that was so against what most HS's out there used to run.  

West Texas football aint nearly what it used to be. Permian is still fairly relevant but Lee has been down for a while and you never know from Odessa/Midland high. Abilene High is usually solid, and San Angelo Central was good these past couple of seasons. West Texas football is just a lot more inconsistent it seems these days. Much more so than DFW/Houston metroplexes