Everyone needs to chill

Harry

In some ways the board seems more at odds than it was prior to the RV exit stage left.  In the interest of board unity I offer the following thoughts:

-  Major changes have been made, we just have to be patient and believe that Prez Smatty will do the right thing.  His moves on the consultant hire and the meetings tell us that he does care what the fanbase  thinks which is a positive.  I think we will all be very pleased with the hire.

- There will always be naysayers when there is change.  I choose to believe that things will be better and in time much better.  I love the Littrell hire and the moves he is making in recruiting already tells me that he means serious business.  This is not a  retirement job for Littrell.  He and his staff are going places.  It should be a fun ride.

- As much as I hate it, we really sucked last season and most of the last decade.  So we have some dark clouds over us and the prognosticators are doing what they do and it does not put us in a very good light.  When this team comes out and plays competitively I think it will erase a lot of the darkness.

- Change takes time -- it will take some time to get the new AD and his/her staff in place and begin changing policy and procedure.  This was a 16-year regime and dismantling that will not happen overnight, especially the revamping of scheduling.

- Attendance -- Vito points to a 5 game home schedule which was possibly one of the worst seasons in the history of the program during which our head coach was fired after a game??  I realize our attendance needs to improve and it WILL when we WIN.   Period.  Win and good things happen.  Lose and bad things happen.  We need to WIN. 

So, let's keep in mind we are just a few weeks before Fall camp and soon will have the SMU game to open the season in Apogee.    We will have some new leadership in place.  Let's give them the benefit of the doubt.  Let's show our support and appreciation that these changes are being made for the good of the program. 

24 minutes ago, Harry said:

In some ways the board seems more at odds than it was prior to the RV exit stage left.  In the interest of board unity I offer the following thoughts:

-  Major changes have been made, we just have to be patient and believe that Prez Smatty will do the right thing.  His moves on the consultant hire and the meetings tell us that he does care what the fanbase  thinks which is a positive.  I think we will all be very pleased with the hire.

- There will always be naysayers when there is change.  I choose to believe that things will be better and in time much better.  I love the Littrell hire and the moves he is making in recruiting already tells me that he means serious business.  This is not a  retirement job for Littrell.  He and his staff are going places.  It should be a fun ride.

- As much as I hate it, we really sucked last season and most of the last decade.  So we have some dark clouds over us and the prognosticators are doing what they do and it does not put us in a very good light.  When this team comes out and plays competitively I think it will erase a lot of the darkness.

- Change takes time -- it will take some time to get the new AD and his/her staff in place and begin changing policy and procedure.  This was a 16-year regime and dismantling that will not happen overnight, especially the revamping of scheduling.

- Attendance -- Vito points to a 5 game home schedule which was possibly one of the worst seasons in the history of the program during which our head coach was fired after a game??  I realize our attendance needs to improve and it WILL when we WIN.   Period.  Win and good things happen.  Lose and bad things happen.  We need to WIN. 

So, let's keep in mind we are just a few weeks before Fall camp and soon will have the SMU game to open the season in Apogee.    We will have some new leadership in place.  Let's give them the benefit of the doubt.  Let's show our support and appreciation that these changes are being made for the good of the program. 

Yep

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

12 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Blame the continued conflict on off-season angst.  There is less to complain about concerning NT athletics than in decades.    

^

This happens in the off-season.

Every off-season.

And it's kinda fun.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 6

5 hours ago, GMG24 said:

No idea if you have the power or pull, however if you do can you PLEASE make sure that by next camp season prospective students athletes can sign up for our camps online?  Do you remember the question I asked about allowing coaches to navigate our website for the THSCA Button to Mr. Keuhne?  Well several of my athletes do not have a printer at home, obviously I helped them and got it printed and they filled it out and mailed it in.   How many kids have that support?  Lets just make it as easy as possible.  I am sure I will get 1,000,000,000,000,000 down votes for the link I am going to paste.  However, just check out how easy it is to sign up for SMU camp.  Google SMU FOOTBALL CAMP, click the first link that pops up.  Then go from there very slick layout very cool website.  I hope and pray we can get this together under our new AD. 

http://www.ponyuptempo.com/camps

Feedback is appreciated.  

I don't know if the AD is aware that the Internet exists...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 8

I want to believe in Smatty and SL.

The fact that Benford is still employed is a black cloud hanging over Mean Green Country.

The groundwork is (hopefully) being laid, but a couple of early season wins in football will go a long ways towards chipping away at the malaise affecting the fanbase. Couple that with some needed changes/progress throughout the AD and a new coach to provide some MBB excitement and we will all look back at this time with relief that it's over.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, GMG24 said:

No idea if you have the power or pull, however if you do can you PLEASE make sure that by next camp season prospective students athletes can sign up for our camps online?  Do you remember the question I asked about allowing coaches to navigate our website for the THSCA Button to Mr. Keuhne?  Well several of my athletes do not have a printer at home, obviously I helped them and got it printed and they filled it out and mailed it in.   How many kids have that support?  Lets just make it as easy as possible.  I am sure I will get 1,000,000,000,000,000 down votes for the link I am going to paste.  However, just check out how easy it is to sign up for SMU camp.  Google SMU FOOTBALL CAMP, click the first link that pops up.  Then go from there very slick layout very cool website.  I hope and pray we can get this together under our new AD. 

http://www.ponyuptempo.com/camps

Feedback is appreciated.  

Agree 100%.

And your suggestion concerning giving HS coaches easy access at the gate for home games was spot on as well.

I think you need to have a conversation with Scotty Conley IMO.

Rick

• Upvote 3

I feel optimistic.  I see the good changes being made.  I went to the Fort Worth Alumni Mixer today and met some really great folks excited to build interest in our University - all programs.  There was a nice call out to make sure we get to Denton for the opener.  I see a whole new generation of Mean Green leaders 20 years younger than me selling my University and feeling proud.   We have great leadership and much opportunity ahead.  Support support support. 

I also went by the Dallas Memorial today and took some pics with the officers doling out hugs, smiles and water.  One of the Officers noticed my Mean Green shirt and said he couldn't wait to be cheering on a winning football team.  I told him the only way to go was up and he smiled and said he was looking forward to it and loved that attitude.  There are a lot of closet alum just waiting for us to break through.  

Time to jump on the Green Train!

GMG

• Upvote 5

17 hours ago, Harry said:

Agree.  I've already said 4-6 wins is doable.  So, I'm not in the freak out crowd.  I understand that we are in a conference where most of the other schools face the same predicament we do - even though their ADs haven't been/weren't RV. 

While we are at it @Harry, can we make the posters that are not mean green faithful pad their post count in the proper forum? I'm lookin at you Coach UAB.

The Eagles Nest (There Should be Pie For Everyone Forum)

The one and only. The place for Non-UNT Sports and general discussions. Pretty much everything goes. EXCEPT FOR POLITICS, UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. Not a place for the timid or shy, but still a place where basic decency must be adhered to. 

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think everyone is still tense because if the wrong AD choice is made then nothing really has changed.   When the replacement is named, you are either going to see a huge sigh of relief and tension dropping way down... or you may as well shut the board down.  Because if the wrong choice is made people are going to be eating each other in streets and on this forum. 

Time for the University to prove that they really do care about WINNING Athletics and that they are committed to providing the proper resources.  If they do, they will be pleasantly surprised by the response.  If they don't, the surprise won't be pleasant.  

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I think everyone is still tense because if the wrong AD choice is made then nothing really has changed.   When the replacement is named, you are either going to see a huge sigh of relief and tension dropping way down... or you may as well shut the board down.  Because if the wrong choice is made people are going to be eating each other in streets and on this forum. 

Time for the University to prove that they really do care about WINNING Athletics and that they are committed to providing the proper resources.  If they do, they will be pleasantly surprised by the response.  If they don't, the surprise won't be pleasant.  

+1

• Upvote 1